Fallen off the "wagon"...

Allison B.
on 5/3/12 1:59 am - Canaan, ME
VSG on 01/09/12
 For some reason I have been completely off plan lately and it's killing me.  I have slacked off on going to the gym (3 weeks since I have even stepped foot in the gym) and not even working out at home.  My eating habits have been atrocious.  I have been keeping a food log and all that is doing is making me feel worse about the choices I am making and making me eat more carbs.  My protein goal hasn't even been close to being met.  I think my problem is that I want the salt & vinegar chips and knowing that I can handle them "justifies" it in my mind that I can have some.  Then, when I have "some", I end up having them "all".  

I am absolutely frustrated that I am wearing approximately the same size top that I have always worn but my bottom half has shrunk about 4-6 sizes.  I am also frustrated that I haven't budged a pant size in about 6 weeks.  These 16's are too big but 14's are way too small.  I can shimmy into them and they are ok in the waist but I end up with super muffin top and camel toe (TMI, I know...) because of the excess skin in my middle.  My little sister and I are now the same pant size and a lot of my clothes have been "disappearing" into her drawers because A) she "borrows" them or B) my mom does laundry and thinks they are hers.  So, the fact that I want to get comfortably into that size 14 for my own satisfaction and for the fact that I don't want anymore clothing mix-ups, I want to get back on the wagon.  Any help and/or suggestions and/or words of encouragement would greatly help!!  
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 2:16 am
This is a repost of an earlier post I did to help motivate someone else to get back on track.  I hope it helps.  This is what I would tell myself if I were in your shoes this morning.  Good luck to you and I am pulling for you.

OK, take a deep breath, hold my hand, and here we go.....

First, we have all been there over and over and over again.  This is not the last time you are going to find yourself here therefore how we learn to deal with this really determines our success or failure long term.  No pressure right.  Second, this can be dealt with.  Really, it is going to be alright in the end.  I promise.  Take another deep breath.  OK, back to basics.
 NUMBER ONE RULE: MAKE A PLAN

I am not kidding, stop reading right now, and get a paper and pencil or open another screen or whatever you need to do to take notes.  You are going to make a plan, just for you, and you are going to stick with it until....

Your plan is going to include the number or calories you are going to eat everyday, the protein count, the carb count, the water amount.  You are going to write down just how you are planning to keep yourself accountable, is it going to be written in a brand new shiny notebook, a website, some other way.  Make a choice right now.  Ask yourself about the number of times you are going to eat every day.  Are you going to eat three times a day and no snacks?  Or are you going to allow yourself two snacks and three meals?  How many meals and when will you eat them?  Are you going to have a schedule or are you using some other way to plan them out?  How are you going to measure your food?  Are you using small bowls that only hold about one cup to eat from? Are you using a scale, a measuring cup or what?  Which threads are you going to be accountable on?  The maintenance weight one from Cindy? or Ms. Shell's or what?  I want details.  How are you going to get your water in?  Do you use a particular bottle that you know the measurement of and you need a particular number of them a day to meet your goal?  Do you see where I am going here.  I WANT A DETAILED PLAN in writing and with accountability.  Now drop and give me twenty.  Just kidding there.  :)     

This is how you are going to win this battle.  You are going to plan to win it, organize your life around winning it, and report back about how well you are winning it.  You will make corrections as needed until you get to goal.  We are going to cheer you on the whole way home.  This is how you will win this time and the next time and the time after that.  This is for life.  Stay connected, never forget where you started and don't ever get ****y that you "got" this.  I will be there for you and you will need to be there for me when I need it.  Together we are strong.  I believe in you, make it happen.
Chanciekd
on 5/3/12 2:32 am - MS
VSG on 01/23/12
This is a great post!  I will keep it for myself also.   Thank you so much!
AllaP
on 5/3/12 4:27 am - Vaughan, Canada
 Elina, you're the best.

Alla.

Mermaid7
on 5/3/12 4:47 am
Elina,
You were talking to me there.  The best pep talk aka: rightous common sense for the sleeved soul I've ever read.  I clicked onto "Fallen..." because that's how I feel lately.  Glad I did and glad I read your post response.  Thought I had a plan, but I see now that it wasn't thorough enough.
Thanks.

Happy966
on 5/3/12 5:31 am

Thank you, Elina.  I have to be willing to admit when certain foods are getting the better of me.  I used to think that giving up sugar was all.  But as time goes on, I routine find other foods that give me problems.  "****y" me thinks I can handle them, but I have to be willing to put down what I can't control (at least for today).  Hugs!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Chenoa
on 5/3/12 6:39 am - Kingston, PA
VSG on 05/07/12
ELINA,

Thank you I have bookmarked this for myself. I am nervous about having my sleeve on monday but I know deep down it is what I want and what I need. Thank you for the great advice.

Chenoa

HW 373 PreOp 338 Day of Surgery 321 1st 34lbs 287 2nd 8lbs 278 3rd 13lbs 265
4th 7lbs 258 5th 10lbs 248
6th 4lbs 244 7th 2lbs 242 8th 0lbs 242 9th 0 242

gmb87
on 5/3/12 2:16 am - East Aurora, NY
VSG on 01/10/12
Alison,

Do you have depresion issues or any obsessive compulsive behavior? Sorry had to ask. That aside it sounds like your mind is working against you. You know what you need to do to be successful as we all do, but like the Lays potato chip add says "nobody can eat just one". Your VSG isn't a magical cloak that will shield you from all the evils of the world and help you make all the right cjoices, you have to do that to make the right choices and to get to where you need to be. Every one slips, I have and I disapoint myself, but the tool is still and always will be inside of you. It can only be controlled thru you, but will always help you if you choose to utilize it.

So get your head on straight and let the sleeve be your friend.

Read my quote on my weight tickers, a lot of what we do is a mind game. Good luck and god bless. Ever need someone to talk to let me know.
Remember  it's bariactric surgery, not brain surgery! You need to get your head in the game!!!!                      
Chanciekd
on 5/3/12 2:30 am - MS
VSG on 01/23/12
I got off track for about a week or 2.  When I say off track, I mean I wasn't keeping a log of everything I put in my mouth.  I also noticed that the scales were not moving at all.
Now I am back to writing everything down, getting in my protein and cutting back on the carbs.  Also, now I am measuring out my water in advance to make sure I drink it all.
A few times when I was in a pinch for something to eat, I ate Gerber chicken sticks.  One jar is 10gms protein and 110 calories, 1 carb and 7 gm fat.  That works for me instead of chips.  I am not much on sweet things like protein bars.  One jar cost about $1.50.  I figure that I could eat that instead of chips or crackers.  Also, I am in my car a lot.  If I get hungry, those little sticks are easy to take along and eat in the car.  It also beats pulling in for fast food chicken strips or nuggets.  By the way, I am a little more that 3 months out and the chicken sticks seem to go down good.  From what I've read from other VSGrs, water and plenty protein are the key to success.  And low carbs.
Good luck to you!
Allison B.
on 5/3/12 3:03 am - Canaan, ME
VSG on 01/09/12
 Good to know about those chicken sticks but I can't get over the fact that they smell like cat food.  Sorry...  LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views