thinking about getting the sleeve

Erika J.
on 4/16/12 6:05 am
I have been fighting my insurance company for a long time now. Finally got everything done the proper way (dietician, supervised died, etc) and just recently heard about the sleeve.  I was all about the lap-band, but now I'm hearing how good the sleeve is. Can anybody share their thoughts?
Mom4Jazz
on 4/16/12 6:13 am, edited 4/16/12 6:13 am
First, I hate to be a band-basher so I will simply suggest you go to the lap-band forum and the revision weightloss surgery forum and read the serious and health/life threatening experiences many people have with their band. It's easy to believe it won't happen to you, but the odds are not that great.

As for the sleeve, I love my sleeve. It gives restriction but it's very uncomplicated once you get healed up. And there's no long-term risk of the equipment inside you failing because it's just your normal plumbing reduced in size.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Elaine2
on 4/16/12 6:40 am - Atlanta, GA
No hijack intended but---
Mom4Jazz ---could you PM me? Need to ask you a question.  Thanks.

OP---
I hope you get allot of response from folks here who have had band to sleeve revisions.
The sleeve restriction will work whether your starting at a lighter weight or SMO. It takes focus and lifesyle change but is doable at any size.

Lots of research! Good luck on your journey.

bigtigger1010
on 4/16/12 6:56 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
i too was for the band a few yrs ago, but then found the sleeve and also have friends and family who have had poor outcomes with banding... so I am sooo greatfull my  insurance didn't cover the band a few yrs ago and my husbands insurance covers the sleeve now!!!

I'm 11 days out and down 17 lbs (32 with preop!)  and LOVE my sleeve... the first few days were ruff but compared to my results so far MORE THAN MORE THAN worth it!!!

Good luck on ur journey, whatever u decide!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

rhearob
on 4/16/12 7:08 am - TN
 When I started researching WLS I had an emotional attachment to the band.  It seemed easier, reversible, all that jazz.  As I started talking to people who had the band, I was swayed away from it.  I needed to lose ALOT of weight (I still have 60 lbs to go).  I was so sick, I needed it off quickly.  Once I started looking into the performance of the band, I realized it just wasn't going to get me where I needed to be as quickly as I needed.  There was a lot of maintenance that was going to be required, alot of possible revisions and complications.  

here are some on the band who have tremendous success.  Alot of it depends on the person.  I know some doctors are reluctant to reccomend one procedure over another, but ask around in support groups and ask other medical professionals you may know (nurses, NUt's etc).

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

melly37
on 4/16/12 7:12 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I just got my band removed and revised to the sleeve two weeks ago.   Since I am still not off of liquids, I can't say what the differences are going to be.  What I CAN say, is NO to the band.  Ultimately, it is your decsion, but I don't reccomend it to anyone. 

There are some bandsters that are successful and have maintained weightloss for several years, however, there are plenty of us that have huge problems with the band.

The bad sides of the band, at least as they were for me:

* Inconsistant restriction....my band would tighten up for all sorts of silly reasons, and sometimes for no reason at all

* Hard to find the "sweet spot", where your hunger is diminished (when the band interacts withthe vagus nerve) or to where you can still eat a healthy meal, such as moist meat and small serving of vegetables.  A large number of people report NOT finding that sweet spot.  Their band is either too loose, where they can eat large portions and feel hungry often, or their band is too tight, causing the person to not be able to keep much down.  Some get DOZENS of fills and unfills before they just plain give up

*  complications brought on by wrong placement at surgery, or by the wrong eating habits.  I had a horrible first surgeon, and less than two years out, my band slipped, causing some serious issues.  I had to have surgery to get the band put back in it's proper place. 

I have heard from many people that revised from the band to the sleeve, that the sleeve is way better.  These people tell me that the sleeve is the tool we were promised with the band.  So, I am so excited and very glad that I was able to revise to the sleeve.  I will know within a few short weeks, after being released to regular foods again, just how wonderful this tool is. 

Good luck in your search!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views