Still felling discomfort when i eat....im 3 weeks and e days out. Is this norma?

nursejlo
on 7/22/11 9:51 pm
Hi guys. Im 3 1/2 weeks out and still feeling discomfort when I eat. My stomach is ok it hurts going down. The only thing that doesn't cause discomfort is liquids and very thin mushies. Someone please tell me this gets better. I've seen people here eating much more than me at this point. Also.....have been very dizzy lately. Im trying to drink but just not feeling well the past couple of days. Im starting to really get discouraged.
kimberly_gr
on 7/22/11 10:09 pm
Oh yes, this is really normal.  As a matter of fact, I think under my surgeon's plan, I couldn't eat solids at this point.  Don't rush your diet; stick to what works.

Also you may find that certain foods just won't sit well for a long time.  For me ground beef and lettuce were foods that didn't feel good on my tummy until around 5 or 6 months out.

If you're feeling dizzy, you may want to be sure that any medications you're taking are still at an appropriate dosage.  If you're taking any blood pressure or diabetes medications, they may need to be adjusted down or discontinued--check with your PCP.  Be sure to get liquids in--try different teas, different tempertures, or put lemon into water to make your fluids more palatable.

For the first month or so, I had an awful time trying to get enough fluids in.  I would wake up 2 or 3 times a night and drink a few ounces, and that made all the difference.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

nursejlo
on 7/22/11 10:12 pm
Thanks....im on divan for high Bp. The last two times I've taken it I felt awful....very dizzy. I didn't take it yesterday and wasn't nearly as dizzy.
Ms. Poker Face
on 7/22/11 10:30 pm
First, check your BP.  Don't just stop Diovan without getting some BP readings.  Also, staying hydrated is critical at this point.  Don't stop drinking just because you're not feeling well.  If it hurts to drink or causes other side effects, call your surgeon immediately.

At 3 weeks, I could only eat pureed foods.  The consistency of applesauce and must slide off the spoon.  In week 3, I could only eat a few bites of this before I felt full and it was a little uncomfortable going down.  At 4 weeks, I could get a little more in and the discomfort was less.  I just moved to soft foods and I'm sort of feeling the same way I did in week 3 with mushies.  It all gets better, but move slow and listen to your body!

Good luck... call your doc if you are concerned.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

roseselene
on 7/23/11 12:03 am
I'm at about the same stage you are and I feel the same way.  I must still have quite a bit of swelling because I can only tolerate very small amounts and thicker things actually feel like they are getting stuck.  I definitely recommend getting your blood pressure checked!!
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

USAF Wife
on 7/23/11 12:46 am
Everyone heals so differently. Each of our stomachs are our own, and there is no way to gauge how your body is going to react. Your body might just not be ready for more dense foods so listen to your body, and let your stomach heal. Don't panic that other people are eating more. And, I agree with the other posters regarding staying hydrated and monitoring your BP. I was still on full liquids at 3 weeks, and didn't eat solid meats or anything dense for nearly 3 months. I stayed on mushy/super soft foods because my body just could not tolerate anything thick.

If you're not on a true PPI like Prilosec, Nexium, get with your doctor to discuss this and see if this helps. You might not be having acid reflux symptoms, but that doesn't mean acid isn't overproducing causing more swelling and discomfort. 

It all gets better. Our bodies go through hell in the first few weeks post-op. Just give your body some time.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views