Getting Scared

Livealot
on 5/22/11 1:16 am - NJ
I'm getting my sleeve on May 31 and i'm becoming anxious and scared. Everyone on this forum is so supportive and helpful. I read the posts everyday to get som encouragement. I had a Colon Re-section 15 years ago . I hope this is not the same. Thank you for listening.

john
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/11 1:18 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
If you weren't scared, THEN we'd worry!!!! It's perfectly normal but the good thing is you are taking steps to better your health and way of life. One step at a time, my dear. That's all you can do. We are all here for you! Best wishes!!!
shantele7824
on 5/22/11 1:28 am - SAN PABLO, CA
You have to just beleive, honestly I wasnt scared I truly was ready to go but I also beleived that without this surgery I was going to die so I was ready to go.  Anyway good luck and god bless.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

lisa53406
on 5/22/11 1:30 am - Racine, WI
I was anxious before surgery. I wanted everything in order.  A sort of 'nesting' thing.

I was downright scared before surgery while being prepped. I think my eyes were popping out and I was questioning my decision. Its one thing to go through surgery when you have a septic ulzer or appendecitis (I know I misspelled that one) but I was choosing to have this surgery. Mentally, I acknowledged that the co-morbidities that I would ultimately have if I didn't have the surgery is the same thing. I said a prayer and went forward.

Best decision of my life! I am almost 4 weeks out but I can see what a life changer this is going to be. They call it a tool but its so much bigger. It makes it possible to lose the weight and its up to us to keep it off. Its not a tool ... its a miracle.

Use your nervous energy to get everything in place and you will be able to rest more after.

Good Luck!

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
lucy2e
on 5/22/11 1:38 am - Laurel, MD
Hi John

I'm having surgery the day after you - my first ever surgery (other than wisdom teeth extraction - but that hardly counts).  I understand your fear/nerves - I get the from time to time too!  In the end though, I know that I have done my research, I have confidence in my surgeon, and I know this is the right decision for me.

Without the surgery, I am basically guarenteed major health problems in the not too distant future - with the surgery there is a VERY SMALL chance of complications.  I'm playing the odds and taking the chance on improved health!

Hope this helps!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

sleeve genie
on 5/22/11 2:00 am - Alhambra, CA
I too was nervous and a little scared,  but not so much of the surgery,  more about how i would do post op.  Food was always a big part of my life and i wondered what it would be like if it no longer had that place.   My health was bad and that was really my motivation so i was looking forward to getting improved health.   Its normal to be nervous,  just make a list of all the reasons you made this decision and think about those things and don't let your fears override this great decision you have made to improve your quality of life.   Good luck,  you'll do great  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Livealot
on 5/22/11 2:12 am - NJ
Thank you everyone, for your support. I am getting this surgery for health reasons, I want to be alive for my son so that I can see him graduate from college. It's just hard not to think about it. I hope to love my sleeve and begin my journey.
Heidi V.
on 5/22/11 2:17 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
I had done so much research on this surgery in the 2 months prior, that I was not nervous or scared. I knew exactly what was happening and what to expect. I was also very comfortable with my surgeon. The only time I got a little nervous, was when they wheeled me into the or and moved me onto the operating table. I got a little nervous, but they had already injected my iv with the anesthetic. So, it was short lived.

Good luck, and just relax and breathe.

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

sleevegirl
on 5/22/11 2:27 am - Austin, TX
Mine's coming up in 30 days. I'm already terrified. I'm thinking it's either going to get better or I'm going to be a complete wreck come surgery day. We can do this... we totally can!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

sonyagettinghealthy
on 5/22/11 2:39 am - CA
 Oh my goodness I was so nervous before surgery. I have 3 life insurance policies and I made sure my new car would go to my Mom in case anything happened. I also had an advance directive in place. I made sure all my children (adults) knew where my values and beliefs are in regards to Jesus and what my hopes were for their future. Lol. Even though I knew the dangers of surgery were not even close to the dangers of continuing to live my life so overweight I was scared to death. I even started crying prior to going in to the operating room and had the best nurse ever. What you are feeling is normal but all will be well. I agree with what the other gal posted. Put your life in order so you can rest easy but you will be fine!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views