600 - 800 calories, really?

smrt1997
on 4/1/12 10:37 am
 The reason it is feasible to stay between 600-800 is because your primary focus on food is high protein. so if you are eating mostly fish, chicken, beef, etc they are typicall lower in calories and high in protein. you stay fuller longer on smaller amounts of food. there are some meals where the only thing i eat is fish or meat and sometimes i do the same for snacks. Every doctor is different and i try to take what i learn here and what my dr tells me and what works for me and put it all together. if it were up to my dr's office, I wouldn't count calories or carbs I would just make sure to get in 60-80 grams of protein per day. but I know i need to keep my carbs in check as they are easy to cause cravings for bad food. More than likely, you will figure it out within the end of the first month and into the second. Good luck!!

VSG 12-7-11                        

sunnymicki
on 4/1/12 10:39 am
My surgeon doesn't give an exact calorie range - but basically if you follow the guidelines for eating that he gives, you end up with very few calories.  It is easy to stay under 800/day.  In fact, I could go all day without eating and not really notice.  Thats what the sleeve and being in ketosis have done for me (ie, very stable blood sugars and little to no hunger feeling).  The only time I get cravings for food is if I've been indulging in refined carbs.

I had my resting metabolism tested last month, using a very accurate method.  It told me that I would need to eat 1600 calories/day to maintain my current weight.  That is actually pretty low for someone with my lean mass, but still ok for me. 

Doing a brisk 30 minute walk burns about 200 calories (I also had my VO2 max tested, so by wearing a heart rate monitor I know my exact calorie burn).  That means I burn 1800 calories for the whole day.  If I eat 800 calories, I've created a 1000 calorie deficit.  If I do that every day, I have a 7000 calorie deficit for the week - or 2 lbs of weight loss per week.

When I was 85 or so lbs heavier, I was probably burning alot more calories just from carrying that extra weight.  Now my body doesn't have to work as hard, so my calories needs are less.  I'd still lose weight if I upped my food intake a bit, but I see no need to do that.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

frisco
on 4/1/12 11:44 am

I used to say follow your surgeons plan......not anymore.... some funky plans going on now.....

Please do your own research.....but my observation is.....

- A high percentage of VSG patients do well on a 600-800 plan, many make goal.

- A high percentage of VSG patients on a 1200cal plan have a much harder time after 6 months and many don't make goal.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jamie_45
on 4/1/12 11:53 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
My Doc's plan also does not count calories or carbs and he now wants me to eat 700-800 calories/day.  I am 3 months out and struggle to make 700/day.  I think you will totally understand after you are sleeved!  That little tummy will only hold so much and if you're putting the right things in... you'll have the positive results.  I still have not even tasted bread, pasta or potatoes of any kind and honestly don't miss them.  I try to stay at 40 net grams of carbs and the carbs I do get are from green veggies and yogurts, etc.  You'll do great and everything you're reading now will all make more sense after!  Best wishes on your journey.

KathyA999
on 4/1/12 12:21 pm
You can eat at the calorie level that works for you, and you don't have to adhere to the 600-800 calorie per day level.  However, most people post-op want to lose their weight as quickly as possible, so that's what they aim for.  And for a very long time you'll struggle to even reach that amount, concentrating on protein.  (If you eat a lot of "empty" carbs, you will easily reach and exceed that calorie level, strangely. For some reason our sleeves will accommodate a lot more of those foods, which is why we call them "sliders" - they slide right thru.)

Years ago there was a liquid weight-loss program run by UCLA, I think, that had people on a medically-supervised 600-calorie diet.  It can be done, and it can be done safely, if you concentrate on protein, some fat, and your vitamins and supplements.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

cece58
on 4/1/12 12:41 pm - CA
 The most weight will be lost in the first year after the VGS so it is important to lose weight fast for best results. After you have reached your goal (depending upon how much you exercise) you can go up to as many as 1500 calories per day and maintain. When you have healed completely and after about 5 or 6 months it's a lot easier to get more calories in which will cause the weight loss to slow down. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

stephintexas
on 4/1/12 1:35 pm
If you drink while you eat, you knock out lots more calories without blinking! Yes,I know from 3 months of experience! If you don't drink while you eat and eat what everyone recommends, you'll be fine on that many calories.

I've noticed when I'm highly stressed or more active, sometimes I need an extra protein shake. If I drink that, it kills the cravings.

And Stay away from Cheezits!!! (just trust me on that, they're the devil)

acbbrown
on 4/1/12 3:39 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Comes down to your priorities - if you're in a hurry to get to your goal weight, 6-800 seems the best range to stick to. With those numbers, you will be burning lots of fat and muscle. 

Some of us have chosen other paths and seem to be losing the weight. After 6 months, I bumped my cals up closer to 1000, and while I can range anywhere from 1000-1600, I chose to exercise and focus on fitness as a measure of my efforts and not just the scale. It might take me longer to get to this magic "goal" weight, but when I get there, I'll have substantially more muscle mass left than some other people. 

Basically in short version - it all depends on your goals and priorities. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

doggz109
on 4/1/12 3:49 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Great philosophy!
happyteacher
on 4/1/12 10:36 pm
 i have to work at keeping calories under 800 daily- I could do 1200 no problem at this point.  I have spent most of the beginning time post op going low carb, and over the last few weeks added carb back in.  Big mistake.  My calories shot up like mad, and there is a clear pattern of grazing that kicked in.  I think tis is why many elect to keep carbs under 40 grams a day,, and why I am reverting back to that.

I think it is true that you will lose weight at 1200 calories a day, but it would obviously be at a much slower weight  For many, the bulk of the weight loss happens in the first 6 months, so it is a time to maximize the loss.  

I think you will find once you are sleeved that 800 calories feels like our old 3000 calories due to the restriction and loss of hunger.  I truly do not feel deprived at the 800 calorie range, although I have to be very diligent about head hunger daily. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views