X-Post: Centrum Multivitamin too large?

thethinme
on 11/23/11 11:31 am - NY
Hi all, I am 10 months out (hmm had to think about this one, I just stopped counting after reaching goal!) and there's something that's been annoying me for a while now. Right after surgery, I had chewable Centrum (which tastes terrible to me with that orangy artificial flavor) and then eventually went back to regular Centrum pills. But till this day, I still feel they're kind of large for my stomach and it's uncomfortable taking them.

Do you guys have any advice on what vitamin to take instead? As you can tell, I am picky about taste, size and also about the content (the vitamins content per se)!

What would you recommend instead? Answers much appreciated as I have to get new ones this week.

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

sunnymicki
on 11/23/11 11:59 am, edited 11/23/11 12:00 am
I have the Celebrate chewables with iron (I think the flavor is forest berry or something like that) and they are decent. I really think we absorb the chewable vitamins better than swallowed pills, since we don't have very much stomach time to digest the pill.

But I also have the Celebrate capsules from pre-op (they are marketed for pre-ops, but still a complete vitamin), and they are just normal size capsules - probably easier to swallow than the Centrum.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Birdie55
on 11/23/11 12:18 pm
If you like the vitamins, other than their size, why not break them in half or cut with a pill cutter.  I break my vitamins in half and cut the calcium because I don't do well with large pills.  

I tried a bunch of different chewables, but either didn't like the flavor or the content.  I take a mixture of Costco vitamins and will settle with a combo of their regular and multi vitamins, so not to get much iron. I want a little iron only and the mature multis don't have any.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 12:38 pm
i use liquid vitamins right now and also plan to do the same after my surgery.  i think they absorb better.  not sure if they do once your stomach is resized.  have to look that up.
BriarRose
on 11/23/11 12:55 pm
Hey sleeve sister ! I take one-a-day petites. You have to take 2 to equal one big one, but they just "feel" better going down to me. I never before had trouble taking big pills, but now, it just "doesn't feel quite right.." I asked a pharmacist if there were any small vits out there and he suggested these. As far as I'm concerned MAJOR LIFESAVER for me !!! They slide right down.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
thethinme
on 12/11/11 8:46 am - NY
hi BriarRose, was re-reading this topic as I am back from vacation and intend to get the vitamins this week, and looked online for the one-a-day petites. apparently there is a whole "petite" commerce, I didn't know about it. in your opinion, does it have all the normal vitamins we need, as centrum? how does it taste?

hope you see this ;) and congrats for the -100+ pounds!
doggz109
on 11/23/11 6:28 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
No real insight here.  I can't take regular full size vitamins now (and im not sleeved).  They always make me feel nauseous....even with food.  I can't even imagine how much worse it would be with a smaller stomach.

I currently am taking the nasty orange chewable ones you said you didn't like.   I don't mind them and will probably continue with them after surgery.

I've heard good things about the Bariatric Advantage brand of chewables.
thethinme
on 11/23/11 11:44 pm - NY
Great advice, thanks everyone...

The liquid multivitamin got me curious... I've been taking liquid melatonin to sleep and obviously it's much better than any pill.

What brands are out there for liquid multis?

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

thethinme
on 11/23/11 11:46 pm - NY
also, the responses got me thinking: does the smaller stomach influence how the pills are disolved/absorbed??? any concrete reference for this?
MyOwnSunshine
on 11/24/11 8:21 am
Bariatric Advantage has a powder that you mix with liquid.  It's not bad.  It doesn't have iron, so you would have to take additional iron.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views