Has anyone had the sleeve with Pancreatitis

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/21/11 4:49 am
I have a friend who is interested in the sleeve.  She was denied the band due to having pancreatitis.  Anyone able to get the sleeve and have pancreatitis??
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
sourcherriex
on 8/21/11 5:35 am - CA
 I imagine she would need to provide documented proof that it is under control via meds/removal of gallbladder/whatever before they'd approve anything. But don't quote me on that. Best bet would be to contact the insurance company and ask. At least that's what I would do. Sorry she was denied and hopefully she can get approved for the sleeve!
 ~Marisa~

shekicks
on 8/21/11 12:05 pm - Dallas, GA
 I had pancreatitis several times in the past before having the sleeve.  My last bout of it was in May of 2009 and I had the sleeve in October of 2010.  My doctor was aware of my history, and explained it this way (I will try to remember how he put it)...  He said the RNY would cause the pancreas to not be used as it would be bypassed, so the likelihood of getting pancreatitis again would be slim.  But, he said, if by chance it did flair up again, it would not be easy to get to if something needed to be done surgically.  He said with the sleeve, it could be reached easier if needed, but doubted I would have problems because of the diet change...less fatty foods, less food in general, etc.  I have had no probems since so I hope it is a thing of the past!  

Hopes that helps answer your question and best of luck to your friend!
Beverly

5' 0"              HW-207 / SW-194 / CW-132/ GW-125             57 years old!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views