This is serious...why is no one seeing that?

b_scene33
on 8/23/11 10:22 am - OH
So It's getting down to the end almost-14 days left- and I've gone on a last minute rampage..Doing alot of things I have been putting off, wills, power of attorney, riding the mechanical bull, going on a zipline, etc...there is whole huge list, but i just picked a few thing I was to do right now!  I was wondering -I was talking to  friend today and he asked me, why I was doing all of these things before surgery? I told him its not that these are things I decided to do before my surgery, I just want to be live a little right now! you know just incase, and he kinda of brushed it off like it was nothing, like the fact that their are serious possibly fatal complications that could happen. I told im that I was just being realisitc. I have confidence i will be fine, but if nothing else its gonna be a while before i can ride the bull afterwards...
But it got me to thinking. This is serious. Very serious surgery, not anything light, or minor like an ingrown toenail or getting a tooth pulled. its okay for me to be scared a little right?

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

Rosebud_is_a_sled
on 8/23/11 10:29 am
This IS a big step, you are to be commended for being willing to take this big step in order to have a better life!  I understand completely.  I was frightened also.  I think it is super that you are doing these things right now.  It sure beats the "last supper for weeks" thing.

You can do all those things again after you get healed from surgery... and a few more things that you haven't been able to do.

Have fun and enjoy life to the fullest!  It is the ONLY way to live!
I got my sleeve on March 14, 2011.  I love it so far!

kimbethin
on 8/23/11 10:30 am - CA
It's ok to be a little scared, I was.  I was also really confident in my surgical team and I was really surprised at how calm I was the morning of the surgery.  Everything went great and only wish I had done it sooner.  Good luck to you!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
BriarRose
on 8/23/11 10:30 am
Yep. You can be scared. It is major surgery, and you should treat it as such. I did. But I also picked a surgeon that I felt had an excellent record, a hospital with low post operative infection rates, and I followed my doctor's pre-op instructions to the letter. I was scared, but I was also satisfied that I was doing the right thing for my future, and that I had made the best decision with the best people.

At that point, I calmed down and let it happen. Statistically, you should be fine. Do everything that your surgeon suggests, and be honest with yourself and your surgical team. No smoking, and all that.

You are going to do just fine.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
NDew1104
on 8/23/11 10:31 am
Its ok to be scared.  I was scared.  But dont get yourself all worked up that you decide not to do it!  :)
jennkitt
on 8/23/11 10:32 am - MI
Yes, you are justified being a little scared.  But what I liked to tell myself before surgery was that I was more at risk of dying in a car accident, fall, accident, etc. than from a surgical complication, and I didn't have a bucket list of things I would do before taking a car trip.  Try not to freak out too much, not because it is a risk free surgery, but because you will only drive yourself crazy and be miserable.

Good luck with surgery! 

Jenn

HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

Pkrplyr777
on 8/23/11 10:32 am - CT
I was. But now I've got my real life back. So, allow yourself some fear but stay the course for the long term goal. You have our support and plenty of people to report your success to.

Good Luck!
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 10:32 am
I'm scheduled for 9/12 and I too am starting to get nervous, so I don't think it is unusual. It is major surgery and although I too have confidence in my surgeon, any surgery is scary. I figure if I can make it through spine surgery okay this too will be okay, you will do great and it will be the best thing we have ever done.
VintageChick
on 8/23/11 11:13 am
It IS serious surgery, and I think most of us on these boards DO see that!

But... weigh the surgery against complications of morbid obesity such as stroke, heart disease and mycardial infarction, fatty liver, etc, - not to mention the glaring crimp in one's lifestyle, and the chance of complication vs the chance at finally becoming healthier balances!
Patricia M.
on 8/23/11 4:12 pm
I was terrified! It is is extremely normal to be scared. I think that the risks of weight gain (heart attack stroke) are more risky than the surgery itself. Just make sure you follow your treatment. Life is full of risks everyday. Don't beat yourself . If you really don't feel ready ask your doctor if you can move your surgery date to get more time to think about it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views