Another body composition question

Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 4:01 am
 So I'm looking to find out what I'm made up of and the percentages so I can better determine my goal weight and have something besides a number on the scale to work towards.

I looked into what is offered here and it seems I can do a DEXA scan (body composition analysis) or a Resting Metabolic Rate assessment. Seems like both would be good??

Thoughts? Comments? Resources??

Thanks in advance!!

VSG on 6/22/11
Kevin H.
on 6/6/12 4:27 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 For a cheaper alternative I bought an Omron Body Composition Monitor / Scale from Amazon and use it at home.  It's not as accurate as the tests your talking about but gives me a general idea and it is less $ and hassle.  Good luck on your testing!

Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 4:29 am
 yeah, I have a Tanita scale but I really want something more accurate ;)

VSG on 6/22/11
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/12 4:37 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Will it cost arms and legs for both?  Either/both would be cool, I would think!

Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 5:03 am
 I just left them a message to find out about cost.

It *seems* like the RMR can be calculated from the DEXA.

Here's what they say about DEXA--

"Body composition scans with DEXA provide precise and accurate data on bone and tissue composition, including bone mineral density (BMD), lean tissue mass, and fat tissue mass. They provide both total body data and regional results (trunk, arms, legs, pelvis, and android / gynoid regions). The measurements are fast and non-invasive. 

We use DEXA scans for body composition because it accurately shows exactly where fat is distributed throughout the body. Lunar DEXA systems directly measure and calculate total fat, lean, and bone tissue, instead of estimating body composition." 

VSG on 6/22/11
michellemj
on 6/6/12 9:50 am
Can I give both? that way I skinny! ;)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Mom4Jazz
on 6/6/12 5:22 am
An RMR assessement will measure your metabolic rate directly but only in that moment in time. It can change based on a lot of factors. However it is very accurate. It won't tell you your body composition.

DEXAs can be quite expensive and the metabolic rate from them has a few challenges: It's estimated based on your composition but doesn't take into account your metabolic rate (two people of the same weight and body fat percentage don't necessarily have the same metabolic rate). Unfortunately, research has shown that the formerly obese have on average significantly lower metabolic rates than folks of the same size who've never been obese. So the estimate they give is likely to be higher than your real metablic rate.

I'm having both an RMR assessment for caloric consumption advice and a BodPod for composition next Tuesday. The BodPod isn't quite as accurate as the DEXA but is a lot cheaper and much more accurate than impedence scales.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

rhearob
on 6/6/12 5:22 am - TN
 I have a long post on my blog about body composition testing because, like you, I am using that to set goal.  I would go with a hydrostatic test and the metabolic rate.  Body composition monitors are good for checking trends - but NOT for getting an accurate number to baseline with.  I explain the details in my blog.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 5:28 am, edited 6/5/12 6:31 pm
Thanks everyone! Gonna check this info out more!

VSG on 6/22/11
Georgie Mayhem
on 6/6/12 6:21 am - New Zealand

Is this something that will change how you eat, work out etc?

I dont quiet understand, if you are doing all you can to get to goal and very near that then why?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views