8 mos out, what I have learned: VSG not "one size fits all"...

Stronger1
on 7/3/12 3:30 am, edited 7/3/12 3:32 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi fellow sleevers!  Just checking in.  I am 8 months out and while I have certainly not had the fastest weight loss, I'm happy with my progress.  I have lost just over 50% of my excess weight and still working hard on it!!!  One thing I have learned and sometimes still struggle with "getting" is that the sleeve is not a one size fits all surgery.  What I see working well for others has not worked for me in many cases, and I'm still learning what MY body wants and needs.  When I first came on here I was seeing so many people hitting their goal inside a year and I hoped that I would one of those following a similar plan.  Clearly at this point, that will probably not happen.  I am able to eat a lot more than some people on here, and quite frankly, I NEED to eat more than some people on here.  I was struggling and stalling constantly eating at 600-800 calories a day...at my 6 month visit I was told by my doc I should be eating more like 1000 to 1200 calories a day.  I followed this advice (somewhat, I eat at around 1000 calories a day now), while at the same time decreasing my carb intake, and my weight loss has been steadier and I have more energy.  My resting metabolic rate is 1598, so I could potentially eat up to that (but I wont) and still lose weight.  I probably eat a little more fat that many folks here, but this seems to work for me. 

I have learned to learn more and pay attention to my body.  I have PCOS and insulin resistance and I believe this contributes GREATLY to how I lose weight and what and how much I need to eat.  I have learned that how my body responds to insulin/sugars/carbs throws the calories in/calories out equation to losing weigh out the window.  I am also coming to terms that I will need to stay off the 'drates for life.  I have learned that 90% percent of the struggle post surgery is my thinking and my attitude.  On days when I start feeling sad that I can't eat a big meal out with friends, I make bad choices.  On days when I have planned well and exercised, there isn't a Snickers bar in the world that could tempt me!  I still come here for support on days when I feel "off"...and I'm always encouraged.  I also continue to track my food everyday on myfitnesspal, even the crap I've eaten, and I keep my diary public to friends, so I can be accountable (I'm Jastrong78 on MFP, if anyone wants to add me).  I am learning that I've been doing too much cardio and have begun to replace it with more strength training, and I'm seeing better results with this.  I feel stronger and healthier and even though I still have a small child to lose, I feel like I will reach my goal. 

This has been an amazing journey for me and I hope it will continue to be.  I went from telling no one about surgery to telling anyone who asks me!!  I thank God every day that I had the courage to do this and I still pray for the courage to continue.  Best wishes to all of the OH family for success and health!!

moonglo82
on 7/3/12 3:37 am
VSG on 03/29/12
You're exactly right. This is NOT one size fits all. There are definitely some trends that work for more people than not, but that doesn't make this a cookie cutter situation by any stretch.

Glad you're finding out what works for you. Congrats on your success thus far and on what's to come!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Jennchap
on 7/3/12 3:43 am - CA
 Love ur post. You are so right, our bodies all work differently. Fats and sodium have little effect on me ..... Simple carbs on the other hand are my undoing. I'm so glad you've found what works well for you. Congrats and best wishes, you're almost there
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Stronger1
on 7/3/12 4:06 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks Jenn...you're one of my VSG idols!

Jennchap
on 7/3/12 4:07 am - CA
 Aweee thanks..... 
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

favrow812
on 7/3/12 4:08 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
Great post! Keep up the hard work!!! You and I are alike when it comes to MFP, I keep my diary public because I feel more accountability for my "off" days because I don't want to let my MFP family down! Best wishes and you are doing great!!!

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

chickerson605
on 7/3/12 4:14 am - La Vergne, TN
Thank you for the reality check and honesty. I am a new sleever and although I am having a good out of the gate success I'm sure at some point things will slow down.

You are an inspiration!!! Bless you bunches

Stronger1
on 7/3/12 4:26 am - Charlotte, NC
Thank you, and congrats on your surgery!!!  Nice loss already!!

sutherngrl94
on 7/3/12 4:22 am - Raleigh, NC
I'm glad you posted this.  I too have PCOS and have chosen to stay away from the bad carbs cuz I know they are my nemisis.  I have slipped once though.  :(  I have been staying around 800 calories and have been in a stall for a while so I'm not sure if I need to up my caloric intake or not.  Maybe I need to ask my doc about it now that you've mentioned it.

I'm so glad you feel good and I look forward to hearing about your continued success!!

Stronger1
on 7/3/12 4:31 am - Charlotte, NC

Hey fellow southern girl!!  I know, carbs are the debil!!!  Well, at least for me. Carbs, good, bad or even sugar alcohols seem to make me stall! So I limit them quite a bit.  I do indulge every so often...but I always try to work it into my plan for that day.   I wish you success as well!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views