Band to sleeve revision due to esophageal dilation & achalasia?

Jean M.
on 2/21/12 3:11 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Michelle, I'm so glad to hear that your band-to-sleeve revision was successful and also that you were able to have your band removed and the sleeve done in one procedure. I'll be in touch by PM as questions/concerns arise.

Thanks,
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Ms Shell
on 2/21/12 1:54 am - Hawthorne, CA
Hey darlin just wanted to say hi.  I'm a virgin sleeve but I have seen those on the revision boards that had scar tissue issues yet had their band to sleeve revision in one surgery and the scar tissue was a problem.

I can't link you because I didn't pay close attention.  Just get a few opinions from doctors especially those well versed with revisions and dealing with scar tissue.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Jean M.
on 2/21/12 3:18 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks, Shell. Maybe as a long-term "virgin" sleeve you can address one of my concerns about staple/suture line failure with the sleeve. Is that something I should worry about? A lot? A little?

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

emelar
on 2/21/12 4:04 am - TX
I'm not Shell, but I throw an answer out for you!

Because you'd be a revision, there is a higher chance for a leak from the surgery.  Even so, the chances aren't high, but it's there.  A leak is where the suture line wasn't closed, so gastric fluid is leaking out of the stomach and into the abdomen.  This happens right at surgery.  Most docs do a leak test either on the table or the day after (or both) to make sure there's no problem.

Once you pass the risk of a leak, there really isn't any other issue with the suture line.  The titanium staples hold everything together until the stomach heals.  Then the scar tissue takes over and holds everything in place - the staples don't even matter any more.
Jean M.
on 2/21/12 4:09 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks so much for that clear explanation.

Ms Shell
on 2/21/12 4:26 am - Hawthorne, CA
Just to reiterate the chances of a leak with a virgin sleeve is abt 1%.  I believe it goes up to 5% with a revision because wherever you have scar tissue that is where the problem will be.

If you have a leak there are sure signs I know one is a fever.  A leak CAN go undetected for months I've been them show up to 3 months, just KNOW your body and be vigilant if you THINK you have one.  

In my years I have NOT seen or heard report of anyone dying from a leak.  Life is MISERABLE especially waiting for it to close especially if they have to let it close on it's on.  But again no deaths.

Any questions this page is a WEALTH of knowledge and very welcoming!!

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

moonglo82
on 2/21/12 2:04 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I don't know you, and I don't know why you think the people on this board would be happy to see you suffer... but I can't imagine anyone being so cold-hearted that they would find joy in seeing anyone endure the kind of pain you are talking about. From what I have read, this is anything but pleasant, and I hope you are able to get this resolved quickly. Best wishes!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

tripmom02
on 2/21/12 3:40 am - NJ
 Oh Jean, I am so sorry you are going though this. I think you know my story from what I shared on the band board, but I had both of these things, and had a complete resolution to both when my band came out, pretty much within a month all my issues, except for some of the dysmotility issues that I still have and probably will always have, where completely gone. 

Because of my scar tissue and damage my doctor wanted me to wait at least six weeks and I waited 8 weeks before my revision. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Jean M.
on 2/21/12 4:12 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I'm so glad to hear you're doing OK now. And by the way, I love your avatar. But my own dogs might say, "What do you mean, she's not a dog?"

tripmom02
on 2/21/12 4:15 am - NJ
Hee hee, this is my favorite, my Molly either thinks she is human or that we are dogs, but I am sure she does not know there is any diffrence between us LOL

I'm adopted??? You mean you're NOT my real mom??

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views