Surgery Stigma

Tirza T.
on 11/15/11 7:54 am
VSG on 01/17/12
I once upon a time did not think WLS was a good option. When I had this opinion I only believed that this was not an option for me. This was also because my past to physicians were totally against the idea of me having surgery when I brought it up. If my Doctors were against it, it must be bad right? I applaud others who had the courage to do what they needed to do. I was always worried it would mean that I was a failure. The truth is after all my research and days spent reading OH posts and Blogs, WLS is only a tool. I could still be a failure because the power to do this is still in my own hands. In order for the sleeve to work; I have to work IT. I now know that this is the best option for me as I have been obese nearly 7 years and Super Morbidly obese about 3 years.

I am so frustrated by people who tell me horror stories and who beg me not to do this. They say things like I will die. Truth be told if I don't do this it is more likely I will die. People are so ignorant and negative about the surgery. For example you could say "Wow, she looks amazing" and people will be snide and say "please she had surgery". To them they think surgery is cheating and they do not know the real hardwork and determination that is needed to still lose weight even with surgery.

If I had a heart condition no one would question my need for heart surgery, if I broke my leg and needed surgery no one would question that either. If I wanted a breast augmentation no one would bat an eyelash. Why is there such negative stigma surrounding WLS?
frisco
on 11/15/11 8:17 am, edited 11/15/11 8:50 am

SassyItalian had a great post yesterday ??? today???

About... If you are open about your surgery (which I am 100%)

Spread the word and be the example of WLS gone right !!!!

For one...... I have never got a single negative comment about my WL or WLS

For two......I am ****ed, locked and loaded for the first person who tries to down play my efforts. No mercy.....they are gettin it back 10 fold........If they can't see how much better off I am......they are dumb ***** Sorry.....but yah can't fix stupid !

I say..... think more about you and your future than what others think.....!!!!!

I did this for me and the people around me.........not for anyone else........

Stand proud in those skinny jeans !!!! and Represent !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tirza T.
on 11/15/11 8:23 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Loved your reply. Thanks!
Pam M.
on 11/15/11 8:27 am - Orland Hills, IL
 Frisco!!!!!!!!!! I just love you!!!!!!! LOL

I am fortunate that I work in a hospital and people are so supportive and accepting. Everyone I have told( And I have told EVERYONE that asks!) have been great! They tell me I am melting before their eyes! My experience has been positive. Only one person out of the 1400 employees had a negitive comment. A new girl in my department said" Why don't you just lose it like normal people?" I just looked at her " **** now why didn't I think of that????"  This girl is a ditz!

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key!!        
Tirza T.
on 11/15/11 8:33 am
VSG on 01/17/12
LOL, I haven't had surgery yet, but I am hoping to soon. The people important like my husband and mother support me, it is just others that are trying to make me afraid. I can't understand why it isn't more acceptable. Even my Doctors didn't accept it. Thank goodness my new Doctor said I needed it if I wanted to stick around and see my kids grow up. I am glad that you both have had such positive responses. I think I also tell everyone I know my intentions and maybe I should have just done it and not said anything until they asked. :) Thanks for responding.
janielynne
on 11/15/11 11:00 am
PAM....

So nice to see you..How have you been?  So glad to hear you are doing so well.  I agree with you and Frisco.  You can not fix crazy people.

Marcia B.
on 11/15/11 8:30 am - CA
Excellent reply Frisco

I agree with you 100%  I haven't had one negative comment and if I ever did meet an ignorant person I would be sure to give them both barrels as well :)

Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

BuckeyeGirl
on 11/15/11 10:49 am - TN
I am open about my surgery and have never had any negative comments, save one.

A co-worker of mine was telling her physician husband (whom I have met briefly once) about my success and she told me that he kind of wrote it off and gave her a lecture about WLS being an easy way out with negative connotation. She also told me that she was explaining what I had done and he told her there is only lap band and gastric bypass. lol So that tells you how informed he is on the matter at hand.

I will admit it kind of got under my skin for...oh...90 seconds? lol It is kind of hard to care what other, largely uninformed, people think about my choices of medical treatment especially when I'm 120+ lbs lighter and so much healthier/happier overall.

There will probably always be people out there ready to discount your success no matter what you do. I've had far more supporters than naysayers and like I said, when you are feeling great and have added years onto your life, it becomes really had to give any second thoughts to what other people think. At least that has been the case for me anyway.

Best,
Lindsey

frisco
on 11/15/11 11:08 am
On November 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM Pacific Time, BuckeyeGirl wrote:
I am open about my surgery and have never had any negative comments, save one.

A co-worker of mine was telling her physician husband (whom I have met briefly once) about my success and she told me that he kind of wrote it off and gave her a lecture about WLS being an easy way out with negative connotation. She also told me that she was explaining what I had done and he told her there is only lap band and gastric bypass. lol So that tells you how informed he is on the matter at hand.

I will admit it kind of got under my skin for...oh...90 seconds? lol It is kind of hard to care what other, largely uninformed, people think about my choices of medical treatment especially when I'm 120+ lbs lighter and so much healthier/happier overall.

There will probably always be people out there ready to discount your success no matter what you do. I've had far more supporters than naysayers and like I said, when you are feeling great and have added years onto your life, it becomes really had to give any second thoughts to what other people think. At least that has been the case for me anyway.

Best,
Lindsey

The proper comment to make about the Doctor that just thinks there is only Lapband and RNY.......

"Wow....... and he seems like such a smart guy..........??????"

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

BuckeyeGirl
on 11/15/11 11:21 am - TN
To be fair to him, his specialty is pretty far removed from WLS, but yes, it is funny how people can have strong opinions regarding topics on which they are completely uneducated.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views