called my doc today

corimeyers24
on 1/4/12 12:35 am - TX
 i wnated to ask whar bogie size they used and now she is going to look up notes from the surgery and call me..... im kinda worried because during surgery i had a bad bleed he had to pull tools out and stitch some up because staples wouldnt stop it he said that vein had crystalized.. so my worry is that i didnt get sleeved all the way which i never thought about before but it came to my attention yesterday when i ate 1 and a half cups of food with out getting extremely stuffed i was ful but not horribly.. i wounder if they would even tell me if that was the case... i dont want my tummy to go back like it was b4.... i tried only eating 3/4 of a cup at a time but am usually still wanting more maybe i should eat just meat that way im full on less... the cup and a half was chicken salad bunch of veggies does anyone eat alot more when eating a salad at 1 year postop 

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/4/12 1:07 am, edited 1/4/12 1:07 am
The further out we get, the more we can eat (to a point). But we'll never get back to our old stomach sizes/capacities with the sleeve (unless you got a really funked up sleeve). It sounds like you may be eating food that is not purely dense protein, so it may be somewhat of a slider food. I've heard some sleevers mention that salad is a slider food for them. It goes through the pyloric valve faster than dense protein, such as chicken breast, and therefore allows them to eat more.

Bougie size only tells part of the story. It also depends on how tight around the bougie the surgeon stapled and whether or not they oversewed or overglued the staple line. Plus you mention the vein issue which could have complicated that part for you. I think it's a good question for your surgeon so you are on the right track by asking them. You could also request a copy of your leak test/report if you had one at the time of surgery. ANd you could also possibly get a swallow test done now to see the size of your stomach. Just depends on how far you and your surgeon want to take it.

You lost 107 pounds so that is awesome!! Don't lose faith!

Best of lucK!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Carmelita
on 1/4/12 3:11 am - Four Corners, NM
Worried (be scared) or Trust your surgeon did a fine job. I don't know how muuch weight you've lost as I don't see signatures but yer surgery was a lil over a year ago and yer calling your surgeon NOW about the size of your bougie?  Now YOU HAVE NO CONFIDENCE? FRIGHTENED?  IF you had not lost a drop of weight within 3 months post op...THAT'S the time you CALL YER SURGEON!! ...what did YOU tell your surgeon at your ANNUAL after care appt about your fears. Did ya ever get the hard copy of your surgery...will tell ya everything right there..bougie/guide used, oversewn running/continious, % of stomach removed (pathology report of excised stomach)

I don't understand WHY SO MANY VSGrs on this BOARD are AFRAID!! I SEE IT MORE and MORE.... are soooo uptight about "eating too much " about VSG bougie sizes about their SURGEONS NOT DOING "CORRECT" VSGs..........I BET ALL THIS CRAZY **** is  COMING FROM...Illina and Freako Dr. Criangles pts! Just block em! like I had to!

Did someone else tell you recently that YOU should not be eating a cup and a half at a YEAR OUT?? that's 12 oz by WEIGHT right!!  NOT measure/volume,.,.,as in measuring cup ...but WEIGHT FOOD SCALE!

I eat 6 cups of SALAD at a sitting...thats 48 OZ.  of salad at a meal!!  48oz of salad DON'T WEIGH ****!  You ate 1.5 cups of I dunno what...maybe the foods ya ate wasn't all that dense. I dunno. DID YOU WEIGH IT ALL?

..for pete's sake! ENJOY THIS RIDE!!  Do NOT LET ANY NUTJOB on this BOARD...inc. ME...make YOU FEEL LIKE SOMETHING YOU ARE DOING IS WRONG!!

YOU find out what works FOR YOU!  
If you don't like the feeling you get from eating 1.5 cups of xyz...don't eat 1.5 cups of xyz next time.....its the chronic behaviors that get us...not 1.5 cups of xyz once in awhile!!

Worryin (fear) about it is sure fire way to SHUT YER BODY DOWN! ..stress look it up!

Know what I did for MY New Years Evolution?  ........I THREW MY SCALE IN THE TRASHCAN!
THIS YEAR ...IM FEELING IT! Pants/Clothes gettin tight...back to tweakin it..but for sure NOT WORRYING about some "NUMB" ER! 

Maybe ya need to tweak this instead of worry about it...if ya ain't losing anymore weight...yer body is playin catch up or your diet is leanin MORE CARB (sugar) than protein.......bump it up, switch it up..WAKE IT UP!

PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN
HI PROTEIN LOWER CARB
HI PROTEIN LOWER FAT, NO CARBS

TONS OF WATER 30 minutes before meals...and IN BETWEEN!!

Up YOUR BURN!!  BREAK A SWEAT once in a while...heavier weights...

IF AT FIRST YA DON'T SUCCEED TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!

From my Bougies in VSG blog: 

YOUR WEIGHT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SIZE OF YOUR STOMACH ALTERED OR NOT!!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/

Wanna check yer restriction...do the 5DPT  (link and caveats on Stalls n Plateaus blog on my profile!) will send ya off into ketosis pure unadulterated fat burning mode..and will show you yer restriction is THERE and NEVER LEFT YA!!

its WHAT YER EATING and HOW MUCH that is slowin ya down NOW!

Ya wanna check how much food fills yer NEW TUMMY?  do the cottage cheese test...it will be YOUR BREAKFAST! .if ya wanna eliminate some fear....start weighing your food so you can undereat yer sleeves capacity tull ya get this....link on my Bougies in VSG blog...scroll to bottom....

Here's how I do MINE!.

COTTAGE CHEESE TEST:  
EAT ONLY TO THE SENSATION OF FULLNESS,,,NOT TO OVERFULL.
NO MORE THAN 5  MINUTES TO COMPLETE THE TEST!!

you'll need
a container of cottage cheese small curd lo fat
1 CUP (8 oz) MEASURING CUP
 TABLESPOON
separate bowl 

I put level 8 oz of cottage cheese
in a separate bowl FIRST...ya gotta eat it pretty fast
I use FF small curd (gallbladder diet!)   

IF
 I still need to EAT MORE...than the 8 OZ....I use a LEVEL TABLESPOON to go into the container of cottage cheese and eat from it!   2 TBS =1 oz! 

so ya add the 8 oz if ya ate that and other other tablespoons together...and YA FIND OUT HOW MUCH YER NEW STOMACH ACTUALLY HOLDS!!    IF ya hold 8-12 oz of cottage cheese after its said n done...YA GOT A PERFECTLY NORMAL SLEEVE!!   nows ya sleep better at night!!

Course that known to ya...is it possible to EAT MORE than that at a sittin....very possibly depending on the food! and density...

If yer hungry all the time...not being sated...CHECK STRESS! CHECK DEHYDRATION CHECK INTO BARI SUPPORT, THERAPY, BURN, HOW MUCH YER TAKIN IN.....YOU MAKE YER ADJUSTMENTS!  

...PLEASE DO NOT LET ANYONE HERE CONVINCE YOU THAT YOUR SLEEVE IS BOTCHED...IVE seen BOTCHED VSGs here....and yours ain't one...least Ive never seen you post about a potentially botched sleeve almost a year ago!  Be at peace that yer surgeon did right by you...

Nothin about this surgery is A ONE SIZE FITS ALL!!
Nothin about this surgery is MAGIC....ya gotta do yer fair share 99% of workin on it forevermore!

FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...don't work...try sumthin else!

Peace out cubscout!
emelar
on 1/4/12 3:34 am - TX
Yes, I can eat more if I'm eating non-dense foods, even proteins.  I can eat more chili than I can steak, more chicken salad than chicken breast.  So, if you're feeling hungry, go back to the dense proteins first.  It really will fill you up faster and keep you full longer.  Otherwise, measure out your 3-4 (or whatever) oz of non-dense protein and follow-up with a few oz of veggies to get you full.
corimeyers24
on 1/4/12 4:33 am - TX
 thank you for the replys

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 421 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 441 views