Warm protein drinks, ways we can make them - share yours please!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 9:44 pm, edited 9/15/11 10:12 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Okay, its getting chilly here in the mornings (yaaay!!) so I made a warm protein coffee this morning (I usually have cold protein coffee in the summer) and thought - HEY!  Birds, stones and all of that, maybe someone could use a tutorial!  So, here I am in my terribly glamourous star studded morning outfit :} stuttering and stumbling trying to get the vitamin C and P fixed and into my gullet!  :}

If you make it differently, please feel free to share here!  I thought it might be helpful if we had a "warm protien drink" sort of thread we could reference and folks could pick and choose which method worked best for them.

**also!  For eveningtime - you could make a warm protein drink, be it coffee, or tea (I will use Chai tea that I have made and Cake Batter as my milky creamer) or I will often just use unsweetened almond milk, so the *what* you mix it with is not as important as getting your technique down so you do not curdle your protein.  Also, green tea and niller protein goes well together (in my book!)

Words for folks who do not care to be stunned by my morning amazingness.  :}

Put protein in small container with lid.  Put small amount (I use the 1/3 cup, but only because that is what I use to measure my almond milk for my vatOjoe) of liquid in there, shake into slurry.

Put small amount of warmed *whatever* in container.  Stir, may add a bit more of warmed *whatever* stir.

Pour into vatOJoe.

Yum!

Video!

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr37/brandilynnhealthjour ney/?action=view¤t=proteincoffeeee.mp4

Edited to also ask -

What are your favorite proteins for using in your warmed drink?

My favorite vanilla is Optimum Nutrition's Cake Batter (really good with green tea!!)
Chocolates - Optimum Nutrition's Caramel Toffee Fudge !!!!!
Optimum Nutrition's Chocolate Malt.

Favorite chocolate low carb, Syntrax Nectar Sweets Chocolate Truffle.
Favorite lower carb nilla?  Did not have one. 

The ON's are higher carb than the Syntrax, but are not crazy high (like the BSN Desserts, which are yummy but whooo.. if you are watching carbs they are a splurge!)

Still Fawn
on 9/15/11 10:07 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I love your kitchen!

I also love warmed protein drinks in ma coffee... Do it the same way as you though, so nothing productive to add..

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 10:10 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Thank you!!  Its definitely one of the rooms in our house that makes me smile when I go in.

And not *just* because that's where I keep the food!  :} 

Hey.. riddle me your favorite flavors and brands!  I will add that and maybe that can be helpful too! 
Still Fawn
on 9/15/11 10:38 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Ha ha.. I would smile double for the brick and the food!

I like ready to drink vanilla pure protein, room temp, mixed with a matcha green tea latte (green tea powder and ho****er), with the protein acting as both the milk and sugar in there..

I also like chocolate ens from celebrate slurried and added to a caramel latte (stbx caramel coffee packe****er, shot cream).

I love that basically any protein shake can act as the sugar and creamer in a hot drink..

I also love peppermint, but usually just use a plain van or choc slurry and make the coffee with a shot (or two) of sugar free peppermint paddy syrup..

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

michellemj
on 9/15/11 10:19 pm
GEL-us o' your giant kitchen.

(I was trying to insert pic o' my old apt kitchen...but OH is being not nice. My new kitchen is loads better, but still...nothing like yours...)

So, I haven't done warmed protein coffee yet cuz I just moved back into coffee land. But back in the colden days last winter, I was in love with About Time's Chocolate Mint with skim...reminded me o' Sbux Peppermint Mocha. I'm sure it would be delightful in coffee. When I tried it with almond milk, it clumped like the dickens...but I'm guessing it was because I was impatient (me? impatient? imagine that...) and didn't wait for it to cool long enough.

But I've developed my love/hate relationship w. About Time so I don't know if the newest batches of their protein are still any good. I still have some left but I probably won't reorder. But others make Chocolate Mint, right?

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 10:28 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Our house was supposed to be a model home for the neighborhood until the subdivisioners lost all their money :} So the house has some cool features that we otherwise would not have gotten, like my brick arch!  The kitchen floor is brick too, so that's nice, unless you tend to drop things (me!!) but you learn what things to remind yourself to get a grip on!  I wish though that it was connected to the living room somehow because sometimes I am lonely cooking while everyone else is in the main area.  Oh it was good for sneak eating while I was cooking :} but that season is over.  Yaay!

Yes other's make chocomint.  ON does, I know.  Fella loves GNC's AMP (I think its AMP) Chocolate Mint.  I am going to order ON Chocomint next batch.

This weekend is shopping again, and I will work hard to overcome my genetic issues with getting things in the mail so you can taste the flavors I have and see if they are worth your cashdolla when your AT stash is gone! 

Also, did you just put the warm stuff directly into the powder (or vice versa?)  I use cool stuff to slurry the powder, and then add the warm to the  slurry.  ITs not screaming hot boiling stuff I add, but definitely hot enough you do not want it spilled in your lap :}
michellemj
on 9/16/11 1:41 am
I put the powder directly in the warm stuff. It was fine with the skim, but not the almond. I'm guessing that the almond got that much hotter? Whatev. I'll try again at some point. Maybe this weekend cuz it's chilly brrrrr here. YAY! (and yay new sweater dress from Athleta.)

I always drop stuff on kitchen floor but Osc is a mop as well as garbage disposal so all is right with the world.

oh. I forgots you were gonna mail proteins. Don't worry. I don't have the mail gene either. My family hates me cuz I never send stuff. Doesn't make it easier that post office not be convenient in NYC either.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

tripmom02
on 9/15/11 10:44 pm - NJ
 I am super lazy and can't have coffee yet, so I warm up 8 ozs of skim milk add a packet of sugar free hot chocolate and a shot of Davinci sugar free syrup (I have several so whatever I am in the mood for) and a scoop of vanilla powder and one of chocolate and I mix it with my stick blender to make it smooth. 

The idea of the ball jars is awesome, I think I am going to pull out some the small jars that are no longer good for canning and use them like you do! What a great idea! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Cristal231
on 9/15/11 11:06 pm - MI
I don't like coffee at all, but I do drink hot chocolate when it cold out and there is a site ( sure u already know of it) Diet Direct .com , They have protein hot chocolate,  and Cappuccino , both are very good low carbs, and about 10-15 gms of protein.
BariBariHappy
on 9/15/11 11:22 pm - MI
I too drink the Diet Direct Cappacino, Hot Chocolate, Mocha Chocolate. They ROCK. I mix mine with 8oz of Decaf. I warms the tummy...and the heart on these chilly mornings!
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views