Sleeved, am I handling this badly?

chunkymonkey1991
on 8/5/11 3:21 am
I was sleeved at 7am yesterday. I woke up all groggy and took like half an hour to see straight, which was probably a normal reaction to such deep anesthestia. I've had a pain/pressure in my chest since then which was written off as gas, which it probably was- it was just a little bit more painful than I expected. Slowly things are being removed- oxygen tube, catheter, liquid painkillers, and so on.

This whole experience has hurt a little more than I expected to and my morphine was less impressive than I expected it to be :( The worst part thus far was the swallow test. They had me drink a little cup of that awful crap after drinking nothing else for a day then had me lie horizontal which hurt just bc of the pressure it put on my tummy. Then they had me lie on my side and drink some more. then lay flat on my back again. It sucked, I was nauseous for like 2-3 hours and only felt better after a nap.

Is that all normal? I know some people say that they had a "what did I do?" moment and I could see where that would be even though I didn't have one. I'm going to assume that each day is going to get better from here on out, but OW :(
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 3:26 am
Yeah.  The initial wake up and new sensations SUCK.

Couple of hours after surgery (I was already de-cathed and unhooked from everything) I actually had to get up, get in a wheel chair to drink that nasty crap for a standing x-ray.  All the morphine did was put me to sleep (the liquid painkiller was a life saver for me).

But yeah, every got better for me.  Don't be afraid to ask for supplemental painkiller and I found sipping water and eating crushed ice made me feel almost human.  It'll get easier.
vacationlover
on 8/5/11 3:30 am
My surgery hurt more than I expected (I had been told by several people that they had no pain after surgery).  I felt really bad the first 4 days... So bad that I didn't even get online during that time!!!  My back and side really hurt.    After that period I got a litlle better each day.  At one week I was feeling better, walking around easily.  By the time the first month was over, I didn't have any surgical pains left at all :)  At 3 months, I'm hitting the gym, running, able to pretty much eat any type of food I want (except bread and pasta- bleh, they don't even taste good anymore). 

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

chris1021
on 8/5/11 3:34 am - DeQuincy, LA
oh i feel ya!! im two weels out today and let me tell you, no amount of reading and research could have prepared me for what to expect waking from surgery!! it sucked!! just hang in there ok.   :)
       ~Don't be afraid to lose what was never meant to be~

@}~CHRIS~{@

morganhillbabe
on 8/5/11 3:35 am - morgan hill, CA
weird i was sleeved monday and i didnt feel pain till tuesdsy night when they discharged me i was throwing up all night and couldnt keep my pain medicine down. i was back in the er wednesdsy morning but am, home now and feeling better the pain is just a part of it with such a major surgery things will get better.. 
chunkymonkey1991
on 8/5/11 3:58 am
thanks everyone. i'm still in a bit of pain in the middle of day 2. it hasn't really hit me that i've been sleeve bc I've so focused on getting through it and the "next step" so I'm sure the big picture will hit me soon. I haven't had anything except a little ***** of jello and 2 sips of water, I'm still on an IV so I'm not dehydrated. I can't wait for the soreness to go away. I'm more excited to feel better and to start losing weight!!
Steph4575
on 8/5/11 4:13 am - TX
I had mine done on Tuesday.  It took me a while to come to and really be able to focus on much after the surgery.  I barely remember talking to people and I was literally falling asleep as they were doing my blood pressure/heart rate/temperature things.  I kept forgetting to administer myself the pain meds.  I managed okay.  I wanted to walk immediately to get things moving and to start my road to recovery.  My nurse was really proud of me because of it.  I walked twice the first night, and only the incision where my drain is really really hurt me.  Plus the soreness, felt like I did a bajillion sit ups, and my back hurt from being on it so constantly.  It also felt to me like I couldn't get a deep breath in, it was a little unnerving at first.  But I did finally manage to get my deep breath and I did feel better after that first one.
I agree, it does hurt more than expected.  The stuff that I had wasn't morphine it was something stronger than morphine, but it made me nauseated, so I didn't use that button all that often.  Naps work wonders though, make sure you are getting plenty of rest, it takes a lot of time to heal from a major surgery like the one we just had, so just take it easy, take walks, but don't overdo it. 
The walks will help with the gassiness, the spiromoter (sp?) will also help with your breathing.  I am actually a little disappointed in myself, I thought I would have an easier time bouncing back, and I'm so drained and still in a lot of pain.  Its okay, its supposed to get better, and I guess if I compare it to day one, and now, I do feel better, although i day one, I just slept like crazy, lol.  We can get through this!!
BriarRose
on 8/5/11 5:58 am
If you are in pain, take your liquid pain medication. And take it as often as you need to. I took it for just under two weeks ! No reason in this world to be in pain. That is what it is there for.

And yes, this is major surgery, and they cut off most of a major organ -- you have a huge line of staples holding your tiny tummy together, and your body is dammed pissed off !!!!

Rest, take gentle walks, get plenty to drink to stay hydrated, and then rest up some more.

And hang on, because this IS quite a thrill ride !!!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 442 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views