Having pain issues...

Steph4575
on 8/14/11 1:47 am - TX
I don't know what this is, or really even how to describe the pain I'm feeling.  Its this dull achy pain, right below my chest, or upper stomach.  Sometimes it hurts to take in a deep breath.  I went into the ER the other night, and after being pumped of saline, morphine, and anti-nausea meds, they found nothing wrong.  They also did a CT scan, and an x-ray.  No leaks, no blockages, nothing.  Nothing in my blood work, nothing in my urine.  So I am at a loss.  Yesterday I felt okay, thinking that I was getting over whatever it was.  Last night it hit me again, I was tossing and turning, I can't sleep on my back, and I'm 12 days post op.  The pain radiates to my back as well.  The lortab at least dulls the pain, but I don't know if maybe I'm eating my soft foods too quickly, or if I'm eating too much.  I honestly don't know what this could be, but I'm in a lot of pain, and still have an hour to wait before I can at least numb the pain and try to get some much needed sleep.  This pain is bothering me so much that I don't want to drink or eat, so I'm focusing on water only and then I'll move onto the rest.  
I do know that this isn't gas pains, I know the difference.  I just don't know what else this could be.  IF anyone has any experience with this, it would be really helpful, thank you!

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/14/11 1:56 am
Do you feel like you have gas left in your system?  Sometimes that can radiate pain to the back.

If you are eating soft foods, you may be eating too much, or too quickly, or too close to bed time.  Keep pushing the fluids and make sure your food is soft, take small bites and eat slooooow.

Do you feel like you can take deep breaths?  You want to be sure you do this and cough occassionally so you don't get stuff trapped in your lungs and get pnemonia.

Sorry I'm not more help.  Feel better!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

cancelsbronx
on 8/14/11 2:00 am - Stamford, CT
You just had major surgery.  You need to sip and sip water to stay hydrated (do not gulp water or liquids).  You are probably on puree now right?  You need to  be measuring the amount you can consume.  Perhaps two ounces which is four tablespoons in the matter of at least 30 minutes.  You also need to be taking your protein so that your would could heal.  In addition, you need to be actively walking around.  You are not allowed to lift anything over ten pounds for 30 days.  I had some weard pains but they went away in a few weeks.  They were not as bad as you describe yours.  You did go to the hospital and get checked out so it does not sound too serious.  Are you taking an acid reflex medication?  And are you taking your daily vitamins?  And I hope you are not drinking carbonated drinks. 

Good luck,

Santos

Maggie71
on 8/14/11 2:05 am - MI
I really do not have any experience but I wasn't allowed any soft food until week four.  I was on full liquids until day 13 and then pureed foods for two weeks. I wouldn't force myself at this point.  My doc said to sip, take small bites, but your food should not be  longer than 30 to 40 minutes but if you feel satisfied before that than stop.  Water is the most important thing at this time.
Sometimes when I take a bigger bite than I should or eat too fast I have a little pain for just a minute.  If it continues, I would call the surgeon.
Sorry you are having trouble and I wish I could help more.
Good Luck and hope you feel better soon.

maggie

foodlover
on 8/14/11 2:06 am
I would get that feeling when I drank water to fast. 
Steph4575
on 8/14/11 2:10 am - TX
I am not gulping.  My dr. said to move onto soft foods, but I've been sticking with full liquids because of the pain.  I am sipping constantly trying to get in all of my water to make sure I'm at least staying hydrated.  I am steering clear of lifting anything, and I will measure out my food intake and try that.  I am walking around as much as possible, I walk down to my mailbox just about every day, its about 5 houses down, and I walk around the house.  Yesterday, I just restarted my acid reflux meds, taking prilosec.  Does acid reflux really feel that different after surgery though?  I know what it felt like before...
Absolutely no carbonated drinks, and I am taking a multi vitamin, biotin, b12, and calcium, the multi and the calcium are chewables, the biotin and the b12 are small pills.  I am also taking zoloft (another small pill) and I re-started my prilosec yesterday.  =/

I can try to take a deep breath, but sometimes my breath catches.  I just want to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or what is going on, so that I don't have to be in anymore pain.  =(

Stephanie

dreamingthin1
on 8/14/11 2:49 am - miami, FL
Did they check your lungs and other parts for blood clots?  This sounds like symtoms that I had and I had clots.  Mybe they should CT you again. Good luck.

tulips52
on 8/14/11 10:37 am
 I'm assuming they checked your gallbladder? Hope you get better soon!

Steph4575
on 8/14/11 12:04 pm - TX
I honestly don't know what they checked, all I know is that they did an xray and ct scan and came back to tell me everything was normal.  Its still bothering me though, and I don't know what to do.  I've been to the ER, I've had the xray and ct scan.  I am drinking my water, and I drank some beef broth tonight, a sf popsicle, and sipping on a protein shake, but its still bothering me.  I feel like crap, and I just don't know what to do.  I have an appointment with my surgeon on the 17th, so I guess I'll have to wait to see what he says.  Its painful though, and really annoying.  It is also making me not want to drink, not want to eat, even though I'm forcing myself to.  I know it isn't that I'm eating too much now, I haven't eaten anything but liquids today.  I also took a stool softener to make sure it wasn't constipation.  I hope that its nothing serious, I just want it to go away!

Thanks all for the advice.  I do appreciate your comments.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views