Scheduling question - would really appreciate advice

erikalea1970
on 2/25/12 7:59 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
I am a teacher, and had this lovely concept of getting my VSG right after school lets out, giving me 1)  a week and a half to chill at home before going to the beach (2 hours away) with my extended family, where I could continue to relax and recoup, and 2) plenty of time to totally recover and still have some summer left to enjoy.

Well, I wondered if this was a realistic dream, and sure enough, my surgeon will be at a medical conference the week I had "perfectly" selected.  The scheduling nurse was wonderful and looked through the calendar to discuss multiple options, which now are:

1) Get the VSG 7 days before the end of the school year, meaning time taken off (which I have, but not with tons to spare...although I get a new batch of leave in September.)  This would also mean missing 6th grade graduation, which I usually help coordinate music for.  I work in a supportive community, but I am concerned how it will look when people realize later why I took that time off. This option would also mean I'd have 3 weeks of recovery before the beach trip, and then 7 more weeks after the trip to focus on reframing my eating, working in exercise, and hopefully take some daytrips with the kids and one big drive to Florida to visit my mom.  My older son is 14 - not sure how many more summers he's going to want to hang with me.

2) Have surgery 2 days before the beach trip (I've pretty much already nixed that one.)  The nurse said it could be possible, but I'd be miserable on vacation (which was scheduled by other family members...I wanted August!)

3) Wait until the middle of July.  No time off work needed, but will spend much of the summer recovering.  Might be able to drive the kids to Florida to see my mom right before the end of the summer, but their dad has them the last week of August, so I'm not sure.

So those are the options.  It probably seems obvious that I'm favoring having the surgery earlier, but I guess I'm worried that I'm over-exaggerating how little time I'll have to do things with the kids if I wait (I'd still have as much as 7 weeks total) to justify taking the time off work.  I wouldn't lose my job or anything, I just might disappoint some people, which I do take seriously.

Thoughts?  And thanks in advance - my boyfriend is being supportive, but he just has no idea what to suggest on this one, and no one else knows I'm having this surgery, so I don't have anyone else here to talk to.

"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

princessleah613
on 2/25/12 8:48 am - PA
VSG on 01/19/12
 I am a teacher too, and I totally get what you are going through!  I originally planned to have my surgery in October since I have two weeks off for a Jewish holiday then, but my teaching assistant had her baby a month early and I felt guilty leaving when there would be 2 subs in the class. So I pushed it off until January, which was the latest I could since otherwise I would have to reapply for insurance. I had two weeks off then for midwinter break, and I went back to work 10 days after surgery. I was tired at the end of the day, but slowly got my strength back. 

As far as your options, I would do  it before school is over.  Especially if you have the days to do it.  As a teacher I get putting others before yourself, but this is something you need to do for yourself and your family. You will be a better teacher coming back to school in the Fall feeling rested and completely recovered.  You may not enjoy the beach trip as much, but at least you will get to rest.  And I think it's more important for you to take that family trip, rather than help with graduation which believe it or not, someone else can do!!!!!

Totally feeling you!!!

Leah

twelvegates
on 2/25/12 8:56 am
VSG on 02/13/12
I'm also voting for "1".

I'll bet you've done so much for so long that your supportive community will only be happier when they realize what you've done to make yourself healthier, more active and more able to give of yourself as a teacher.

Age: 54  HT: 5'9"  Starting wt: 304  Surgery wt: 282 Current wt: 203 Goal wt: 150 
2 Wk Preop: -22 Mo 1: -17 Mo 2: -11 Mo 3: -11 Mo 4: -12
Mo 5: -7 Mo 6: -5 Mo 7: -7
Mo 8: -4 Mo 9: -5 Mo 10: -0 Mo 11: -0 Mo 12: in progress

VeeBee
on 2/25/12 8:58 am - OH
VSG on 01/23/12
Isn't life complicated?! :)   I would choose option #1 for several reasons, including the big one of being able to drive to Florida to see your mom.  I would give anything to be able to see my mom again.  I wouldn't worry about coworkers finding out later why you took the time off. You have the time coming...doesn't matter if you are using it for plastic surgery, heart surgery or weight loss surgery.  I go back to work Monday after five weeks off from the medical field and it wasn't until this past week that I really felt like myself.  Although I felt a bit guilty for taking that long off, I decided for once I was going to take care of myself. I have dedicated myself to my job for over 20 years and this was MY time!
sunnymicki
on 2/25/12 9:26 am
 "I work in a supportive community, but I am concerned how it will look when people realize later why I took that time off."

There is an underlying emotion in this sentence (and the one about disapointing people) that I think is worth looking at a little harder. 

Anyone who is disapointed in you for putting your health in front of your work responsibilities has their priorities mixed up.  Forget any of the family time thoughts - I would not wait any longer than absolutely necessary to have the surgery, as it will have a dramatic impact on your health very quickly. 

You have nothing to feel bad about or ashamed about for taking time off work to do this.  Aside from that - you will be giving your co-workers plenty of time to plan for your absence and help someone gear up to fill in for you at the 6th grade graduation.

Honestly - missing 6th grade graduation is not a good reason to postpone your surgery, IMHO.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Linda B.
on 2/25/12 10:10 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
I also work at a school, I'm not a teacher, technicallly (have the credential but not the position, yet). The school has a year round schedule and my surgery could fall when we are at our busiest, extra summer school kids. However, I've decided when I can get it scheduled, I'm going for it. So, I also vote for option #1. No, I don't think it is selfish either, why put it off if there is no reason to. I do understand not wanting to disapoint your coworkers, or the kids, but since life isn't perfect, you need to take the date that works best for your family. Just my 2 cents.
SouthernmostStar
on 2/25/12 10:48 am
VSG on 01/25/12
Clearly you're a dedicated teacher.  I think it's perfectly fine for you to do your surgery a few days before school is out this year.  Your co-workers should, and probably will, be supportive of you doing this important step for your future good health. 

This way you'll have all of the time you need to recover and also enjoy time with your kids and mother.

Go for it!

Good luck,
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

erikalea1970
on 2/25/12 11:22 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
Thank you so much for these very thoughtful answers.  Not only do they reaffirm what I would prefer to do, you all reminded me that this surgery is not some self-centered whim.  I thought I got that, but as soon as I actually had to (*gasp*) impact other people's well-being, I started thinking I was being selfish. Thank you for putting things back into perspective.

"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views