Food Sucks!

No More Spanx
on 8/8/11 4:31 am - Rock Island, IL
I really dislike food right now.  I am nearly 2 months out and eating just doesn't feel good.  I am a  pretty dang good cook and love to make things look appealing and of course have always loved eating it.  It doesn't bother me that I can only eat about 2 to 2.5 oz because I save it for my next meal

I have tried many things and haven't had any issues with food, other than I ate too much salad dressing once that was low carb but too high in fat, and really felt sick  afterward.

Food just doesn't feel good going down, not painful, not nauseating just ....not good.  I sure hope this is a stage because personally I just want to drink my protein shakes and not even bother with eating.

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

MzLinette
on 8/8/11 4:36 am - CA
I am only a few weeks out from the surgery and already see that my attitude towards food has changed.  I am thinking, for myself, that I feel like since I know I don't really need much of it, I just option not to eat it.  I have at least 2 protein shakes a day and water for the most part.  I take my vitamins and may force down a mashed potato dish but only a bit or two.  Food just doesn't seem the same to me right now.  I asked around with friends that have had various surgeries and with the exception of just one, all of them said they had this moment once in a while too, but it went away.  Some said they experienced it more than once, but still reiterated that it soon came to pass.

Much success to you!!

Lin
Ms. Poker Face
on 8/8/11 4:38 am
I can sorta relate to this.  It's like the food goes down and it stops so short of where it used to.  I never get that "oh, the food hit my stomach" feeling, time for next bite.  Now, the food feels like it stops so much higher (because it does because that's where my tiny stomach is now) and it's a little... odd.

I'm hoping it's a stage, too, but even if it's not, I am sorta enjoying the aversion to food I'm developing because I was SO OBSESSED with it for so long... it's nice to not always think of food now.

PS I'm a foodie too who loves loves loves to cook.  Still do.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Vetta
on 8/8/11 4:41 am - NJ
 I feel the same way too. I feel Blah when I eat.

A_NEW_KATIE
on 8/8/11 4:46 am
You are a little further out then me but I have the same feeling...  Its almost disspointing that I dont get excited about food anymore...  I know that was the point of this surgery so that our lives would no longer revolve around food its just so strange....  I just dont get the satisfaction I used to get from food and that almost makes me just not want to deal with it... Even if for a minute something sounds good when I actually eat it Its just not the same! I think we are all dealing with the same issue, something that  used to completely control our lives is just no longer important.  Forces you to find other things in life that give you that sense of satisfaction!  I am sure we will all get there in time, its just a huge transition, and it takes time to reinvent yourself!  I am confident that some day I will look back on this time and smile knowing that I am no longer a person controled by food and embrace it!

Good luck to you all!

Katie
Mom4Jazz
on 8/8/11 5:10 am

I'm 3 1/2 months out and still am much the same way. Eating, meh. Not food aversion - just food indifference.

But that's OK. One of the things I hoped to do was change myself from a "live to eat" person to an "eat to live" person. I'm well on my way.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

theshrinkingmimi
on 8/8/11 8:48 am
Hmm?  Are you saying "not feeling good" physically or mentally?  Physically, I would wonder if you need to speak to your surgeon's nurse. I'm nearly 2 months out and most of the time I feel nothing physically.  When I do, it is usually heartburn, gas, or I need to chew better. 

If it is mental, I think you are mourning a loss. If it gets worse, maybe a food issues therapist can help.

I am less excited by food. Seriously, it was the most exciting thing to me. Now, basically, I have to get a life. Sometimes I see or hear about some food that gets me excited, then I go, "oh".  In a few more months, we'll have more options, but I'm glad the obsession is gone.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 77 views