Definitely had my first "Dumping" episode today

GiGi W.
on 9/5/11 2:56 pm
Well, I thought VSGers didn't/couldn't dump because we have our pylorus, but that is not so!

Tonight I had some delicious cream of mushroom soup, (A friend brought me rom La Madeline) I pureed and then strained it, and had a tiny serving. (1/3 cup) and withing 3 bites, I felt it.

It hit me in an instant. My heart started pounding, I immediately felt like I had to lay down, and I was nauseous. After laying down, It took about 20-30 min. to go away. I didnt throw up, but I did use the bathroom after getting up.

I haven't had nausea once since being sleeved, nor have I had a "sliming" experience. This was my first negative experience so far.

I now know how my body will respond in extreme situations. I'm not sure what the trigger was in this case, my guess is it was too rich (heavy cream? butter? )I have tolerated all other lighter dairy so far, so I know it wasn't that.

I am just posting this for anyone that is researching the sleeve and wants an honest answer about dumping. It is not JUST for RNY patients...apparently us sleevers can dump too.

Has anyone else had a dumping experience? Please share, I'm curious as to the different triggers with us sleeve patients.

P.S. I love this sleeve and wouldn't change a THING!

Steph4575
on 9/5/11 3:05 pm - TX
I have not had "dumping" experience, but I have had what you described, the pain, and nausea, and then occasionally the bathroom after. Mine was simply that certain food not agreeing with my new tummy. I have a hard time with whey, and with milk now, and if I'm not careful I will get into that pain again, usually not with the bathroom after though, and I have to work not to throw up. We all have to find our balance.
Carmelita
on 9/5/11 3:26 pm, edited 9/5/11 3:32 am - Four Corners, NM
GiGi W.
on 9/5/11 3:35 pm
Thanks Carmelita!
Your post was very helpful and I'm off to read the link you posted as well...I learned the hard way tonight, but hopefully I can identify the triggers and avoid it.

It was NOT a fun feeling. Thankfully I was at home, and not in the middle of anything important. I can't imagine if it happened at a business lunch/dinner or on a date !! I wish there was a list of "safe foods" but it seems like everyone is different with this, so there is no safe food list.

I am only 11 days out, so I'm taking everything one day at a time. I'm glad to hear it likely won't last forever, so I will be patient.

VickyBT
on 9/5/11 8:49 pm, edited 9/5/11 8:53 pm - MI
I'm only one week out and I think this might of happened to me!
I have only been using protein drinks and soups and
boy was that getting redundant, when I remembered my nut.
said I could use Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast
and fat free Lactaid but when I tried it for the first time 
(not sure how long afterward, but not that long)
I started feeling "yucky', not nauseous, just really yucky.
I could hear the gas rolling around in my intestines.
Then suddenly I got a bout of flatulence big time and
diarrhea.  After that was over I felt OK.
Not sure if it was caused by the Instant Breakfast
or the Lactaid (lactose free milk) but it sure did not
agree with me.

So the question is...
what is the difference between dumping syndrome and something just not agreeing with you?
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

GiGi W.
on 9/5/11 11:10 pm
Good question! For me, I can tell you the difference was that it was a feeling like I've never had before (except for when I've had a stomach virus) and it was SO instant.

The combination of the different symptoms, all at the same time was very telling. I actually didn't even know it was dumping syndrome at first...I thought all dumping involved diarrhea, but it doesn't. I googled the heart racing,nausea,feeling tired/need to lay down, and it popped up right away.

I think when I've had something not agree with me, it hasn't ever been so immediately drastic or dramatic.

The link that Carmelita posted above is a wonderful bunch of information, and I learned a lot. Check it out when you have a sec.

Good luck with your recovery! How are you feeling at 1 week?

infodiva808
on 9/6/11 6:58 am
That sounds like lactose intolerance. Yes and even with the Lactaid milk I got the same symptoms. It might go away the further out you get.

Vicki J.
on 9/6/11 2:20 am - VA
I had an episode when I was a week out too.  I wasn't paying good attention to my protein shake consumption (shame on me!) and drank too much too fast.  Within 15 minutes I had the same symptoms...not so much nausea but definitely the racing heartbeat and I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough!  Then I wanted to sit under my ceiling fan because I was sweating profusely!!!  It lasted about an hour or so and then went away...

I learned from that to pay close attention to what I'm eating/drinking and it hasn't happened since!!!

:)

-Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

Road Less Travelled
on 9/6/11 12:09 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
Yes I do -- it hit about 2 weeks post op and I still have it 8 months out

I dump with "fats" -- not real fats (egg, butter, meat, mayo) but the fake stuff that in everything like cream soups, desserts, etc

I get very very hot, heart starts pounding,  major face sweat, dizzy, very very nauseas, and sometimes feel faint -- the only thing that helps is to lay down and wait the 30 min's for it to pass.......so if I am at work or out to dinner I really watch what I eat

Once I took a bit of lobster mac-in-cheese from a very high end steak house (during a business dinner) with 2 pieces of fried calamarie -- not good !!!!   I wanted to go to the ladies room and lay on the tile floor for an hr -- it was horrible.

Donna

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

vacationlover
on 9/6/11 12:16 pm
I had avocado a few weeks ago, and I felt like I was going to die!  Intense stomach pains, cold sweats, etc. 

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views