wl during 2 wk pre-op diet?

Shellbell73
on 4/8/12 2:09 am - MO
VSG on 04/09/12
I am curious how much did you lose during your pre-op diet?  My VSG surgery is tomorrow and I have only lost about 6 or 7 lbs. My pre-op diet consists of 4 protien shakes a day plus I'm allowed 2 pieces/servings of fruit a day and can drink any sugar free drink and stuff like sugar free jello or popsicles.    I'm worried that if I'm losing so little now starving myself before surgery. What will happen after surgery? Will I have done this for nothing?  Can't lose weight or eat?  Help Me Please!!!! Maybe I'm just in panic mode but I feel I that I should have lost more.

Thicklin
on 4/8/12 2:11 am - TN
VSG on 04/23/12
Sorry I can't answer your question for you, but I truely want to wish you the best and a speedy recovery:)
Ms. Poker Face
on 4/8/12 2:16 am
Don't panic!  Your feelings of fear are normal.  Those 6-7 pounds are a good loss, so don't discount them!!

We always want to lose more, lose faster, be skinnier, be healthier, more more more.  But life has a way of not always giving us what we want.  The weight loss will come in time.  You'll gain weight in the hospital from the fluids.  You're going to stall in the weight loss process.  But all will be well.  

Focus on all the other aspects besides the weight loss, too.  Measurements, your blood work, how you feel, the new clothes you'll be fitting into.  I know these are forward-looking things and not the here & now, but they are SO important in this process.

I also highly recommend you take a before picture and your before measurements today if you haven't already.  I did this... plus I take a pic and measurements once a month.  So even when my loss is small, I've got a bunch of other things reminding me of how far I've come!!

Take a deep breath.  You'll be ok!!  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

theshrinkingmimi
on 4/8/12 2:21 am
Please relax and go into surgery in good spirits.  I really mean that.  Pray, meditate, do whatever you have to do.

Lightweights (which is what people with your starting weight are called- does not diminish your need for the surgery) seem to reach their goals. You may not have the huge weekly losses of much bigger people, but the losses add up.

The nature of your question is going to set you up for disappointment because you will compare yourself to others who lost more. 

Yes, I lost a lot more. But let me explain why you should not compare yourself to my weight loss. I was almost 400 pounds. Most people *****spond to you will be quite a bit heavier than your 200 pounds.  Second of all, I had just traveled and was retaining about 10 extra pounds of water. I always returned from a trip much heavier whenever I traveled by plane. I could feel my feet swell within 30 minutes of take-off.  I lost half of my pre-op weight from my 2-week liquid diet in the first 3 days- that clearly was mostly, if not all, water.  You may not have been retaining a lot of water.

Good luck. I wish you a speedy recovery and peace of mind.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
rarejem
on 4/8/12 2:24 am - WA
VSG on 04/09/12
First - Breath and good luck tomorrow. I'm being sleeved tomorrow too.

My doctor puts his patients on a one month pre-op diet to shrink the liver. Max carbs are 30 grams and he expects a 5% weight loss form first consult to surgery. Thankfully, by the time I went into my pre-op appointment I had made it. Now with the 2 day pre-op cleanse, I have surpassed it by about 5lbs. I try not to focus on the scale. Sometimes it's hard not to do so.

I don't know what all will happen after tomorrow, but I do know this, I need to maintain my changed behaviors.  Otherwise, this new tool is not going to work for me. I also know that there is great support here at OH,

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

AnnMarie
on 4/8/12 2:39 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Those are some great posts! My bmi started at 55......quite a bit higher than yours and now I am still at 50ish! so if we put that in perspective..

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

PoohHag
on 4/8/12 3:30 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

Looking at your ticker, I see you only weigh 200 lbs.  I'm thinking 6-7 pounds is good at that size.  Don't compare yourself to those starting out at 300 or higher.  At 3 pounds a week, you'll be down to goal weight in less than half a year!  

Jillville
on 4/8/12 7:02 am - Surrey, Canada
VSG on 04/16/12
I am on day 8 of my two-week pre-op liquid diet and I was thinking the exact same thing...is this it?!  I'm starving, I'm so tired, and for what?!   Reading this thread has been very helpful...just getting some perspective and knowing you're not alone and/or crazy!! :) 

I want to wish you the best of luck even though I know 'luck' has nothing to do with it...how about - I wish you well and much success!!  I hope to hear much more about your experiences and your journey since we're having the same surgery at almost the same time...I suspect in just a few short months you'll be able to say, "What was I worried about?!"  :)

Take care,
Jillian.

Most Active