Need some NUT help, please.

Could_It_Be
on 7/13/11 1:34 am, edited 7/13/11 3:45 am
OK I'm convinced my NUT plans are wonky. I'm having a very hard time getting ANYTHING down in my Phase 2 (I'm 3 w out today).

Would any of you be able to share your Phase 2 NUT info with me?? Of course I wouldn't do anything my doctor was not ok with.

Thanks!

**UPDATE**
I just spoke at length to the NUT and she wants me to cut all dairy and really limit fat because that may be causing the diarrhea. She also thinks I should call the doc just to be on the safe side.

VSG on 6/22/11
ashwarren
on 7/13/11 1:41 am
During Phase 2, I pretty much stuck with cottage cheese, ricotta, very wet tuna, and my protein shakes.  Message me if you need any further information or would like my private email or phone number.  Would be happy to help you out if you want it. 
  HW: 240 SW: 227       
Jenijeni
on 7/13/11 1:41 am
Is Phase 2 full liquids for you? Or mushies?

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Could_It_Be
on 7/13/11 2:10 am
It's 'pureeds' but the list from my packet it WAY too advanced for me. I can't do tuna, chicken or egg salad.

This is what I had yesterday
B- Shake
L- 1/4 avocado mashed with 1t hummus (only ate 1/2 of that)
S- other half of above
D- not quite 1/2 of a scrambled egg

I feel like my body is not getting what it needs but I can't force anymore

VSG on 6/22/11
Could_It_Be
on 7/13/11 2:14 am
Thanks ash & JeniJeni, I think I need to just scrap the NUT's plan and take it super mushy and slow. It helps to know that I'm not abnormal in this.

I appreciate the help and Ash, I may take you up on that offer soon!

VSG on 6/22/11
heathermc44
on 7/13/11 2:20 am - Bremerton, WA
At this stage I did a lot of soups.  You can also try refried beans.  I know you will probably get a lot of people saying to stay low carb but honestly, you aren't able to get very many calories in so I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs.  Also, don't try to pu****  If what you are eating is working for you and you feel satisfied, then stick with it and don't worry about how much you are taking in.  I know many of us were only getting maybe 400 calories in at this time but that's ok.  You have alot in reserves and it's still more important to get your fluids in.  

Some things I had at this point:  refried beans with cheese, mashed potatoes with gravy, could maybe mash up some beef or something to put in it.  Soups, like I said.  Some of the Campbells sippy type soups were my saving grace.  They have a creamy chicken that comes in those funky little containers that you can microwave and then just drink.  I also liked the Tomato Parmasean soup.  Or you can make your own soup and put it through a blender.  I also would suck on some ritz crackers with a slice of cheese.

I hope this helps.

Could_It_Be
on 7/13/11 3:00 am
Thanks Heather! I would love to try some refried beans but I'm so scared! Ha!

Thank you for the suggestions!

I'm not at all worried about carbs when I can only eat a teaspoon

VSG on 6/22/11
wert
on 7/13/11 3:11 am - MN
More NUT problems. Sorry to hear it.

My stage 2 was mushies/purees. My favorite was refried beans thinned with Unjury chicken soup topped with shredded cheddar cheese. I'd nuke it for a few seconds and had a great hot meal. I also made egg custard with an extra egg for more protein. It was sooooo good. I'd look for hearty canned soups that didn't have too much bad stuff in it. I'd puree it and top it with greek yogurt for a little added protein. I tend to eat the same thing a lot - I live alone so I get to do whatever I want so repeating menus works. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Could_It_Be
on 7/13/11 3:47 am
Thanks wert,
Just talked to the NUT, who wants me to stay away from beans and high fat stuff (eggs, avocado, hummus) so I might wait on this. I do love love love me some beans (well I did, preop ;)  )

Thanks for taking the time to post!

I'll keep you all updated!

VSG on 6/22/11
wert
on 7/13/11 4:14 am - MN
I hate to contradict you NUT but I'm going to do it anyway. When I was at your stage both my surgeon and NUT - who works out of the surgeon's office - said I didn't have to worry about calories, carbs, or sugar YET. This early out the important thing is to get in as much protein and fluids as I could. Counting carbs and calories start a little later on. 

So I'd say your NUT is wrong in telling you to stay away from fat. In fact, I use fats freely - not that I eat a lot of anything any more. I use butter when I bake my fish. Olive oil in my home made dressing. I eat avocados whenever I feel like it. And I make a fake pizza with refried beans.

I have been a real white food Nazi, tho. Except for the first few weeks I'm staying away from white food as well as I can. But at first I didn't count anything or watch anything except for protein and fluids.

But, do what makes the most sense to you. That's what I do.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views