Running out of pants and hard to fit...

CoolBeans
on 12/23/11 4:01 am - MD
 So I am running out of pants. Of course I am thrilled to be dropping sizes, but I have been hunting for pants and I am so short that even when I buy petite sizes I need too get them hemmed. (And no, I have never learned to sew other than making minor repairs or button replacement). So, I bought three new pairs recently in petite and had to take all of them to get them hemmed. This is going to get expensive as I go down more sizes. 
 Cari    
PrettyEyes_41
on 12/23/11 4:08 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I can't wait to have that problem! lol  Fortunately I have several sizes smaller than the current me in my closet still that I never got rid of as I gained weight. Now I have them organized by size waiting for the new me someday. Our local dry cleaners has a seamstress so I plan on using her for awhile to take in my clothes so I don't have to keep buying new until I get closer to my goal. Merry Christmas!
M. Nguyen
on 12/23/11 4:13 am - TX
I can't fit a regular size and petite is sometimes too short for me. So i'm stuck always going to get them hemmed. I usually shop at stores like ross and go after huge sales, so adding the tailoring price will still be cheaper than buying really nice new jeans. No worries, just wait until you get down to your goal. You'll be unstoppable! ^_^

LaToya S.
on 12/23/11 4:20 am - Edwardsville, IL
Check out downsizeme.com someone told me about it and I will be geting my clothes from there!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 6:05 am
I've had some luck with hand-me-downs but I'm out of people to hand down to me LOL.

What I've done is this:

1 pair of black slacks for work. Any pants "too big" I wear as long as I can with a belt and that's gotten me pretty far.

1 pair of jeans that fit.

Shirts, buy them small. Buy them so they are snug when you put them on, they last longer that way. I still wear shirts that are too big for me, but I have a couple that fit to mix in.

I now wear my work shirts with my jeans casually so I'm not buying both work shirts and casual shirts.

Right now in my closet I have 1 pair of slacks that fit (well, for now, they are already getting loose), 2 pair that are a size too big and I use a belt with. About 2 shirts that fit, and 5 or 6 that are loose but I still wear them.

I go like this all the way down. I will need new jeans in about 10 more pounds, but I buy jeans that are super snug with that elasticky kind of jean material so they shrink with me.

I've also intentionally shrunk some shirts, that doesn't always work but it has worked on a few. Hot wash, hot, hot dryer for too long.

Try not to buy too much. Also hit the second hand stores. No sense in going broke on things you won't be wearing in 6 months!
Awesomassager
on 12/23/11 10:34 am - KY
At the fabric stores there is tape that you can use and iron on yourself. Just use a ruler and a friend to help. I do this for my step daughters pants since we cant afford to get them all hemmed. It works great and she said she cant even tell that it is in there. we also cut off alot of the extra. It was  between 3-5 dollars and comes in a roll so you can cut it yourself. We got a few of hers done this way. Hope this helps
mandyc1975
on 12/24/11 2:45 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
get some stitch witchery. You can get it from Joanns, Han****s or any fabric store you have in your area. If you don't know what it is, it is just a roll of "tape" (not sticky). You fold your pants under to the length you want and then put the stitch witchery tape inside the fold and iron it. It will bond the fabric. I doubt it would work well long term, but it would work great while you're only staying in a size for a little while. Then you won't have to get your pants hemmed until you reach your goal.

Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Sassy B
on 12/24/11 3:36 pm
My biggest trick is wearing a skinny belt just under my chest.... It defines my now smaller waistline and can make shirts that are clearly too big look OK enough for work, etc.

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

Most Active