Bougie size???

simplychrissy
on 9/14/11 1:52 am - MD
Hello, I am new to the site. I am in the 4th month of my diet so I am in the process of trying to figure out some of the terms people use on here. For instance bougie size?? What is it and how do I know if its a good size or not?

I am ready to embark on this new journey...
jennifer K.
on 9/14/11 2:48 am - OH
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4430056/gtgt-VSG-Frequently-Asked-Questions-For-New-Members-ltlt/

check out this link - it has a lot of great answers to your questions.

my size was a 40 but he overstitched so it is like a 38. The smaller it is the more you lose - so they say - however the more complications that can arrise. Your surgeon knows which is best and which he has had the best success with. In that link, there should also be a photo of pen's and cap sizes that give a visual for what the numbers actually look like. Good luck in your research!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

simplychrissy
on 9/14/11 2:53 am - MD
Thank you, this does have a lot of answers on there! Thanks and congrats on your success!

Carmelita
on 9/14/11 2:57 am - Four Corners, NM
Bougie in VSG
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/

Some info..several VSG surgical videos...so hold off on the buttered popcorn if viewing! lol

need to add...BOUGIE SIZE makes NO DIFFERENCE in a POST OPs WEIGHT LOSS WHATSOEVER!!
Pixie-Power
on 9/14/11 3:21 am - Los Angeles, CA
As Carmelita has said, the different bougie size is really a matter of each sureon's preference, although a smaller size tends to be used for more often in women than men.   The size of the bougie doesn't really make a difference in weight loss - that is entirely dependent on the patient's commitment to proper diet and exercise.  My surgeon uses a size 32, which is among the smallest, because he simply prefers that size.  I did not have any complications, except for some water retention immediately following the surgery, which cleared up quickly with a dose of lasix.  You may want to ask your surgeon what size he/she uses and why, if you're curious or interested. 

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

age: 53   5'1" tall   HW=231  SW=216  CW=139.8  GW=130         

simplychrissy
on 9/14/11 3:48 am - MD
Thanks so much ladies, this really helps!

frisco
on 9/14/11 4:26 am

If you want to believe that bougie size doesn't make any difference......Go with that .........

Take this for what it's worth.... I'm getting to the point where I don't really care much what others think or do.....

*Note.....Patient education, commitment and compliance is a big part of the success of any WLS.

My surgeon has been doing the VSG for over 10 years with several different techniques and bougie sizes. His current procedure and technique includes using a 32f bougie. His data shows better weight loss and less regain 3-5 years out.

Carma-deleta (she deletes a lot of her posts) claims no difference in bougie size from her google research.

Ask her about restriction and regain.....somebody yesterday asked her and she didn't answer.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

laurak712
on 9/14/11 5:06 am - New Braunfels, TX
I have to agree with Frisco on this one.  I was reading on the DS board last night and saw a thread titled "How's your restriction".  Many of the responses were shocking with the amounts of food these people can eat.  Many claim very little restriction at all.  Most of them were 3 to 8 years out.  And the ones that claim to have tiny modern day sleeve sizes are the ones who were eating the least.  I would go as small as safely possible.  I am 2 years and 8 months out and have great restriction still with a very small sleeve/ size 30.

I know there are a few peeps on here with larger sizes and are very successful, but I bet they have taken care not to overeat and stretch things out.

Laura

P.S.  I realize that some DS's are done with larger sleeves, but not all...

Height 5' 7

frisco
on 9/14/11 5:45 am

Hey Laura,

Very keen observation..... I lurk the DS board also and notice the same thing.

And also....those here with larger sleeves that have done well should be commended because I'm gonna guess there is a huge number of larger sleeve folks just don't come to OH anymore.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 7:24 am
The optimal size of the boughie is an argument that I am really getting tired of fighting over.  If new people really believe that there is not difference.... OK.

All I am going to say on this subject is that there must be a good reason why there are so many successful vets with a 32 F . That doesn't mean that there aren't others that have succeeded with larger stomachs, but they are not in the majority.  There is also a reason that even the DS is now done with smaller boughie sizes.  If people want to look away and pretend it does not matter...well I for one am just tired of arguing the obvious. 
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views