So this is what I'm gonna do...give me your thoughts...

Stronger1
on 4/25/12 5:38 am - Charlotte, NC
My weight loss is crawling...I'd be content with 1-2 pounds a week...not happening.  I was losing at a better rate when I was just low carbing it before surgery.  How does one not lose weight when you are eating less calories than it even takes to run your body? I know many people disagree with the idea of "starvation mode"...but I'm thinking there's something to it.  The only time I see loss that reflects the effort I'm putting into this is when I eat more calories, like between 900-1000.  So I'm going to continue to track my food, keep my carbs below 40, but stop worrying about keeping my calorie intake for the next week and see what happens. 

Also, I'm going to have to give up my beloved Quest bars I believe...they may be causing me to stall as I've noticed since I started them my weight loss has slowed.  You would think with 17 grams of fiber it would increase.  However, I have PCOS and insulin resistance, so this may be the culprit.

Any thoughts?

Otterwench
on 4/25/12 5:53 am - Camano Island, WA
I track daily, keep sugars below 15 gm/day, and carbs below 20/day.  I shoot for 90-100 gm of protein and make it most of the time.  Right now I'm pretty much only eating protein.  No fruits, no veggies.  I'm losing about 7-10 pounds a month, which is fairly slow, but it's been fairly steady.  Calories are always below 800/day.  My doc would prefer if I burned more calories each day with exercise than I take in.  So far I'm not doing that consistently, but I do try to walk every day.  As the weather gets better in the spring/summer, I'm sure my exercise will also increase!  A good balance between diet and exercise is the key to getting and keeping it off!

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff.  Sometimes it is just slow which can get very frustrating, but it will be so worth the effort in the long run!  Keep up the good work!  

~Sandi 

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

Stronger1
on 4/25/12 6:01 am - Charlotte, NC
Sounds like that's working for you Sandi!! Keep up the good work.  For me, I need to have veggies in my life.  Eating my veggies is the one good habit I've always had and I refuse to believe that veggies are bad for weight loss or my body.  Fruits...I do stay away from right now.  I try to get at least 1 serving per day right now.  Hopefully in maintenance I can shoot for more. 

It is a major effort for me to keep my carbs (in general, not just net) below 40, much less 20.  I try, and fail...

TNERNURSE
on 4/25/12 11:23 am

I agree with you- have some veggies and fruit! Some act like any carb is bad...yes if all you eat is carbs and there is good carbs and bad carbs. I believe we need a balance. My nut. encourages whole grains, veg, & fruit after protein is in and still stay within our calorie, protein & carb ranges. Since I am a newbie, time will tell if I will need to adjust things. I am happy to not have cavings for the concentrated sweets now- I never met a little Debbie cake I didn't like. I even drove 30 min. to school today with a dozen donuts for the class and it didn't even bother me. ( only donuts because it was a bet!) - also o.k. to give up bread which I love - could make myself sick on Olive Garden bread sticks but I also enjoy whole grains. Believe we must have some fiber in our diet and you don't get that with meat and cheese. It looks like you are doing great!

Stronger1
on 4/25/12 12:02 pm - Charlotte, NC

Good job resisting the temptation!!  Personally, I could eat an entire loaf of Carrbbas bread/herb/olive oil...and in fact, did the night before I started my liquid diet, LOL.  I just avoid restaurants with my favorite bread/rolls completely right now...I'm not strong enough to say no!!

Cindy22706
on 4/25/12 5:54 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I am not too far out, but I have stopped losing as well, and whenever I up my calories to over 1000 I lose. My mom is thinking the starvation mode thing is right and I am starting to as well. My NUT tells me not to actually track calories or anything, I do but I dont stay in a range, but I think I am going to increase them. I have been in a 'stall' for over three weeks now and I am only 3 months out, I thought this phase is when you lose the most...right? I am right there with you, frustrated. I am seeing my NUT next week to see what she has to say.

Rosemary1031
on 4/25/12 6:50 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
How is your water intake? I have effortless weight loss on weeks that I really push tha****er in. And I mean PUSH! I don't know how some folks do up to 100oz of water. Just recently was I able to do 60-70oz, but yes when I do I have lots more weight loss. I'm averaging 4 lbs a week, pushing tha****er!

Marabell
on 4/25/12 8:06 am
VSG on 06/07/12
hijack...sorta

rosemary....you are doing great!!!! nice work...keep it up...you are motivating me seeing your results

Rosemary1031
on 4/25/12 8:58 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
Thanks Marabell!
I'm glad you're motivated. It's going to be amazing for you, as well. :)
tall_not_venti
on 4/25/12 8:54 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Amen. I was stalling, too, and do really think that my metabolism was not happy. Upped calories to 800-1000, shooting for 100 protein, and dipped 5 pounds in 6 days. And, pmsing, too. Going to keep at this, I think yet will make maintaining easier, even if it takes me an extra month or two to get where I am going.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views