4 weeks post op today!

MsMick111
on 12/26/11 11:46 pm - Cleveland, OH
I was certain that I hit a stall after week three.  I actually thought that I had gained weight by some happenstance.  BUT, today is week four post-op and I was down another four pounds!

Now, the not so good news.  I don't think I can drink another protein shake.  They absolutely disgust me at this point.  What am I going to do?  I also begin soft solids today and I have no idea what that means.  To me, everything seems to be a real solid or part of the puree group.  I need food ideas BAD.  HELLLLLP!
Height 5' 7 1/2"  HW/PRE-OP WEIGHT:244  SW:236  CW:184 GW:162
Month 1 - 26 lbs.          Month 4 - 10 lbs.    Month 7 - ?              Month 10 - ?
Month 2 - 6 lbs.            Month 5 - ?            Month 8 - ?              Month 11 - ?
Month 3 - 9 lbs.            Month 6 - ?            Month 9 - ?              Month 12 - ?

pixel8me
on 12/27/11 12:07 am
Have you ever tried nector protein powder unflavored? that is what I use just for the simple fact that the vanilla, chocolate etc.. shakes makes me gag!

soft foods include things like hummus, refried beans, eggs etc go to www.bariatriceating.com

and good luck!!

Mike B.
on 12/27/11 12:08 am
Hello,
If you find yourself not wanting to drink another protein drink, try getting an unflavored protein powder and add it to your food; that way you still get in your protein. I have tried "Jay Robb unflavored Whey Protein Isolate" and I cannot taste it in my food. Good Luck

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

MsMick111
on 12/27/11 12:14 am - Cleveland, OH
Thanks.  I have some unflavored powder but I have been afraid to try it and afraid to ruin my food.  I had a drink from Orange Julius with a protein burst and all I can say is YUCK.  The protein powder was the first thing I could taste and I would imagine that it is unflavored.
Height 5' 7 1/2"  HW/PRE-OP WEIGHT:244  SW:236  CW:184 GW:162
Month 1 - 26 lbs.          Month 4 - 10 lbs.    Month 7 - ?              Month 10 - ?
Month 2 - 6 lbs.            Month 5 - ?            Month 8 - ?              Month 11 - ?
Month 3 - 9 lbs.            Month 6 - ?            Month 9 - ?              Month 12 - ?

skyjem
on 12/27/11 12:23 am - Canada
I was like that around week four (I'll be in finishing week 6 this Friday). I mean miserable to the point where I had to remove myself from family because I was disgusted and angry that I had to choke down these disgusting protein drinks.
Thankfully, that has passed and now I just drink them because I don't want to get sick or protein deficient. I still think the taste is horrible but I realised it will be a long while before I can eat 70-80g of protein a day. Other people have said you have to look at protein shakes as a requirement not a choice and it's true.

My diet has been pretty bland and boring but I know it's not going to be forever.

Right now I eat:
-protein shake, 29g protein, 3/4 cup/ 1cup of green tea
-water, 1cup
-protein shake, 3/4 cup/green tea, 1cup
-water, 1 cup
-cottage cheese,1oz, plain greek yogurt, 1oz, 1tbsp salsa, 0.2oz chedder cheese, leaving back about 1 tbsp
-water, 1cup
-1/2 large egg, still leaving back a bite
-water, 1 cup

Boring I know but it will get better when I can eat more dense protein. I have tried some fish but I can only eat a couple bites. I've also tried soups but I'm still working on some recipes to make them as low carb as possible. I want to stay under 40g of carbs a day. Good luck!
Nadia

MsMick111
on 12/27/11 12:32 am - Cleveland, OH
It's so funny you mentioned that because my familly said I was "different" this holiday.  I can't eat anything, I can't have a ****tail and my kids have just bankrupted me, what do they expect, LOL.
tillmadd
on 12/27/11 1:17 am, edited 12/27/11 1:18 am - WI
for soft foods included: chicken salad, mine is from sams club (sycamore farms) high in protein, tuna salad, egg salad, pintos and cheese, chili, (I make white chicken chili it is delicious) greek yogurt, shrimp raw/sauteed, fish, turkey meatballs, deviled eggs, peanut butter, just some of my favorites!!

Good luck to you! I am PMS now and my hunger is present so I am pissed, funny i did not think i would get PMS munchies after surgery....I was wrong!!!
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

MsMick111
on 12/27/11 1:29 am - Cleveland, OH
Thanks Zane.  Do you mind giving me your chili recipe?  Eggs freak me out so that automatically rules out a lot of things .  I am so stressed out trying to get this protein thing right.  I find it hard to believe that it is possible to get in 80 grams....ever.
vocalcoach
on 12/27/11 1:25 am - MD
Soft solids are foods like yogart, tuna, runny oatmeal, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, small sweet potatos, soft 2% cheese (got these from the list from my nutritionist for weeks 3 and 4 post op).

You didn't mention anything about a transition class back to solids?  Does your surgeon/nutritionist offer a class?  Mine does at week 4 post op.  We'll be getting food lists and all sorts of resources, etc...check with your doctor to see if they have suggestions.

Hope it all works out for you!! 

Mutha24Boyz
on 12/27/11 3:16 am, edited 12/27/11 3:18 am - NY
Michelle we are sleeve sisters!!! I eat lots of greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Chicken salad made with canned chicken goes down pretty easy and I like to make "tuna melts" with tuna salad and melted cheese on top. Today I even ate a piece of reduced fat cheese and some turkey pepperoni. Just be sure to chew thouroghly! I am also having trouble with my protein shakes, I try to change them up with different Sugar free syrups and decaf coffee and such, but everyday is a struggle. I just know that I must get my protein up so my hair and nails stay healthy and I lose fat and not muscle mass. Oh and tofu is soft and a good sourse of protein too! If you cant tolerate eggs try "scrambing" some tofu with som Mrs. Dash. Good Luck to you and Keep up the great job!

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 437 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 457 views