What surprised you most?

joie_de_sleeve
on 6/3/11 4:20 am - IN
Hi all,

I'm scheduled to have VSG on July 13. I'm really excited about the prospect of having a new life. Perhaps I'm a bit unrealistic about how much it'll change my life, but time will tell. I have never been thin. Heck, I've never been not overweight, obese, or morbidly obese. I remember being 85 pounds at age 5. I have no idea what life is like to be able to shop for clothing in "normal size" stores, or not worry about the size of seats at theaters or restaurants. Simply things others often take for granted.

My question, for those of you who were never thin and those of you who were overweight for a very long time is, what has surprised you most about your post-VSG life? Good and bad. I'd love to read whatever you feel comfortable sharing.

Thanks,
Monnica
Kristy R.
on 6/3/11 4:32 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I've been overweight for about 20 years, although to most people I looked fine (you carry it so well!) - my best weight was about 180 pounds since I was 17.  The thing that surprises me the most is catching glimpses of myself in the mirror and seeing little changes all the time.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 6/3/11 4:44 am - New Orleans
Like you, I've been overweight my entire life.  I'm convinced that I popped out of the womb weighing 40 lbs. & gnawing on a chicken leg.

When I started this journey I wore size 5x shirts.  Just this past weekend, I bought a large.  It's still a little snug, but I buy my clothes a little small because it provides me with mini-goals to work towards.

Losing weight opens up your life in so many areas.  You have choices.  You can sit in any restaurant chair or booth and not worry.  You can shop in any clothing store and have more than one or two things to pick from.  You can get on an airplane at a moment's notice with your significant other and go to Turks & Caicos.  I went to the movies the other day for the first time in months and the seat was actually comfortable.  So many doors open for you that weren't there before.  You'll feel free, and you will be able to enjoy those simple things that so many take for granted.

In no way does this solve all of life's problems.  All of the issues that existed before are still there.  Hopefully after losing weight though, you'll have more confidence and belief in yourself.  Hopefully you'll seek everyday to make your life better.

It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I wouldn't go back to a year ago for a million dollars.

Best of luck to you.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

Kelley_S
on 6/3/11 6:08 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/23/10 with
mmmmmmmmmmm Turks and Caicos

*fantasizes*

Dawnie 88
on 6/3/11 4:44 am
I always think of this quote i had heard somewhere..it was "You never know how bad you feel, until you feel good".  That is so true with me.  After so many years living life at 354 lbs, it all becomes 'normal' and you don't see how bad you are really feeling.  I realized once I lost even the first 50 lbs how much better I felt.  This has definitely been life-changing for ME.  I no longer have to worry about what type of seating a restaurant has and whether or not I will have to whisper that I need a table (and then fearing the chairs may have arms on them). I sit fine (with extra room to spare) in movie theatre seats now.  I can stand and do all the dishes at once, not take breaks sitting down because I was in pain from standing.  I can walk all around the grocery store with no cart..and feel just fine.

There are so many ways my life has changed.  The biggest is the return of my self-esteem and confidence.  I love walking into any store in the mall and being able to buy clothes at any of them.  I don't get people staring at me now, I feel like I 'fit in' with everyone else. 

You're in for a heck of a ride!

KikiRox85
on 6/3/11 4:50 am - CA
Like you Ive been obese my whole life. I too am waiting to get to goal and see what "normal" feels like. Its nice to know that by next year Ill be at goal or close to it. But the jouney getting there has been awesome. Theres always something that surprises me everyday. Lots of NSV's.
My Sleeve has made me do the work. Eat right and exercise. It has my back with the restriction it gives me. I can go out and eat and feel in control. Its such a wonderful gift. Everyday I get a piece of my life back.
I LOVE my Sleeve.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/11 4:55 am
I have had a few surprises.  1.  I can see my feet while standing up by looking down, I do not have to crane my neck or bend over to do so.  2.  I can lay on my back in bed and feel my hip bones when I run my hand across my stomach.  3. I am satisfied with a few ounces of food.  4. I don't get hungry.
5. I don't miss food.  6. Clothes that I was saving for "when I lose weight", I blew right by thinking I hadn't lost enough weight yet. I put them on only to find they were too big.  7. my grocery bill has gone down quite a lot.  8.  It took a longer time than I expected to get my energy level back (but I am close to 60)  9.  I am looking forward to summer rather than dreading having to wear shorts or a bathing suit.  10.  It's more than a surgery, its a commitment for life.
Mike Terry
on 6/3/11 6:22 am - Staffa, Canada
  My biggest surprises are number one, that I can no longer stand the cold and am now a outdoor warm weather person. I always scoffed at people who wore sweaters inside in the spring and summer. Well I don't scoff anymore, sometimes I have to take 2 or 3 showers a day just to get the chill out of my bones. Second on the list is that when I was in shape earlier in my life, I use to play college football, I liked working out, but for power and strength, and loathed cardio. Now I'm just the opposite, I often have to force myself to turn around on my bike to get home in time! I also can't sit still most days, and end up doing chores when I'm bored, ha ha. Always a empty laundry basket and sink at my house!!

brownblonde
on 6/3/11 6:29 am
 It's a double-edged sword.  I had an idea of how great life would be thinner.  Never having been anything close to "thin" ever, I never experienced life without my fat suit.  But I did imagine I'd like it.  And I was right.  Even less fun things are more fun.  This sounds terrible, but in the past even a terrible thing like going to a funeral was worse being overweight because I couldn't find appropriate looking clothes very easily.  Or I wanted to volunteer at a memorial here, but the volunteer dress was khaki pants.  WHY?!!!  I looked high and low for khaki pants that didn't make my legs look like oatmeal mixed with cottage cheese.  Anyway, everything I think is a little better with weightloss.  Because it's a nonfactor now.  I suppose it does bring out other issues or insecurities, though.

I'm amazed at how much more nicely I'm treated.  Not that I was treated badly by most people before, per se.  It's just they kinda looked away sometimes.  Now people go out of their way to hold an elevator or ask me what I'm cooking at the grocery store...whatever!  I suppose what shocked me most is when someone will make a remark about a heavy person in front of me.  Yeah, I used to be the subject of this before, but I guess it still shocks me that people can make such easy and WRONG generalizations.  I sometimes imagine myself unzipping my "thinner" body and suddenly revealing my *real* fat self to them when they do this.  Boy, would they be shocked and embarrassed!

mylastchance
on 6/3/11 6:29 am
I can certainly relate to this.  I only remember being overweight and hating life,  a life of being teased by my brothers and always having my mother putting me on this diet or that diet and bribing me into some sort of " you can have this or that if you lose weight,...."  I have seen pictures of me as a kid and not being overweight but truthfully don't remember that time.  I somehow for some reason don't remember a lot of my childhood.  I only hope it wasn't something devastating........as if the teasing and bribes weren't devastating enough............anyway back to the question....I am surprised at how comfortable I feel in my new body,  like I actually belong here.  I lost, so far 21 more lbs than expected..........I have on my ticker a goal of 132,  but never thought I'd see it.  I went into this with the mindset that I'd be happy with 150..........and I was,  but it kept coming off and I was surprisingly thrilled and now I am 3.5 lbs away from that 132 and elated.  I no longer avoid people or events and actually step out of my old comfort zone into activities I would never have attempted and I love it.
I don't really have anything bad to say,  I have had a positive experience,  easy recovery, nothing I can't eat,  I can drink protein shakes maybe due to the fact I found one I like,  I have a supportive husband and 3 supportive sons who are happy and proud of me, (as they are the only ones who know about my surgery).....wow.......a whole year and no one has even questioned it..............so I hope this gives you some of what you were looking for.
Good luck on your upcoming surgery and I will look forward to updates in the near future.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views