Surgery Scheduled -- Questions I have

momof3liloneswife21
on 5/17/11 8:02 am
So I've learned a lot from reading so many posts the last 2 months.  And after "patiently" waiting the last 2 weeks for my insurance approval, I got the call today with my surgery date.  It's June 8.  It actually fits perfectly into our family schedule and work schedule -- smack dab between our daycare being closed, work commitments for me and my hubby, etc.  Woo hoo! 

Unfortunately, though, since it falls on a Wednesday, I will come home on that Friday, which means we'll have our 3 little ones at home for my first 2 full days home.  We have a 5, 3 and 1 year old.  Busy busy busy is our home.  We don't have a lot of favors we can call in, and don't have family in the area.  Just wondering from you with little ones when you had your surgery -- is this insane to do -- meaning, should I see if I can schedule the surgery on like a Monday so that my first days home the kids are in daycare?  My husband is awesome, but our 3 kids being that young are high need  :)  ... and they love their momma and it will be hard and confusing for them if I'm in the house and they can't have me.  Or -- will I be up to handling them?  The doc said as long as I'm not lifting them the first day or so, I should be fine.  What do you all think?

Another question -- silly one, in comparison -- do any of you watch/follow the show Ruby? 

Other more pressing questions to come..... I've read the newbie VSG help posts....  kiddos are calling!  :)
Chris

BriarRose
on 5/17/11 11:37 am
I would hire a baby sitter for several hours each day. Find a high school kid or even two, have them come in for 4 to 6 hours, and have really great new (can be cheapy) stuff to do with the kids. (new crayons and construction paper, craft materials to build something, a big refrigerator box to decorate and make into a fort, or a house or something.....Have things made up ahead of time for meals that someone can just stick into the oven or microwave. Planning ahead is going to be the most important thing you can do. Since you/ and husband will be home, you can even hire younger kids like a couple of jr high school girls or boys to keep the kids busy, and tire them out. Then when the kids are all hot and tired, dad can tub them and tuck them in.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
ccbelle14
on 5/17/11 12:32 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Congrats on getting your date!

I don't have kids, and I had a really easy recovery, but I would still encourage you to have some help. You will want to spend the first few days on the couch/in bed, resting and getting better. You will need the time. See if your husband can take a few days off or if you're able to get some help from a high schooler (like the poster above said).

Or, see if you can reschedule!

Highest Weight (2008): 360  Surgery Consult Weight: 340  Day of Surgery: 318
Height: 5'10"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views