firming creams?

sarahr0
on 4/19/12 11:18 am
VSG on 05/16/12
 has anyone tried good firming creams during their weight loss? my surgery will be in may.. I'm getting so excited for it!

Sarah . 28yr . 5'0 . Female . Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania 
SW: 244.1 Surgery day weight:(5-16-12) 231.3   CW: 189.2   GW: 120lbs

saraw79
on 4/19/12 1:01 pm - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
I was wondering about this also...
Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

INgirl
on 4/19/12 1:13 pm
Save your money :)

Really, they just don't work.. ever notice they say reduces the appearance or somesuch? 

Years ago, I tried many, many if them- from Nivea Firming to Strivectin.. ha, nothing. Damaged skin is damaged.. it will not "firm up" from anything topical. Use some nice creams to hydrate your skin, it will look better, and of those- the hands down best, though it doesn't smell so wonderful as some of the fancy ones.. plain old Amlactin. It's got lactic acid in there, any bit of dryness you have, any ingrowns on your shins.. will be gone in a week or two if it's used everyday. 
Judith K.
on 4/19/12 2:05 pm
VSG on 05/15/10 with
Very excited for your May surgery date!  I'll be 2 years out 05-15-12.

For the 1st year I used Arbonne's neck cream -- can't remember the name; just google it.  A little pricey but well worth it.  I really think it helped quite a bit.  I needed a tummy tuck and brachioplasty but the neck is quite good for a 63-year old woman.

You have youth on your side for skin elasticity so why not help all you can by using a quality neck cream?  Once I ran out I've been using other creams but I think the Arbonne was better and it smells divine so I'm going to order more soon.
HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

sleeved2bfree
on 4/19/12 5:25 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 Ive been using Bio-oil on my stomach and I think it is helping. I think it is even  helping the stretch marks I had from pregnancy 14 years ago. Twice a day I oil it up, and I always wear supportive undergarments. On my arms I have been trying different firming creams, haven't found one yet that I think would do the trick. Wishing there was some kind of supportive garment for them. I think the combo-oil it up and hold it tight-does the best. 
Rosemary1031
on 4/20/12 12:16 am, edited 4/20/12 12:18 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
Ah, the sordid topic of elasticity. I'm afraid it's not so simple as just naming products. Trust me on this, I may be an expert. I'm a cosmetologist, skin aficionada, and product junkie. I've lost over 100 lbs on my own before my surgery, so I have experienced sag.

Here are other things I've learned:
Though some may say that skin firming creams don't help, they actually do so you are wise to look into them now. But I firmly (pun intended) do not believe that you need to spend lots of cash for effectiveness. I stuck to Avon's Dramatic Firming cream, it averages $5-6 a bottle, and it has definitely shown results. I only use it on my face and neck, but that area is very important! I recommend a youtube series called "Face Yoga" if you are concerned with your chin/neck area. One exercise in particular, the neck stretch, REALLY made a difference for me, as I was starting to get a turkey neck after the first month of weight loss.

Another thing- we both have age (youth) on our side. After periods of weight loss, your skin takes a bit longer to become taut to your smaller frame, but it does. I was feeling really saggy last month, lol, but this month I notice I'm a little firmer. Skin is this amazing and remember it's a living thriving organ, the largest organ of your body.

Keep it hydrated. A few over-the-counter brands make body firming lotions - start there. Keep your skin moisturized, make it a habbit. Lotion up after showers and as needed. I've never used so much lotion in my life but I think this is attributing to that periodic tautness after weightloss.

Vitamins. Keep up with all your doctor-recommended vitamins. Additionally, there is a supplement called Biotin. It's for hair/nails/skin and wouldnt hurt your regular vitamin ****tail. Also, the One-A-Day brand makes a Women's Skin Support multivitamin. I've been taking it and I've received compliments on my skin and face complexion. Every little bit helps!

*Edit*
And lastly but most importantly....WATER! Drink your 64oz even if you find yourself pushing it in. Of course, this will be difficult to do the first month after surgery, but it's something you slowly work up to. Hydration inside and out. :)

Good luck in your upcoming surgery

R

BriarRose
on 4/20/12 1:23 am
Guess it depends on who, and your age, and skin. For me, at 56 years old, a year of using a skin "firming" cream made no result. I use a good moisturizer all over, and drink alot of fluids. Nothing is going to firm up deflated inches/feet of skin that the fat has shrunk out of.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views