I'm having a hard time telling when I'm full

KaVash
on 12/31/11 12:31 pm - OH
It's like, I'll take one bite too many and I end up in pain with vomiting. How can I tell when I'm full?  I had surgery on 12/12, btw.
hw: 272lbs cw:181 sw:??? gw:150

Shana16
on 12/31/11 12:38 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I get a runny nose or I get hiccups. Most of the time it is a runny nose.  Try eating slower or smaller bites.
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

ruggie
on 12/31/11 12:38 pm - Sacramento, CA
 While you're still so new, eat very s l o w l y.  Wait 30 seconds between swallows - it takes me a bit of time to "update" from my stomach to my brain. Also, be sure your food is well chewed. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

frisco
on 12/31/11 12:54 pm

Always eat fixed/measured amounts of food that is under your sleeve capacity.

Eat slow and progressively slower towards the end......this pretty much assures you won't go over the edge. Don't over eat.... your still in a critical healing period.

Eating till your full is how we got fat. Eating under your capacity has many advantages and easier to keep track of your intake.

Take it slow.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

frenchgrapes
on 12/31/11 6:36 pm - TX
I've got this crazy mentality that I have to eat everything on my plate because there are starving children in China. I know it is crazy but that is how it is. My little tummy doesn't tell me it is full either. So, I use small things to hold the food I plan to eat at a sitting and put no more than 4 ounces of food in the bowl or on the plate. The only big things I use are my hot drink mug and my cold drink jug, which hold 16 and 24 ounces respectively.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
Samantha H.
on 12/31/11 7:14 pm - Kuwait City, Kuwait
I don't have a "signal" yet, either. Or, if I do, I don't recognize it yet. OR, I just haven't been "full" yet.

I went out and bought a bunch of baby things - bowls, plates, utensils. The bowls are fantastic. They come in 3 different sizes and are all small. I use the biggest one when cooking and eat out of the smallest 2. The portion size is perfect and even if I eat a full bowl, I am still undereating my sleeve.

The baby utensils help me control how much I am putting into my mouth. I was always one of those people who took ginormous bites and scaling that down has been my biggest issue thus far.

I also start talking inbetween bites. It helps me regulate how long I am waiting. If you don't have someone to talk to, sing a nursery rhyme or children's song to make sure that you are taking ample time inbetween bites. Sometimes, it takes a while for your stomach to talk to your brain.

minkyluvs
on 12/31/11 9:57 pm - Detroit, MI
 In the beginning you should only want a couple of bites of food, but I do understand I'm still there where I don't know when I should know if I'm full because I feel like I always want to eat.  I now at soft foods or whatever I want and it is very hard to stay on target.  I'm want pizza and just all types of bad things that I know that I should not have.  They tell you that because your stomach is smaller that you would eat less but trying to figure out when you are full makes that hard.  I'm looking for a support group here in the Detroit area that can help me with some issues I'm having.  And I advise you to find a group and there will be others that have had the same feelings that you have and let us all know.  If you need me to vent to please feel free to email me any time.  I don't know everything and I'm still learning but it is always good to have someone to chat with.  I just had my surgery the beginning of Dec.

Tee
USAF Wife
on 12/31/11 10:03 pm
Measuring your portions by volume, eating slow, and chewing well will prevent this from happening.

Eating until full helped get us fat. It's a behavior/habit that is better left changed.  Plus, all of your stomach nerves have been cut, stapled off and traumatized so it can't really "feel" anything.

I had to stop looking for this full signal and really focus on undereating my sleeve capacity.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

b_scene33
on 1/1/12 4:40 am - OH
I'm having similar issues, I feel like my main issue comes from eating too fast. Because if I'm talking or not rushing I can usually pick up on the subtle signs I'm full, sometimes hiccups, sometimes just a satisfied not hungry feeling. It's hard to find the balance, usually I get to the point I have to spit out my last bite bc i know it's too much. But I would say try slowing down, which is soo hard, but I think the only way to familiarize yourself with feeling satisfied. I hope you can find it soon I know how miserable it is to eat too much, I do it often and pay the price!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

tamikagale
on 1/1/12 5:59 am
I have the same issue expect, I never vomitted until today I feel bad after I eat and I wait 10 minutes between bites, my food is always cold after and I measure out 2 oz....I dont understand either.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views