All in all Being FAT is a bigger headache RIGHT!?

Natalie S.
on 9/16/11 5:50 am - San Jose, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
I was originally all for the Lap Band.

Upon talking with a Bariatric Nurse she informed me about the ongoing care it requires, the success rate and long term issues. I was disappointed because with that route I was hanging on to the fact that I could keep my anatomy intact and could "simply" have it taken out if it did become a problem. Well, doing all the research on my own I didn't think of how many fills it would require for me to find the "sweet spot". Or the fact that my insurance doesn't cover the fills and each would cost me a deductible.

So here I am... still have yet to consult with the surgeon who was referred to me by one of the ladies I met in my Zumba class at the gym (she has lost close to 200lbs!). I have made my appt. to have a sleep study done because my Primary wants to see if I have sleep apnea based on what I told her I experience at night. Both my Mother and Maternal Grandmother have this condition. My labs came back with no evidence of diabetes which runs in my family, a high level of enzymes in my Liver, so I am getting a Ultrasound for that. I am 10lbs away from being 100lbs over my ideal weight, which according to my Primary is 150lbs.  I do not have hypertension which is great but it took six trys of the medical assistant and Doctor to even read it because my arms are so big(hypertension also runs in the fam).  My Primary states that I have High Cholesterol and that she says that is a co morbidity but I am not sure the insurance feels the same? Waiting to hear back from the patient coordinator at the hospital. 

I do not want to have anything to do with RNY. I have not yet had children and I want to still be able to absorb the nutrients from the 4oz of food the VSG would allow. Having seen the seen all three surgeries on You Tube I feel happiest with the VSG. So now my new plan is to speak with Dr. Wetter at El Camino Hospital about the pros and cons of this surgery. I have high hopes and even though my friends say  "but your not THAT big" I beg to differ. This seems like a great solution for me since I have tried everything in the book and had short term success. My mind is made up with or without their support. At least my parents and my Husband are on my side :)

????'S

1. Have you or do you know of anyone who has gotten pregnant after WLS and had a healthy   pregnancy? Or any information on the VSG and pregnancy? (I don't plan on becoming pregnant for at least two years after the surgery).

2. Any specific questions I should ask the Surgeon about his practice?

3. What in your experience was your down time? How long were you recovering before you returned to work? (I am a nanny and  upon approval, will try to get the surgery done around the Holidays when the family I work for will have their vacation.)

I have been hopping back and forth from this site and LBT, but now that the LB is no longer an option I am here to stay :)

Thank you for any insight you could offer me during this time. I wont forget it and I look forward to the day where I can help other newbies :)

Thank You!!!

Highest Weight: 255  Consult Weight: 249  PreOp Current Weight: 229

peepster47
on 9/16/11 6:03 am
If I understand you correctly, your CW is 350 which is a little less than I was when I started.  I, like you, started this journey thinking of lap band but was discouraged by my surgeon for more than one reason.  I live 100 miles RT from any medical facility and would be a hardship for me to return for the required fills, I've heard too many non-success stories including issues with keeping anything down, weight regain, etc, and I don't like the idea of being "stuck" with a needle on a frequent basis.  With much thought, worrying, and prayer, after a 12 month weight mgmt program required by my ins, I made myself go thru the VSG.  I'm down 109 pounds and feel great.  Just saw my surgeon again this week and he was pleased with my progress.  Weight loss for me has been a little slower than for others as I have low thyroid and after surgery, my numbers have pretty much bottomed out and they're still trying to adjust my meds.  This contributes to inability to lose weight and not having the energy to exercise, but I have been walking and riding my stationary bike as much as I can.  

I was off work 4 weeks only because my surgeon is very cautious but I was glad to have the extra 2 weeks because I probably wasn't physically able to work an 8 hour day yet even though I have an office job and I have plenty of Sick Leave to use.  The weight just fell off the 1st month.  After that, the VSG certainly isn't a magical fix (meaning you still have to work at it) but if you stick to the plan of eating and exercise this can be a life changing experience and already has been for me.  I feel better, my blood work is awesome to use the nurse's words.  I had the beginning of Type II diabetes before surgery but no more :-) .  I have hypertension and while I still take meds, they've stopped some and decreased the dosage on another one.    Anyway, I could go on and on but you have to decide what's best for you and follow your heart.    Good Luck in your journey.  Hope this helps some.

HW   367          SW   335        
justwillow
on 9/16/11 8:49 am - OR
had day surgery so no hospital stay, went back to work after one week and that was really all i needed. good luck
padc1hawaii
on 9/16/11 1:44 pm
Ask your dr how many of these surgeries he/she has done and what are the stats, i.e., complications, successes, average wt loss, morbidity, and yes, mortality. it will give u an idea of the dr's skill level. Ask about follow up visits, specific dietary guidelines, and contact info and what to do if you have an urgent situation arise. Forgive me if I am giving info you already have. Just joined OH and may have missed something someone else has already said. Good luck and God Bless. 
Natalie S.
on 9/16/11 6:12 am - San Jose, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
Thank You peepster. My CW is 240 my HW was 260. I guess another reason I liked the idea of the LB was the least amount of Down time. I was thinking a week at most. I fully intend to adopt a healthier lifestyle with healthy whole foods and exercise like I have in the past, currently it is the worst cutting portions because I have a large stomach that wants to be filled :/ Thank you again for a glimpse into your experience, I appreciate it a lot!

Jerilynk75
on 9/16/11 7:55 am - TX
I just wanted to address the 'downtime' concern you have - -
I was sleeved on Wednesday (8/24) and was released from the hospital on Friday (8/26). 
I walked back in to work on Monday (8/29), much to the amazement of my boss(es).  I did only work half a day - but that was at their insistence.  I did experience some fatigue that first week - they talked me into workin from home that Tues and Weds...but I marched right back in on Thursday and have been working my regular schedule ever since! 

We have a similar pre-op weight (I was 248 at 5'5" on my consult day...and 12lbs or so lower on surgery day).

As for successful, healthy pregnancies - - I know you have already been directed to a sleever who is having a fantastic pregnancy.  I can also tell you that I am friends with an RNYer (no longer active on the boards) who has had two very successful, healthy pregnancies (granted, her RNY was in 2003 and her first pregnancy wasn't until 2007).  I have known her since 1994...long before her RNY.  I was there when she got married and there when she delivered her first child, too.  She didn't have any WLS related pregnancy issues at all. 

Nicole S.
on 9/16/11 6:27 am - Vallejo, CA
I do know that there are some on here who are pregnant after having VSG - USAFWife is one that I can recall.

I have been sleeved a month, and my progress has been a little slow but this is due to the fact that I had my appendix removed 6 days after having my sleeve done.  Oy!  This made my out of work time longer - I was slated to come back after two weeks.

Good luck to you with this! I can tell you it has been the best decision ever in my life! I couldnt be happier.  
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

meloppie
on 9/16/11 7:53 am - Calgary , Canada
Hi there:

I'm going back to work less then two weeks after work.  I do some walking around at work but I'm not digging ditches or anything that active.  Personally, I'll be happy to get back.  I was sleeved a week ago and I'm already getting bored sitting at home with nothing to do. 

I'm being careful not to get overly tired or lift anything too heavy.  I think my biggest problem is going to be not overdoing it next week before I got back to work. 

I had my surgery as an out patient and so far have not had any problems.  Knock on wood. 

Carmelita
on 9/16/11 3:05 pm - Four Corners, NM
Natalie S.
on 9/17/11 3:19 am - San Jose, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
WOW!!!!

Thank you ALL so Much for taking the time to answer my questions!!!! I very Much Appreciate it as I am NEW to this whole process :)

I have a consult for a sleep study to check for sleep apnea next week. I as of yet do not have a letter stating medical necessity from my Primary. She wants me to see her a month after I finish the sleep test and liver ultrasound and follow up labs, she also told me to "watch" what I eat (like I haven't tried that one my entire life).

My insurance rep over the phone stated that all my insurance (Anthem BC in California),  needs me to be 100lbs over my ideal body weight or twice my ideal body weight for someone the same age and height as me. Per my last Weight in at the Doctor's has me at 90lbs over my ideal weight.

I will message the Pregnant VSGers as you mentioned, that gives me great hope as a lot of my friends are saying I shouldn't till after I finish having kids which I think is ridiculous I know they mean well but support is all I need. Luckily my Husband and Parents are with me 100%!!!

Again Thank You for the information, words of encouragement and beyond. I really am looking forward to this journey albeit a roller coaster ride and waiting game!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views