Exercising does it work on saggy skin?

Kari H.
on 9/3/11 1:43 pm - CA
VSG on 08/29/11 with
Does exercising really help with the saggy skin?  I have only around 80lb to lose and I was planning on really working on it at 6 weeks due to hip problems I cant right now?  Just wondering if it will work or not.

dicastro1010
on 9/3/11 1:56 pm - Escondido, CA
YES!! It takes times, but it really does! I know everyone says that everyone is different, which is true. I always considered me the saggy type, but it helped me to excersize before.

A few years ago I lost about 100lbs which at the time took me down to a size 6 at 146lbs (i'm 5'10). I was so upset with how I looked and how I had this gross skin on my arms and stomach and upper thighs that I felt made me look unathletic despite my hours in the gym day after day. I kept at it with the excersize, running a lot, doing weights, I had a trainer etc. The upper thighs went first and toned to normal in about 6-8 months after goal weight, then the arms, then the tummy looked almost normal, like I had a little four pack at about a year and a half after goal. It feels like it takes forever, but compared to how much I stretched out my own skin I can only hope that this time around it will work again :) 

Granted, I gained it back and more which is why I am doing VSG, but at least I don't have any fake expectations of myself looking like a model. I know it will take a lot of work and a lot more time to tone up than it does to lose it.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

JulB
on 9/3/11 2:08 pm - PA
I think exercise is the key, and building up some muscle mass. I've lost about 160lbs, and this is the second time over the age of 35 that I've lost over 100lbs. Needless to say my skin was not pleased! I've noticed as I've built muscle over the last 6-8 months that the skin is gradually getting better. I don't know that I'll be able to avoid surgery altogether, but I can say that a combination of strength training, drinking enough water, moisturizing (super important) and a CoQ10 supplement have helped alot. I thought I'd never lose that weird crepey neck thing, but that has been the first to go. So there you have it...good luck!
Julie

johnbertak
on 9/3/11 11:01 pm - MD
I know we're all different, and men and women lose weight in different ways and places - however - I'm a believer that exercise is a key to losing weight "proportionally," that is, we can lose "fat" by doing nothing but cutting down the food.  Building muscle mass helps tone the body all over.  My sagging belly and thighs are no longer there - there is more muscle.  Oh, I will have some sagging skin, for sure, but attention to exercise will minimize that sag, at least for this ole' loser.  Good luck.
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

sunnymicki
on 9/4/11 12:03 am
My totally unscientific survey of profiles, blogs, and before and after pictures demonstrates that working out consistently during weight loss makes a big difference in the appearance of the skin.  I also noticed that younger skin has a much easier time rebounding than older skin, and the skin continues to rebound even after weight loss has stopped.

Can you tell I've been worried about this too?   But the bottom line is that I'd much rather have some saggy skin than all the weight I'm carrying around now.
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 12:38 am
I think a lot has to do with age and skin type.  I have a lot of jello-y skin right now but in different spots on my body it is a different type of sag.  I have horrible bat wings but I had them before I lost the weight too.  My stomach is a bit saggy but not as bad as I thought and I believe with exercise it will be acceptable for my age. My butt that was a round bulging butt that looked horrible when I walked has now gone flat.  My buttocks are a bit hanging and I wear a panty girdle for firming it up a bit, with exercise that too might improve.  My thighs are the worse part of my body.  they are rippley and I even hear slapping noises when I walk rapidly in a house dress or am not wearing pants.  It is not pretty to look at in a swimsuit and needless to say I am hoping that with exercise it will improve enough that wearing shorts next summer won't be ugly enough to stop the clock.  I think if you are younger and stay with your exercise plan that as time progresses your body will recover most of what it could be.  I saw pictures of a man in Florida who had VSG and at the first year he was saggy skin like crazy, at 18 months after surgery he had a little saggy skin and at 2 years his skin had very little sag left.  He did not exercise and he was in his 50's.  I am assuming the skin will continue to repair itself (to a degree) for awhile after weight loss has been achieved.  Since my boobs have become so well aquianted with my belly button lately I am guessing they will probably want to stay where they are....
frisco
on 9/4/11 12:53 am

Nothing fixes broken skin......

Think blown out elastic on some old underwear......(great visual ehh)

Yes, working out to build muscle mass to keep your skin filled with something to keep your skin "inflated" will help......

There is only one catch.....you gotta keep it up....or your muscle shrinks back down.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Eileen36
on 9/4/11 10:41 am - PA
No! I exercise hard six days a week, 1-2of those sessions being weight training. I have saggy, crepey skin. I think it has to do with how long you were obese, your age, genetics, pregnancies, etc. I'm 37 years old, two pregnancies, and was obese for about 19 years, so my skin is definitely not snapping back, no matter what I do.

I will add that exercise and weight training do make you look a lot better, even with some saggy skin. That's what makes we feel a little better about the sag.

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 362 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views