Snacking on sunflower seeds to control urge to eat

RockinMama
on 6/6/12 2:17 am - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12
Hi everyone -

I found that snacking on sunflower seeds with the hull seems to be helping me with the urge to eat when I'm not hungry.  They dont' seem to be that fattening, and I am finding that if I snack on them while at work during the day, I'm less likely to overeat at supper.  Has anyone else discovered this?  And it seems it could be beneficial after VSG, but I'm not there yet...so I really don't know that as truth.
  5'7 CW:  306 SW: 300        
Shagdoll
on 6/6/12 2:21 am
I heard sunflower seeds are great to snack on so I need to try them. I also have had to discover something to keep my mouth busy when head hunger strikes but my iced coffees seem to be taking care of that. Thanks for mentioning the sunflower seeds!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

RockinMama
on 6/6/12 2:23 am - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12
You are so welcome and you look great btw!
Shagdoll
on 6/6/12 2:25 am
Thank you RockinMama.  :)
I look forward to hearing more about your VSG journey.  Your date is approaching fast!!! 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

AmberK
on 6/6/12 2:57 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 I was going to buy some to put in my son's goody bags for his B-day party, I believe I will by some for myself as well! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

Phyllis M.
on 6/6/12 4:04 am - Irving, TX
I started doing this about 2 weeks ago -  so far so good.....but I was concerned with the"fat" but so far - I can't tell that its hurting me...  I don't have a problem with "salt"  - so no worries there.

GOOD LUCK

I was doing pistaccios, but those tend to make me feel FULL  so I switched to seeds a few weeks ago 
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 4:18 am
Of course this is just what my group advises ... (feel like I have to disclaimer everything cause people get upset)

We are not supposed to be snacking. They want us to get to 3 meals and 2 established snacks a day (if necessary to meet nutrition goals).  NO GRAZING!

For me, mindless grazing or snacking to keep my mouth busy is in part how I got here so that is something that I work very very hard on controlling.

The NI for sunflower seeds isn't all that great, IMO, either.

When I want to eat and it's outside of when I supposed to be eating, I really try and figure out what it's about. Often I'll drink a glass of water or something to at least make myself wait 30-45 minutes before I can eat. At least by then if it's a craving or something emotional, it gives me time to figure it out. 

Again, this is just my opinion but ya asked!

VSG on 6/22/11
RockinMama
on 6/6/12 5:27 am - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12
No offense taken Could.  This is just helping me pre-op.  I am trying to ge****er down instead of mindless snacking, but it hasn't worked for me thus far.    
  5'7 CW:  306 SW: 300        
Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 6:35 am
 Whoops, missed that you are preop!!

This is the hardest time, IMO. Once you have surgery, it will much easier!

Good luck!

VSG on 6/22/11
Lina P.
on 6/6/12 6:52 am - Bolton, Canada
I swear I must have been a bird in my past life because I can go through a whole large bag in 1/2 hr. No joke.

Sunflower seeds (for me) is a big no-no slider food. I can never feel full after eating them so I've discarded them from my diet.

It may be ok in the initial stages of VSG surgery when you're in your soft protein stage because of the protein but it's a bit high in fat.
Not necessarily good during the last 15lbs of weight loss.
Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views