Update on my symptoms- 7 weeks out- long

Could_It_Be
on 8/8/11 8:57 am

I posted this last night...

I'm really really really freaked out. It's been almost 7 weeks since my surgery and I feel worse now than I did 2 weeks ago.

I can only get one of the 3 things- protein, water or a TINY amount (~2oz all day)  food but not any combination of the 3.

I did start on Protonix 2 weeks ago, it's helped some but I'm still so nauseated :(

Any advice? Suggestions? Guesses as to what is wrong with me?
Any ideas on what to ask the doc? I'm just at a loss...

Today:  I saw the doctor who seemed to anticipate my every symptom. He said I am one of the few (20%) that don't just bounce back from surgery.

GEE NOONE MENTIONED THIS 20% BEFORE I SIGNED UP!!!

Apparently, I'm still very swollen on the inside and my stomach is not emptying/is taking a very long time to empty. He said not to worry about the protein, just get in the liquids. Later in the week I can start adding back in some mushies, depending on how I feel.

He said to stay on the protonix 1x/day, and added Zofran for the nausea and Regalan (sp?) for the stomach not emptying.

I go back in a week.

I took the Zofran and felt better within 5 minutes. Took one of the Regalan's and it knocked me out. I'm about to take another one but I'm kind of scared as it can cause diarrhea.

OMG WHEN WILL THIS GET BETTER??

The doc promised it would and that I'd be so happy I had the surgery, all I could do was cry and say "I hope so"

So there is my update. T & Ps are welcome.

I hate to scare any newbies but I also wish I had known it might not be rainbows and butterflies before I took this on!

Anyway, thanks for listening!

VSG on 6/22/11
sianabob
on 8/8/11 9:00 am
rainbows come after a storm.. and butterflies are just pretty bugs.. so storms and bugs followed by rainbows and butterflies.. lol

have you tried drinking your liquids at different temps? I know in the beginning warm went down better.. easier almost.. that may help with your liquids.

Could_It_Be
on 8/8/11 9:03 am, edited 8/7/11 9:03 pm
Nice point, thanks!

I do think I will look back on this time as a 'bump' but right now, it feels insurmountable, you know?

Thanks for the post :)

Oh and I'm an ICE cold kind of gal! I never liked ice water before and now it's really all I want. Strange!

VSG on 6/22/11
Smardeepants
on 8/8/11 9:04 am
Hang in there, it WILL get easier! Take the zophran around the clock, your PPI as prescribed, and stick to clear liquids. I had a bumpy start, and this was just the trick for me. As far as reglan, if it empties you faster, I would take it. (You need all the help you can getting liquids, etc). I had diarrhea for a couple of weeks and did just fine (plenty of liquids). If it gets really severe (TMI, I know) you might get some diaper rash cream to keep from getting irritated.

I think you'll find that liquids (full or clear) will empty faster than protein, and you'll be feeling better in no time.

(((hugs))) and keep us posted! 

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/8/11 9:05 am
Thoughts & prayers sent your way.  Hang in there!  We're still pretty early out so there's still healing left.

*hugs*

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Could_It_Be
on 8/8/11 9:14 am
Thanks Sleeve Sis!

VSG on 6/22/11
Could_It_Be
on 8/8/11 9:06 am
Thanks Smardeeeeee :)

VSG on 6/22/11
DebbieL.
on 8/8/11 9:06 am - OK
So sorry you are going through this.  Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I'm pre-op, and I know I like to know what might happen to me, the good and bad.  At least I would be somewhat prepared, or at the very least know I wouldn't be the only one.  Hope things get better for you soon. 
injeneral
on 8/8/11 9:10 am
Just a note on the Reglan... I know sometimes it's used to increase breastmilk production in breastfeeding mothers, but it can also have the side effect of depression. Just so you're aware that if you begin feeling emotionally depressed, that may be a contributing factor.

Hope this all resolves itself soon!!! I had to take Zofran during my last pregnancy and it was a total lifesaver!! the effect was immediate - before we even left the pharmacy parking lot!! - and I told my husband "this is the most normal I've felt in 5 months!" So I can understand your elation ;)

Could_It_Be
on 8/8/11 9:16 am
THANKS for the tip about the Regalan. He said he only wanted me on it 1-2 weeks but this is good to know!

I was the same with the Zofran. I took it at the checkout counter at Sam's and by the time we got to the car I was skipping around saying "this stuff is great!'

:)

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views