smokers/ex-smokers please!

cristalpoppin
on 8/1/11 6:38 am - Austin, TX
 I am aware of the fact that smoking is bad - no way really? does it cause cancer or something?!? - AND that it increases the chances of complications of VSG procedure. I have already read a couple dozen other posts about this topic, but I did not find answers to my specifc questions/

As we all know, all surgeons reccomend you quit ASAP, and as we all know, some people (like me) don't.

IF YOU ARE LIKE ME, AND DIDN'T QUIT UNTIL MUCH LATER THAN YOU WERE TOLD I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

If you quit before surgery, how close to your surgery date did you quit?
Did any complications arise that were caused by smoking?
If you quit, did you pick it back up again post surgery?

kpuddytatz
on 8/1/11 6:51 am
My surgeon told me that I should quit smoking before surgery and continue not smoking afterwards because of potential complications w/ulcers and slower healing.  In the very next breath, however, he told me that it was my decision and wasn't a deal breaker either way.  Soo... I didn't smoke for 2 days prior to surgery or the 3 days I was in the hospital or the 1st couple of days I was at home.   Unfortunately, I did start smoking again shortly thereafter and continue to do so. I healed just fine and was back at work 5 days after surgery.
I'm just over 1 year out and have had absolutely no complications PERIOD.  My weight loss has slowed dramatically and I'm still a few pounds from goal but still losing.  My problem is that when I try not to smoke, I find myself wanting to munch on something -- hand to mouth, I guess.  I have promised myself, however, that I will try to quit smoking again when I get to my goal and see how that works out.  One battle at a time!
cristalpoppin
on 8/1/11 10:03 am - Austin, TX
 thanks for your honesty!!! 
Pbell
on 8/1/11 6:55 am
 Wow... guess it depends on the surgeon.  Mine surgery was actually moved up earlier in the morning cause the patient before me starting smoking and he refused to operate on her.

Tami78
on 8/1/11 6:56 am, edited 7/31/11 6:58 pm
I quit smoking about a month before surgery (although I had a few randomly here and there until two weeks before). After surgery I really did not have any desire to smoke. I have taken a drag a couple of times since and it luckily it taste awful to me now and I cannot stand it.

My surgeon said that he would test my urine to make sure I quit smoking before he would perform the surgery. I am pretty sure he was bluffing because I don't recall it actually happening...

My surgery went great, I did not have any complications.

Babs
on 8/1/11 7:04 am - Walker, MI
I had the band May 2005 and quit ten days before and stayed quit for about 4 years, then started again for 2 years and quite about 9 weeks ago. I am scheduled to have revision to the VSG on
9-8-11 and do not plan to ever smoke again. As far as complications, I have no idea, but suggest you quit ASAP. When is your surgery?  I am on again off again smoker who has smoked since childhood, am not a big smoker and only smoke 3-7 cigs a day depending on the day. I can tell you that with the band when I went back to it, my stomach felt more easily irritated and sometimes felt more restricted after smoking which is not a good thing. Also I can tell you that it is really hard on your stomach and the blood clot thing is very serious with this kind of surgery. Just stop, think about it this way you don't want to die so quit, I know it's hard but so is being over weight, which would you rather have a healthy body that is much smaller or a cigarett?. Call the National Quit line it is free they give you coachs who call you and an internet thing and a little book and they will give you free nicotene gum, patches, or lozenges if you need them It is a wonderful program that teaches you about your addiction and what to do instead and the personal coaches who call you are wonderful, as they are all exsmokers and they get it. PLEASE I ADVISE YOU STOP BEFORE YOUR SURGERY! It is not worth the risk.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/1/11 7:06 am

You may already know, but the reason we quit smoking is to reduce the risk of blood clots.  Most good surgeons won't operate on someone who is already a high risk due to weight, then you add smoking, and possibly birthcontrol and you are a walking time bomb.  The facility I am going through requires us to stop birth control (or at least stop the estrogen portion) and quit smoking.  I have heard of them testing urine to be sure the patient has stopped.  I personally know how hard it is to quit smoking.  I know you know all the risks, but add in our weight and surgery is not a good idea for a smoker.  I hope you are able to quit long enough to make it through the surgery and healing process healthy.  Best of luck to you.

cristalpoppin
on 8/1/11 10:07 am - Austin, TX
 yes i do know of the risks, but am curious about the birth control issue? I am not on birth control, which is probably why my surgeon never mentioned any guidelines for pre op, however post op he strogly recommended i start on birth control.  lol
ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/1/11 12:54 pm
As for the birth control we are required to be off of it 6 weeks before and after surgery.  The estrogen in birthcontrol can cause blood clots.  I am on birth control again due to the effects of coming off of it; however, it is progesterone only.  If you are going to roll the dice and smoke then stay clear of the birthcontrol after surgery or request progesterone only for the first few months.  Good luck!!
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
sundaymorning
on 8/2/11 4:04 am
 My doctor had me continue on my birth control in the hospital and told me to use 2 forms of birth control (like condom and pill)
I heard the pill isn't as effective when you are losing weight rapidly.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views