Protein.... Yuck

BerniN
on 5/14/11 11:43 pm - TX
 Help! I'm 6 days post surgery and I'm really having a hard time meeting my 40gm/day protein goal. I've tried several different supplements but they all smell and taste sooooo bad!!! I'm really having to force it down. When I go to the store to look everything comes in such big, costly containers I don't want to waste my money on something else that will taste and smell bad. My current best is 35gm in one day.  Help! I don't want to loose my hair and I know I need the protein to heal! What is good out there?

(Some of those I've tried are Isopure, Nectar, and healthy shots)

Kitty1975
on 5/14/11 11:57 pm - Canada
I was the same way up till about a week ago. I bought Premier Protein shakes at Costco and i love it! I have no troubles swallowing it like i did others. Its only 5 carbs, 160 Calories and 30 grams protein!

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
snowbaby
on 5/15/11 12:02 am - Durango, CO
40 grams a day is all you're required to get in a day??? I (and I think most of us) was required to get 80 minimum. The protein sources you mention are nasty IMO. Have you tried Atkins shakes? Have you tried mixing a ready-to-drink protein shake with sugar-free pudding? What about mixing greek yogurt with prepared sugar-free jello? If all you're required is 40 grams - you can do it!
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

SassyItalian
on 5/15/11 12:04 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
arguably you have tried some of the grossest ones on the market. isopure has the nickname isopuke for a reason. your safest bet is costco's premier protein shakes in chocolate- they are a crowd pleaser. way more drinkable than the others.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Kim_M
on 5/15/11 12:05 am - LaPorte, TX
I know I spent hundreds.I like bsc brands called dessert I like the swiss choc best tast like a malt!!!No whey taste I found at gnc and the yogurt places sell it and Viatimn shoppe about 22.00 The choc pudding is okay but really thick and cinnamon I eat it everynow in then swiss is the best!!!

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
MediumSoon
on 5/15/11 12:05 am - TX
First - don't worry about your hair just yet - and I'll tell you - I average way over my protein goal and am losing lots of hair (sorry for the bad news). Anyway - For the protein - the only one I tried that I liked ok (and not too too expensive) were the Atkins protein shakes. Get what you can - you are very early out. As soon as you are on food it gets much much easier!! I haven't had a protein drink/powder/whatever since 2 weeks post-op, so there is an end in sight!!

cindibarre
on 5/15/11 12:09 am - Danforth, ME
Have you tried EAS Advantage Shakes.  They come in a 4 pack in a variety of flavors.  I like the Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate versions.  16 gms/ per shake.  My doc is suggesting supplementing with Unjury protein powder.

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
BerniN
on 5/15/11 12:15 am - TX
 OK, I've got to get to the store! I had no idea there were some that actually could taste better. Sue, my goal this week was 40/day (but I'm still on clear liquids)...... no pudding, no cream soups yet. Next week my daily goal jumps to 60...... and, maybe up from there later.  I know it will get easier when I can have food. I went to the grocery store yesterday and was looking at anything high in protein that is on my next stage of full liquids and have gotten a bit of this and a bit of that. My other problem is that I dislike milk and milk products........ however, I'm willing to re-try anything.... my tastes are changing for sure.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!

Stephanie M.
on 5/15/11 12:34 am
Also try www.vitaminlady.com. You can get individual samples from her without having to try whole tubs.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

newdirectionhome
on 5/15/11 12:43 am
 The only protein I can get down and enjoy is Beneprotein. I can only find it online, but it has absolutely no chemical flavor, doesn't clump, and can be added to almost anything. I was given it in the hospital. The other one I can tolerate diluted one to one with milk is chocolate Muscle Milk Light from Costco. 

Also, buy your stuff at stores that takes thing back, if you can. Costco definitely refunds and I think GNC does, too. 

Good luck, it took me a long time to find one product I like.
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views