2 Weeks Post Op...Is this normal?!?!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/30/11 12:46 am
I know that walking is vital to our recovery and weight loss; however, it is causing me pain.  I had a laproscopic procedure and am 2 weeks post op tomorrow.  If I walk too much I have extreme pain in my upper left incision.  I have not made it 45 minutes of constant walking yet.  I am going outside, participating in activities, shopping (minimally), and I'm back to work (desk job)...but the thought of walking a mile or getting on a tredmill scares me.  (I am only taking tylenol as needed currently)

Is this normal?  I know you aren't my surgeon and that I should pose this question to him, but let's be honest...he is fit and never really been through this.  He is giving me advice second hand.  With that being said I will be seeing him on Wed morning and will discuss this with him by then if it doesn't get better. 

Also, I have only had two very small BM's.  I don't feel constipated, I am still passing gas.  Do I need to take a laxative? 

Thanks!
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
USAF Wife
on 10/30/11 12:49 am
I couldn't walk that much because of gravity pain and big incisional pain as well. I was just told to do what I could do once I was released from the hospital. If it hurts, I was advised to STOP immediately. Those internal sutures are boogars sometimes, and hematomas and incisional hernias can form fairly easily.

I wouldn't take a laxative unless you are truly constipated. If you're still on liquids of any form, you're going to have minimal output. Laxatives cause more cramping and gas sometimes which would make you more uncomfortable. I was only allowed to use half dose Miralax the one time I had a serious bout of constipation, and I was into puree/soft solids at that point.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/30/11 1:15 am
Well good morning.  Thanks for posting as your input is always valued.  When is lil bit coming out?  Good luck I know it's soon.  Thanks again.

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
USAF Wife
on 10/30/11 2:22 am
You'll do great! !  She'll be here 1 November.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

slimpickins5280
on 10/30/11 1:10 am - CO
I haven't gotten to a mile yet, but I do walk daily. It feels better to me to walk shorter distances a couple of times a day.

I have the same problem with gravity pain at USAFWife.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/30/11 1:19 am
The gravity pain is a killer.  I'm wearing a binder, but it only helps so much.  Especially when it starts rolling up from my fat rolls.  Grrrrr....

Thanks for your response.

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
46_11tobeme
on 10/30/11 1:27 am - NJ
 I am behind you (a week post op) but I cant do more than walk through my house for a few minutes at a time. Any more than that and the incisions start hurting and it seems to bring on nausea. lightheadedness, etc.  I am just trying to heal at this point, and think some of us may take longer to heal than others. Sounds like your body is telling you when to stop so I would listen.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/30/11 1:35 am
Thanks and congrats on being sleeved.  I definately think that's what my body is saying and I'm listening.  I cleaned snow off my car this morning...bad idea!  So now I have my tylenol and heating pad and am getting paid to sit here and relax...oh and respond to you...lol
apple55
on 10/30/11 5:06 am
Hey I am one day behind you,and yes the pain from the upper left incision is worse because that is where most of the work took place, but the good news is, the more you walk the better it will get, just hang in thee.
BETHC500
on 10/30/11 8:23 am
My dr office gave me litocane patches to cut to size and put over the incisions when I get home after the surgery.  They said that takes care of it.  If you dont have them maybe that would help... Good luck    I needed a prescription for them also.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views