600 - 800 calories, really?

Stronger1
on 4/2/12 2:23 am - Charlotte, NC
I'm glad somebody else said this...I struggle to stay under 800 calories a day also!!  I am 4 months out and yes I am losing a little slower (but I think that may also be due to my PCOS), but I can no longer stomach tiny servings of cottage cheese and greek yogurt...I need real food now.  I do watch carbs though and try to exercise at least 3 times a week, but I think I'm going to add at least 1 more day of exercise. 

hrford
on 4/1/12 10:43 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 I dont' think I could hit 1200 calories right now if my life depended on it.  Maybe if I ate full fat ice cream but the thought of something that sweet makes me retch.  I will say yesterday I only had 350 calories and I felt really drained and shaky, I do better when I'm in the 500 range.  But I'm one of the people who has no hunger and I can only tell it's time to eat because of how I feel.  So at 2 weeks out 800 calories seems like a crap load of calories, the most I've gotten in a day so far is 600 and that was because I had 3 protein shakes.  Really I jus****ch my protein and carbs, keep carbs below 60 and protein above 60 and don't worry about calories.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

kam0520
on 4/2/12 2:15 am - AL
This is the part of this site I don't like.  People here make you think you are doing it "wrong" because you don't follow what works for them.  

I asked the doctor about 500 to 800 calories and low carb and they absolutely don't want us counting calories.  They said to eat protein first, it keeps you full longer, and to eat until you get to the full sensation and stop.  

I personally try to keep at or below 1000 calories.  I am only 2 months out too, but have lost 85lbs, so I must be doing ok. 

I couldn't live on 500 calories, even if I ate nothing but lean meat.  I have to eat closer to 1000, I do get the hunger, nausea, starving feeling...myhusband who was sleeve the same day, does not.  He gets busy during the day and forgets to eat.  He stays closer to 800 a day.  It really just depends on you.  I do try and limit my carbs to 40 to 50 because you really do lose more weight when you limit your carbs. 
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
hrford
on 4/2/12 2:31 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I didn't see anyone say that.  matter of fact more than one person said they ate more, especially if they exercise a lot.  I read most people saying it's much easier to hit those numbers than you'd think post-op.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

USAF Wife
on 4/2/12 2:35 am
For me, my body, my food issues, I just could not eat what I wanted in smaller portions and A) get to goal quickly (which was my priority, I was not willing to lose slowly, deal with stalls, and all that just to be able to eat a few more calories/carbs. B) I really had little to NO room for anything other than protein so it was not difficult to stay within the 600-800 calorie guideline with less than 40gr of carbs. I also never ate until full. I measured my portions, ate that portion and was done. This kept me from overfilling my stomach, and kept me within my calorie intake goal for each day. It's just what worked for me. Other people lose eating more, eating what they want, snacking, that's their deal and not mine. I have my own unique food issues that I have to control. I found out the further out we get, the more we can eat, the more mindless food habits creep back in, the easier it is to justify a 'snack' here and there. It's all great if you have amazing willpower, if you are able to do it without restriction, but I took that losing stage time to really become self-aware of my own behaviors that contributed to my obesity.

Me NOT counting calories, carbs, my general intake helped me have zero accountability for my choices. I never once felt deprived during my losing stage. I ate 4 solid meals a day, no snacks, no b.s.'ing through my losing stage. I figured that I would work on my food behaviors/habits, lose my excess weight and then worry about maintenance when I got there.

I maintained on 1200-1600 calories a day with zero formal exercise, I am active, but I don't hit the gym.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

SoSoHappy
on 4/2/12 4:59 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
Thank you all for the input.  I am getting sleeved on Friday and want to make sure I have the information I need to be successful.  The comments about having a hard time even getting in 600-800 calories are just as encouraging as those that say they are losing with 1000 calories.  I so appreciate all the input.  I am so excited for this journey.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views