Do you feel cold after surgery? Also, still trying to keep positive, but it's tough!

Brenda777
on 4/2/12 9:01 am
VSG on 03/19/12
First, today I am 2 weeks out.  

After surgery, I feel cold all the time.  It was never like this before surgery.  If I drink a glass of anything at room temperature, it makes me cold.  My body temperature can drop down to 97.2 degrees just from that.  I have to wear a heavy sweatshirt jacket at home all the time, and use an electric blanket at night.  

There are lots of articles out there on the effects of Ghrelin, appetite, sleep, and body temperature.  I think the surgery has really affected my body temperature, metabolism, and sleep.  I am not sleeping as well as I did before surgery, and it takes me a long time to fall asleep bcos I have to warm up before I fall asleep.  

The other challenge is... I am 2 weeks out, and have not lost a single pound.  I keep wondering what is going on here, and when will my body's metabolism adjust?  I mean, it seems like it has to.

I called my doctor's office, and I have an appointmet on Wednesday afternoon.  We'll see what they say.  

I am happy for all of you who have done so well initially after the surgery.  But, it is hard for me not to be concerned about it.  

Even though I am experiencing these challenges... I know I did the right thing.  I have to believe that.  

Any thoughts?  Thank you.  

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/08/03/0903090106.full.pdf

interesting... bit scary... but, I won't worry about this!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21983104

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

PaulaS
on 4/2/12 9:08 am - TX
I am 1 year out and cold all the time still!    Always try to keep a jacket on or with me.  
Don't worry - you WILL lose - your body was shocked by the surgery and it takes time.   And, there WILL be plateaus - all part of the normal process!
Good luck!   You will be fine!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Ms. Poker Face
on 4/2/12 9:27 am
I am cold ALL THE TIME now.  Before surgery I also tended to be cold, but not like this.  So yes, it's normal.  

As for stalling, that's also normal.  Keep sipping!  Just follow your plan and you'll be fine.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/12 9:30 am
Many of us are very cold after surgery. It's just the way it is. Regular exercise seems to have helped me warm up a bit, too. I don't get nearly as cold in the evenings as I used to now that I'm getting my heart pumping and sweating on a regular basis.

The weight loss will come. No way it can't. Stick to your program and be patient. I'm sure you're frustrated and waiting for those pounds to melt away. Don't worry - they will come off!
moonglo82
on 4/2/12 9:39 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Ever since my anasthaesia wore off Thursday afternoon, I've been much colder. I thought it was because my blood sugar is going down, but I see now that maybe the blood sugar is only one piece of the puzzle.

As far as not seeing results on the scale yet, please don't get too discouraged. I have read other threads here where people have said the same thing, and then a week later (or whatever) they have a huge loss. Not saying yours will happen on a particular day, but it should be starting up soon.

Just remember, as safe as we think the surgery is, it is still major surgery. Our bodies all react differently and heal differently, and yours may just need a little more of an adjusting period. In the meantime, don't give up! If you are following your doctor's instructions, your body will have no choice but to give up the extra weight soon!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

asweetiepye
on 4/2/12 9:43 am
I'm cold always! I guess from the loss of fat. Before had more fat so never really was cold. Fat=good insulator LOL

Andrea- HT- 5' 7" HW-286 SW-265  CW-153.6
Kevin H.
on 4/2/12 9:53 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I still have PLENTY of fat at 334 lbs and I'm cold .. I dont think thats quite the answer but it sounded good LOL  

Kevin H.
on 4/2/12 9:52 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I was 390 lbs with plenty of insulation to keep me warm.  I was never cold.  I would go out in the winter snow with no coat on and be fine.

Now, i'm cold all the time and keep the thermostat up to 74.  I used to keep it at 68.  A friend that had bypass told me that I would be cold all the time.  Somehow, I didnt believe her lol.  It's true though.

Sally D.
on 4/2/12 9:57 am
VSG on 03/14/12
I freezing all the time. I hate it but I"m glad to know that this is so called normal. As for weight I guess I understand your frustration. I lost 10 pounds the first week and then four and have'nt lost since. I keeping the faith because everyone said it will happen. Hang in there

1london
on 4/2/12 10:13 am

First of all- please do not worry about losing...you will, I know it can be frustrating during the challenging first weeks of just liquids to not see the scale move, but believe me it will and you will soon love your sleeve.
Your sleep and emotions will all balance out in time, everything is adjusting and you will soon be back to feeling normal.
As far as being cold, I used to always be hot and sweaty and it may sound unusual...but I enjoy being cold.  I can put on long sleeve shirt or a cute jacket and feel snugly, instead of hot and miserable.  So maybe I am one of the rare cases who after surgery was very happy they were cooler than before being sleeved. :)
Best wishes to you and hang in there...your on your way! :)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views