Staying focused

Candy0081
on 11/16/11 4:02 pm
Hello all--

I'm a few weeks shy of being 5 months out from surgery.  I'm down 105 lbs since my pre op diet.  I've been home and out of work for awhile now and that is ok as it is giving me time to focus on my food and exercise.  

Right now I am finding that I am having a hard time getting in my protein drink in the morning (or anytime really) and getting in all my water.  Until about 2 weeks ago this wasn't an issue.  Any suggestions?

Candy 

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 4:46 pm, edited 11/16/11 4:46 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Hey friend, can  you tell us more about what you mean when you say "hard time getting in" ?  Its too thick, hard to swallow, does not taste good?  Because I would say maybe thin it out, but if thick is not the issue, then that will not help!

Also, maybe making it a warm protein drink would help if you are trying to have it cold?  Mixing with coffee or warm milk (I use 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup of water) or different teas? 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4451010/Warm-protein-d rinks-ways-we-can-make-them-share-yours-please/

I made a leetle video in case it helped folks trying to make warm protein drinks and maybe that will help, but do let us know.

Are you ONLY having trouble with liquids and not foods? 

Also, your water, sometimes the pH is hard on our stomachs after surgery and it needs a pinch of baking soda or a blip of crystal light or cucumber slices in there to change the pH.
PsychoWriter
on 11/16/11 7:52 pm - St Petersburg, FL
if your pressed for time I would suggest trying new whey protein shots. Their a 4 ounce tube n hav 42 grams of protein per tube. i usually split the tube in half and I only have 2 ounces because the body can only absorb so much protein at 1 time so this way you get 2 servings out of 1 because the tubes cost about 3 dollars and 50 cents each. you can get them at any health food store and also now c v s and walgreens carries them as well. it really is a time saver to down so much protein in with such a little amount of liquid in 1 time. they really helped me when I was coming right out of surgery and even now that I'm 2 weeks post op and I'm on 2 muchies they still help n I use them all the time.
there's also a few protein products I've seen out there that are completely liquid and they contain about 18 grams of protein in 1 ounce of fluid. Most popular is Proteinex-18 which u can get thru diet direct.com. There are others you can get from your local health food store but can't vouch for them. Hope this helps.

*Now is blessed, the rest...remembered. -Jim Morrison*

emelar
on 11/17/11 1:00 am - TX
Protein shots are made of collagen.  Technically protein, but totally not absorbable by the body, so useless to us.  Even if they claim to be whey protein shots, if you look at the ingredients, the first one listed is collagen.  My theory is that they wave a little whey over it so that they can list it in the ingredients and don't get in trouble with the "truth in advertising" folks, but what you're really getting is nasty tasting jello that does you no good.
Candy0081
on 11/17/11 12:09 am
 It's not that I can't drink the protein or the water, but it doesn't taste good and has no real appeal.  I've tried a bunch of different brands of things for protein and all or ok, but none are great.  As for the water, I think maybe I'm bored, I do the crystal light and plain water on occasion, but its not super tasty.  I'd much rather have a latte or something.  Ugh.  I think its mostly in my head, but I'm having a hard time and its been reflected in the scale moving VERY slwoly.  :|

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 12:25 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

With some things *in my opinion alone!* we have to break with the notion that unless we find excitement in it we will not consume it.

I am 2-1/2 years out.  My labs at 1 year showed my protein was 1 point BELOW low normal, where it had been smack dab middle normal before surgery.  So, whether or not the glossy brochures say vsg folks, being a restrictive surgery alone, do NOT have issues with protein - some of us do.  My point is - it does not matter how exciting I find it or not - that is not the question. The question is - do I care enough for my muscles (of which my heart is a very important one!) to consume 3 to 4 shakes a day (calories I would MUCH rather eat, you know!!) and FIND a way to deal?  And for me, the answer is yes.

water is really important too, you will feel like a bucket of smashed buttholes if you get dehydrated and I promise, an IV and a copay is much less applealing than finding *some* way to get some water in!  :}

Shakes - like I say - try warm stuff,. mixing with coffee or milk or teas. For cold, I make cubes of diet cream soda and grind them up in my shakes, or cubes of different teas and grind them up, for difffernt flavors.

And too, they do not *have* to be mixed with a full 8 ounces of water, its not more efficient that way, so, sometimes, if I do not have the time/not in the mood for a full protein coffee/tea or a shake, then I put it in a little cup with a lid, put a few ounces of water in there, shake it up and slam it.  Not exciting as Jaggermeister, but I do not wake up sstrange places either.  :} 

Its okay to go through a period of blah or bored, but do not let it put the Spirit of Eeyore on you!!  You might just need a boost of different thinking and it will be okay!

Also some folks make cake shakes, like little proteiny muffins they put in the nuker, I think they taste like burnt stanky possumbutt - but some folks like em a lot!  (and it could be that my tongue wants cake when I tell it that's what's coming!  :}  ).

Cheer up lilla camper! 

Oh, too, Unsweetened Almond milk has like 35 cals and 4 carbs so, you could use that to make a lattee sort of thing with coffee and your protein drink!!

I like Optimum Nutrition's Caramel Toffee Fudge flavor a LOT!  Its my new favorite flavor. So maybe a new flavor or a new brand even might help, to keep your flavors/brands rotated and your tongue not so bored?

Good luck friend!  It aint nothing but a speedbump!  And when you can eat all your protein, maybe you can dump the shakes (if you do not grow up to be like me..:} ).
Be sweet!

Also, those protein shots are collagen, and we really do not absorb that protein very well at all, so its kind of ******g your money away. 

Candy0081
on 11/17/11 3:12 am
 Thanks Brandilynn those are some really good suggestions.  I guess its off to the store to get some new protein options.  Trying them warm is a good idea too.  :)  This whole thing is such a ride.  

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 4:08 am, edited 11/17/11 4:09 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

You are welcome!!

YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB SO FAR!!!  This is just a blip! 

Vitalady.com if you go there, you can order samples of protein shakes and Michelle will send them to you.  She ultimately charges for shipping by weight.

netrition.com - you can order samples and they charge a flat 5 dollar fee for shipping for 48 contiguous states.

For lowest carb and calorie I liked the Matrix/Syntrax Chocolate Truffle, some folks like their nectars *(fruity flavors) but I did not..

For me now, my faves are the cake batter that Emelar mentioned, its Optimum Nutrition, and the caramel toffee fudge, also Optimum nutrition.  I get all my stuff from netrition.com because I like their 5 dollar flat rate shipping.  I am also getting white chocolate and chocolate coconut from them next week, so we shall see!  I go through 10 pounds a month. :} Yaay (or something like yaay.  :})

Be sweet girlie!  this aint nuttin but a small thing - do not let it discourage you! 

YOU ARE DOOINGG THIS!11

Also.. USAFwife has a post about a bunch of different ways to doctor up protein shakes.  I will find it later and link you if you have not found it yet!

emelar
on 11/17/11 1:04 am - TX
If you like lattes (so do I!), do a protein coffee.  I use the Optimum Nutrition Cake Batter mixed with a few ounces of non-fat milk, then pour it like cream into a cup of coffee.  It's pretty tasty, 28 grams of protein (with the milk), and 164 calories.  The toffee caramel fudge is pretty good in coffee too.  Just find a protein powder that you can live with and go for it.

No, it's not something I'd be reaching for pre-surgery.  But I look at it like medicine.  I need it and this is how it's tolerable for me.
Candy0081
on 11/18/11 7:03 am
 I can't find samples of the cake batter anywhere!  Ack!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views