Too Young?

MzJ0nes
on 8/14/11 4:02 am - NY
VSG on 09/04/12
I have already made up my mind, at 5'8 and 281 lbs and a family history of high blood pressure, diabetes and heartdisease, I have decided to have the VSG. Now that I've made my decision I feel that I dont have much support. I always get the "you're 22, do it on your own" or "really? Why?" I feel like I'm defending myself for wanting to be healthy. I've tried losing weight. I lose and regain more than I lost. I'm tired of the rollercoaster ride. Yea I'm young. I wanna get this weight off while I'm young. I'm just tired of having to defend my decision. Does or did anyone else have this problem??? 
PaulaS
on 8/14/11 4:13 am - TX
The single biggest regret on OH is not having WLS earlier and I agree.   
Have you met with a surgeon yet?    
I would say to go after what YOU want, but be sure with your decision as this is permanent. 
Good luck!!    And, ignore the nay-sayers, they will drag you down!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
The_Chungs
on 8/14/11 4:15 am
I'm 35 and was sleeved last week.  I was always chubby as a child and started on diet pills when I was 13 and was on them on and off through college.  I've been dieting all of my life and yet, somehow I ended up at 400 pounds.  I WISH this surgery would have been around when I was 22.   I WISH I hadn't given myself stretch marks all over my body.  I WISH I wouldn't have stretched out my skin to the point where my only option to "snap back" into place when I'm done losing weight is plastic surgery. I WISH I wouldn't have spent my twenties feeling like the cool, pretty, fat chic...I would much rather have been the cool, pretty, in-shape chic!

Don't let anyone else dictate what you do with your life.  If you have done your homework, found an outstanding surgeon, and really know what you're getting yourself into, don't let ANYONE discourage you.  Start living your life!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

LeahBea
on 8/14/11 4:22 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
I started this process when I was 19, finally just had surgery at the end of May (long story, if you care to read it it's on my profile) and I'm 24. I went through a lot of that, the "oh, but you're so young still, can't you try..(insert people's stupid suggestions)?"

Remember that this surgery/process/journey is for no one else but you. This is about your health, happiness and the rest of your life being as good as it can be. Don't let others try to talk you out of what you want for yourself. Do what is best for you.

P.S. It's mighty entertaining to have those people tell me how good I look as I'm now losing the weight... Often tempted to ask them how their foot tastes. LOL

Leah

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 4:26 am
I NEEDED to respond to you!
I was your age and weight and did it on my own after many ups & downs prior (started dieting when I was 9).. and I slowly regained after trying hard to hold on for several years.. Get off the yo-yo cycle if you can, now! I wish I wasn't so stubborn, and wish I had the resources back then to have done this earlier (though I likely would have ended up with the RNY, so I AM happy I waited in that respect!!) 

I hit my all time high of 308 when I was 21, my all time low when I was 23.. and now at 38, just recently had the surgery to hopefully put the yo-yoing behind me. I didn't have to defend my position, and you don't either- you are an adult and make your own medical decisions.. Do what's best for you.

Christen C.
on 8/14/11 4:26 am - ME
I'm 24 - and I got a lot of that. my response was that I don't want to be 40 years old and still struggling. Fix it NOW, and be happy. You don't want joint pain when you're that old.

You don't have to defend yourself. Its your body, and you're taking control of it. They should be commending you.

I had to deal with it *a lot* even from family members. But now they're all very supportive once I actually explained the risks of being this heavy and the strain on my body + the potential weight loss results and the lower risk than bypass. But I took the time to explain this to family members because I think they count...

Btw - we have the very same weight/height. At my biggest I was around 305, got down to 284 when I started the journey towards surgery. Good luck!
mareacuda
on 8/14/11 4:41 am - Las Vegas, NV
 I was 25 when I had my surgery :-) 

Of course there will be plenty of people that throw random BS at you about doing it on your own or whatever. I think that you are more than capable to make this decision for your future and your health. One of my main motivations for surgery was to be healthy enough to get pregnant and have kids... I would much rather have had my surgery BEFORE than after I have kids. Makes things MUCH easier. I am 100 lbs lighter, getting married in 6 weeks, and hopefully will be pregnant within the next 6 months!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
J.e.t.
on 8/14/11 4:49 am
 I so, so wish I had had surgery at your age.  If you feel ready, go for it!
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

nilesmama08
on 8/14/11 5:11 am - Atlanta , GA
I had to respond. Please have surgery NOW! I imagine how different my life would be if I did VSG in my early twenties. I would have had more fun, been more ambitous, had a better dating life(thank God I found a good husband out of the few jerks!), confidence, and I could go on and on. 

Don't let weight continue to disable your future! Do it NOW while you still have time to change the course of your future.  Good luck!
mp2003
on 8/14/11 5:17 am
I think you sould do it if its what you want to do, dont let ppls stupid remarks change your mind. unless they themselves are 300+ pounds and they can drop the weight all alone.... they have no idea what its like. and you should do it young just to make sure your alive to be old!! there are more risks being over weight than the having the surgery

if your ready go for it!
HW:264.4   6/22/11    SW:250   7/19/11    CW:238.8  8/24/11   1GW:202   

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 223 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 302 views