Crampy, Achy, icky. =(

Steph4575
on 8/18/11 6:59 pm - TX
I've found that most people are feeling so much better about 2 1/2 weeks out.  I'm feeling worse most of the time.  I toss and turn at night, I have to take percocet to get through the pain, and get SOME sleep.  I wake up religiously at 3 am and usually can't get back to bed until 5.  I'm not sure if I'm constipated, or dehydrated, or what this could be.  Its in the lower part of my body, radiating towards my back.  Sometimes, I feel better laying on the hard floor.
I haven't had a bm for a while, but I'm taking my stool softeners and it doesn't seem to be helping.  I'm about to eat an avocado to try to get things moving.  I know I'm not getting in enough protein, because I'm trying to push the water issue.  I don't think I've had a "normal" pee since I got back from surgery.  I pee out of habit I guess.  Its not dark, but its a little amount, and it does kind of smell.  I'm pushing as much water as I can without feeling sick.  The percocet helps, but I don't want to have to rely on the percocet all of the time.  Yesterday, I cleaned my kitchen, and I felt so weak that I had to sit down, and when I did finally sit down, I fell asleep for 2 1/2 hours.
I am trying to get in food proteins, tbl cottage cheese, tbl of potato with a little cheese.  I try to drink a protein drink in the mornings, and about half way through I can no longer drink it for the rest of the day.
I feel like I can feel every litlte spring in my bed.  My recliner is no longer comfortable.  Like I said, the hard floor lets me stretch out my back, and of course that gets uncomfortable too.  I"m trying to walk, but it takes so much out of me.  Even my showers wear me out.  I know I had major surgery no long ago.  I know it takes time to heal, but shouldn't I feel better at this point, not on the verge of feeling worse?
I saw my Dr. on Wednesday, he said I looked good, and things were progressing nicely, he told me that everything looked good, and when I told him about my pain, he moved me from Lortab to Percocet.  I do know that I wake up after having my percocet and I can barely swallow my mouth is so dry.  I am getting drier than normal skin, and my lips get dry as well.  Like I said, I'm pushing water, as much as I can.

Should I go back to the hospital?  I have a feeling that the crampy feelings are due to maybe constipation, but could they also be related to dehydration?  I just want to feel better already, and all of the posts that I've read about dehydration don't say anything about cramping and feeling achy, most of them just talk about pee, so I realize I'm dehydrated, and I'm trying to self hydrate.  But what else could this be.  It started quite a few days ago, and is just getting old really fast.

Thank you for letting me vent/whine.  I hope someone can help me out with this!

91Annie15
on 8/18/11 8:21 pm - CA
 It wouldn't surprise me if the aches are due to dehydration.  Did you inform your Dr. about the extreme exhaustion?  Does he know how little liquids you are able to consume?  I've only just come home from the hospital for my initial surgery, but while I was there I met a woman who had to come back due to dehydration.  She had her surgery around the same time as you.  

Even though it is exhausting, I would recommend walking as much as possible.  It would help you to sleep longer.  Walking also helps me to get in more liquids.  

If you start to feel super light headed, I would suggest going to the ER or at least call your Dr.'s office.  To me, it sounds like you need a bag or two of fluids.  

I really hope you start feeling much better soon.  

xoxo

-AA   
becca2297
on 8/18/11 8:37 pm
How much liquids are you getting in?  That is the most important question.  It sounds to me like you are dehydrated.  I think you need to go to the ER or call you Dr and get their opinion.  If you aren't getting your liquids, and at 2.5 weeks out, your protein too, then you will feel terrible.  Walking helps too....I set the countdown on my phone for 10 minutes 3 - 4 times a day and I walked around and around the inside of my house without stopping until my little alarm went off. 

But the most important thing to you right now is the fluids.....

Consult weight =312    SW=299    CW=233   GW=160
I am 5'7"   Lost 13  of these lbs on the 2 week liquid diet.
boomercd
on 8/19/11 12:27 am, edited 8/19/11 12:31 am - OH
if you are not getting your fluids in it will effect your bms, and more, sometimes you get past the point where self hydration will get you where you need to be, you need IV fluids. and the percocet is constipating. if you are not getting in protein you wont have any energy, so all that together spells trouble, call your Dr make him understand how bad you feel, tell him how often your taking the percocet that your not getting in fluids and protein. are you a month out?, you should be feeling better. call today! after you get yourself hydrated again, try setting an alarm to remind you to drink every 5 mins until it becomes natural at meal times set it for 30 min then have some protein, take it one day at a time, let us know how your doing, good luck.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/19/11 11:44 am
If you are getting less than 64oz of fluids and less then 50-60g of protein daily, then it's probably one of those things.  Are you taking your supplements (i.e. multivitamin, etc)?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Steph4575
on 8/19/11 1:28 pm - TX
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going to the ER, they gave me 1 1/2 liters of saline, some morphine for the pain, did an xray and ultrasound and couldn't find anything, so I'm thinking it has something to do with dehydration, or protein. So today, I've been pushing the water intake as much as possible, and I've done pretty well, I've sucked down two 36 oz of water, plus the saline is hopefully getting me back on track. I also had some chicken broth, and some lunch meat with melted cheese on top, for some extra protein. I know I didn't get the allotted protein amount today, but I'm going to focus on both of those things tomorrow.
For some odd reason though, I'm wanting potato chips...I have no idea why, maybe for the sodium, but the saline has sodium, so I don't know. No worries, I didn't have any, just was craving it and thinking about warming up a tbl of my potato, but I think I'll just head to bed here soon instead. Again thanks for all of the wonderful feedback. This whole drinking water, and getting protein in, is actually quite hard to master.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views