Hard choice, do I get VSG or RYN ??? help

MS Miller
on 7/21/11 6:09 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi Guys,

I need some help here, here are my issues.

I need to loose 100 lbs
I'm 5'8'' tall, maybe 5'7'' think I'm shrinking
I am a type 2 diabetic
I have back problems and take Naproxen (aleeve)
Tend to be achy when I get up in the mornings
I eat good food, but portions are my problem

Will I get to my weight loss goal with a VSG or will my doctor push me for a RNY.

Please help

Sue

PS I am meeting my surgeon next Wednesday 27th July

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
USAF Wife
on 7/21/11 6:13 am
Check out these 2 topics from earlier today:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4428059/Moment-of-panic-help/#36602127

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4428022/The-surgeon-doesnt-want-to-sleeve-me/

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Nicole S.
on 7/21/11 7:15 am - Vallejo, CA

I know, that I personally am choosing the sleeve.  Now mind you I dont have diabetes, but I do have back problems, migraines, etc.  I need to lose to a bit over 100lbs to reach my goal of 120.

I will be thinking of you - I meet with my surgeon on the 26th!

But the threads posted earlier - they will be of great help to you.  They helped reaffirm what I have wanted all along.

Good luck!!

~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

luvitaly
on 7/21/11 7:21 am
Hi Sue,

I also need to lose 100lbs. I don't have diabetes or back issues. I am a Nurse and I researched weight loss surgery for 10 years. Initially the only surgery available was the RNY or other procsedures that involved re-routing my intestines. I did not want it because of the dumping syndrome, the problems with vitamin/mineral deficiency, etc... I am thankful that the VSG became available. I had surgery on June 20th. My only regret is that I wish I had known about it 10 years ago. Do your research and choose the surgery that you can live with. I believe you will lose the 100 lbs with whichever surgery you choose.

Take Care and Take your time
johnbertak
on 7/21/11 11:13 am - MD
I've posted a lot (one of the ones AF Wife rec.) about how miraculous I think the VSG can be.  OK, it's just me, (no it's a lot of us) but I've lost over 150 lbs. in just 8 mos. since my surgery.  I came home from the hospital w/out diabetes, and without sleep apnea; I've also lost all high blood pressure and now I'm on NO Rx. meds of any type.  Not bad for a 65-year-old, huh?  It has not been easy - I work very hard at my exercise and nutrition programs every day - no days off, ever.  If I hurt, I take a pill and keep going.  I could only walk a slow, slow mile at first, now my minimum walk is 4 miles in 80 minutes in my hilly neighborhood.  On days I don't do that walk, I'm on the golf course walking 7+ miles.  (Had a hole-in-one the other day, BTW)
My reason for choosing the VSG was that I wanted the least invasive permanent restriction and I wanted as normal a post-op life as I could have.  I'm nearing my goal of losing 175 lbs. total and I know that I will then face a life of maintenance; I'm ready for that.  I eat a 90% "normal" diet, I just don't eat very much of anything.  I'm convinced that for someone like me, the VSG was absolutely the best thing I could have done.  Hope this helps.
Pop-Pop (Pix on profile)

MS Miller
on 7/21/11 12:10 pm - Nepean, Canada
Thanks for all the imput, I think I am sold as they say of the sleeve, I find the RNY is too invasive for me that is. I hope I will have a choice with my surgeon.

S

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
califsleevin
on 7/21/11 3:02 pm - CA
100 Lbs is certainly well within the scope of the VSG - I have similar weight loss goals and was halfway to goal at 2 months.

Diabetes is usually resolved with the VSG though the numbers may not be quite as good as the RNY or DS - there is something about the intestinal rerouting that is particularly effective in resolving T2 diabetes. Many diabetic VSGers report resolution immediately out of the hospital, though some take longer with any of the procedures (my wife's didn't resolve for 4-6 months after her DS - there seems to be some correlation to how long one has had the diabetes to how long it takes to resolve postop.)

If you need NSAIDs for other problems and the surgeon recommends the RNY, then find another surgeon - NSAIDS are specifically contraindicated for RNY patients That is a well known problem with the RNY. No specific problem with their use after a VSG.

I, likewise, had evolved into a sane healthy diet but needed large portions to be satisfied; those basic good habits are transitioning well to the post op world with smaller portions

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views