PICC Line...ugghhhh!

toshiagirl19
on 5/21/11 1:28 am - Morrow, GA
My surgery is next Wednesday. I am getting a PICC line on Tuesday. I have seen videos on YouTube and let me say, that had I known that this was part of the process, this alone would have made me think twice...well not completely! I hope its not as bad or painful and my mind is telling me it is . I hope it's playing tricks on me, lol. BUT ANYWAYS, I am very excited about my surgery and the new lifestyle that soon awaits me!
MELMEL308
on 5/21/11 1:40 am - PA
I had a picc line and I was scared to get it at first because i thought it goes into the heart. it doesn't.. it goes into a large vein near your heart, but the IV site is in your upper part of your arm.. Its not as scary as it sounds.. I had to get a picc line because i was so swollen they couldnt get blood from me.. I was stuck 26 times, and of those times, twice in my feet, and twice in my groin.. please trust me when i say it is worth it.. if your veins are hard to get to like mine, you will think this is wonderful.. it just looks like an oversized IV site.... and its less of a pain in the ass than IVs because it is higher up on your arm so you can bend your arms and not worry about too many hanging and pulling wires that hurt...I wish my doctor would specify the picc line too..but he told me that after having my surgery, he is going to make it mandatory to have the picc line because it saves so much pain and sticking to the patient.. we are pumped with so much fluids that your veins are very hard to find.. I have bruises and marks all over my body from trying to get blood... you will be fine..good luck with your surgery..
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
toshiagirl19
on 5/21/11 5:12 am - Morrow, GA

Thank you MelMel308! I will get over it at some point, I guess. Maybe my excitement will overtake the nervousness. :)

I hope all is well with you and I wish you all the best!

disabled_nurse
on 5/21/11 2:29 am - Bogalusa, LA
they numb your arm before they start................................. just close your eyes, you want feel a thing, just a little pinch.................. you're going to do great!!

toshiagirl19
on 5/21/11 5:14 am - Morrow, GA
Thank you! I am so excited! My eyes are closed now just thinking about it. LOL.  I wish you all the best on your journey!
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 3:36 am
 I've never heard of this. Does everyone get it? 
laurak712
on 5/21/11 6:24 am - New Braunfels, TX
No, most just get a regular IV.

Laura

Height 5' 7

sleeve genie
on 5/21/11 5:04 am - Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your surgery.  One day soon you will look back and say it was all worth it.   I didn't have a pic line but like i said,  whatever we have to go through is completly worth it.  You'll do great i'm sure.  Remember to walk, sip, rest and repeat and enjoy the new and improved you :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

toshiagirl19
on 5/21/11 5:16 am - Morrow, GA
Thank you! I am definitely excited and very anxious! I know it'll be well worth it and that why I'm moving forward! Congrats to you on your weight lost and I wish you the best! You're goal is so close, I know you can taste it! Congrats again and keep up the great work!
Diamond-n-the-rough
on 5/21/11 5:22 am - IA
It's really not as bad as it seems I thought the same thing when they started to explain the procedure to me I almost walked out  I have had my PICC line since April 27th. It really wasn't bad they numb your arm first and that's just a tiny little pinch and then they insert the line. I never even felt that part. Suggestion if you're anything like me never look to see what they are doing I keep my head turned and my eyes closed cause I knew if I seen needles or any crazy stuff I was going to trip out.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views