Day 5: Pre-Op Diet Woes

StepN2ANewLife
on 5/26/11 11:26 pm - AR
Hello everyone !!! I'm only 10 days away from my SLEEVE!!! This is somewhat bittersweet for me though. I'm on day 5 of my pre-op all LIQUIDS diet and it's been an uphill battle. The first day went by like a breeze, the second day was a little more challenging because my stomach was growling like an angry junk yard dog, the third & fourth day I began to get slight headaches, and now I'm on day 5!! Honestly though, I NEVER thought I would've made it THIS far!!! I've not weighed myself, and I don't plan to until I go to the doctor's office. My rationalization is this: If I can't do well on a 2 week PRE-OP Diet, what makes me think I can make it through a lifetime of COMPLETE CHANGE???? So, that's keeping me going! Please, pray for me.....it is more of a MENTAL thing than it s a PHYSICAL thing for me!! Physically, I'm doing well.....mentally.......I'm hungry as hell! LOL!!! 

Thanks in Advance!!!

*Never Let a Dark Past, Cloud a Bright Future*

http://free2bme4eternity.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel: XxFemTationxX
MrsHelm1012
on 5/26/11 11:36 pm - Washingtonville, PA
First of all, congrats on being so close to your sleeve! Secondly, there is a HUGE difference between being on liquids before surgery, and after. I struggled like crazy on my 2 week pre op... And yes, I cheated. Everyone was telling me it would be so different after getting sleeved, and they were right! Since my surgery, I dont feel hungry, ever. (Real hunger.. I do have head hunger) I drink my fluids and eat my pudding, and I am prefectly fine with that. That would have never kept me full or happy pre sleeve. Your stomach is sooo much bigger right now, and you still produce Ghrelin. So dont think "If I cant do it now, I wont ever be able to". Its just not true. Good luck!

dec721
on 5/26/11 11:39 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
My plan of attack when I was on my pre-op liquid diet was to keep liquids going down my gullet CONSTANTLY.  (Of course, follow your surgeon's guidelines.)  I drank shakes, cream soups, broth, tea, anything I was allowed all day long, sucking down gallons of water in between.  I refused to let myself get hungry, because I knew that would be trouble.  And the gallons of water helped wash the garbage out of my system, all the crap food I'd been eating up until that time.

Just know, too, that the first four or five days are the worst, so you are almost over the hump :-)

Best wishes on your journey!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

StepN2ANewLife
on 5/26/11 11:42 pm - AR
Thanks so much for chiming in! I never looked at it like that.....then again, I've NEVER been sleeved!! That's why I enjoy this site so much. Such a wealth of information!! I'm struggling with this pre-op thing solely based on HEAD HUNGER and STOMACH GROWLS.....lol. As aforementioned, physically, I am okay......usually I'm so busy during the day I don't realize I've not eaten....but boy when I get home!!!!!! LOL....

*Never Let a Dark Past, Cloud a Bright Future*

http://free2bme4eternity.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel: XxFemTationxX
jmyersking
on 5/26/11 11:54 pm - Davenport, IA
I feel your pain.  I am getting my sleeve in 5 days and have done 9 days of the liquid diet.  I have to admit I have cheated a couple times.  I have heard the same thing that after surgery you have to force yourself to drink.  I have found that if you keep the protein shakes in different flavors it helps.  I have 4 different flavors that I flip around to keep myself from getting bored.  Plus what a great time to find flavors that you like and dont like.  I lost 8 pounds in the first 5 days.  My goal is 20 before surgery but I wont weight in again until surgery day.
 HW: 260 SW: 245 CW:120.5  Surgery Date: 6/1/11
2 wks: -14.5
2 Months: -25  
3 Months -11
4 Months -14.5
5 Months -11.5
6 Months -5.5
7 Months -12
8 Months -8.5
9 Months -3
10 Months -5
11 Months 4.5
12 Months -4.5
13 Months -3.5
14 Months +1.0
15 MOnths -2.5
nsblue
on 5/27/11 12:09 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

I did a trial 3 weeks liquid diet and i could have done more...and no i havent been sleeved yet. I feel it is due to mentally being psyched to keep at it and most importantly because I was on 1200 cal before being on it and was on very low carbs n not hungry before it. So when transfering to liquids...although it was a drop in calories....my body didnt go into a big ordeal and give me headaches fom the carb withdrawl.....so i felt full and satified. I kept my walking daily and my body burned off them pounds.

I find it's best not to expect big losses...so your disappointments wont crush........do whatever you have to do....keep at it..and jump for joy whatever the loss...be it 2 pounds to 20....you're getting healthier and working on YOU. 

Keep at it  jmyersking, stay focused on the goal....and YOU WILL DO IT.

lucy2e
on 5/27/11 12:11 am - Laurel, MD
I feel for you!  I'm now on day 10.  I tend to get grizzly bear hungry at night (dinner time).  I'm allowed 4 protein shakes but only do 3.  So my dinner shake I make a shake and a 1/2.  It really helps with that evening awful feeling.  If your time is different (lunch or something) make yours then!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Sandy S.
on 5/27/11 12:22 am
Good morning, StepN,
I am struggling with the mental stuff too. You can do it! Remind yourself-  You have made it this far- all the tests, docs appointments etc. . . and you really want this- You are almost there- almost at teh door! You are about to have what you have been working for and hoping for- this struggle  too shall pass. Just talk yourself through it.  This is just the dark before the dawn because it will be easier after the sleeve.  Hang in there baby!  You can PM anytime. I got your back!

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
faylavi
on 5/27/11 1:11 am - Laurel, MD
For me the pre-op liquid diet was the toughest part of this process.  After surgery you will have less hunger and the hunger you have will be easily satisfied. 

Keep tat in mind and dont be so hard on yourself.  The human mind is VERY powerful, so only positive thoughts!!!

Fay

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

heardb
on 5/27/11 3:12 am - GA
Hey!
   Your gonna do just fine! When I got close, I use to think of it in terms of a marathon banner when it says finished on one side and Start on the other side. the finish side is your sleeve date the day you get to say bye bye to the old you, and the start side is when your new life begins.
 your gonna do Great!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 123 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 355 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 402 views