4 Days Out - Swallowing/Gas

Jack_Fabulous
on 2/19/12 3:16 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
Hi guys! I'm just 4 days post-op and I have noticed that it takes a long time for anything I swallow to make it's way to the stomach.  I typically get this gassy/bloated feeling where I think pressure from gas build up is slowing down my swallowing.  I'm wondering if it is just gas that will eventually go away or if this is something more permanent due to my new plumbing?  Anyone else experience this?  Also, how long does the gas from the surgery say in your body? I really want to get rid of it. 

npmiller001
on 2/19/12 3:27 am - LA
I had my surgery on the 17th and the gas is still there. It won't come out the bottom just the top and I am about to go nuts.It feels like my chest is about to explode. The doctor told me that this is normal and that it will go away. My husband (had the bypass three years ago) told me it takes around 5 days. My doctor recommended gas x strips and hot showers letting it hit on my chest and on my back. I've already taken 2 showers today because it makes it feel better for around 10-15 minutes and the pressure is not so bad. The doctor said that the ho****er helps absorb the gas and hopefully move it towards the bottom. Other than that I am feeling great. It's hard to get all my liquids in but I am trying.Hope this helps! 
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/19/12 3:33 am
The swallowing and gas sound normal to me.  Swallowing will get better as your internal swelling subsides.  This could take weeks.  The gas will go away too and will take days.  Walking helps more than anything.  Your body needs to absorb it so it can pass it.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views