Can't Get It All In

jenngirl
on 7/5/12 12:53 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I have been so sick since surgery last Monday. Every time I try to have Protien drinks or shakes, my tummy hurts or I get super nauseated. I have barely been able to get my water in. I am doing the best I can, but stay so nauseated. Is this normal? Not even two weeks out, and am about 20 lbs down, but it is because I am having a hard time with intake. Any suggestions??? Please help. I go back to work Monday.
happyteacher
on 7/5/12 12:59 am, edited 7/5/12 12:59 am
 I had a hard time with shakes at first too- very dense feeling.  I used a lot of Isopure in the early weeks- drinks like kkol aid and no density issue.  It is very high in protein too.  Isopure Plus is the same thing, but in 8 ounce containers.  Special K makes a drink mix that carries a good dose of protein that you can add to a water bottle, but be warned it doesn't dissolve perfectly.  Hang in there!

Edit:  try changing the temperature of whatever it is you are drinking.  Some do well with a warmer temp.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sinlaila
on 7/5/12 1:08 am - WA
VSG on 06/12/12

Call your surgeon and let them know.  They can perscribe meds for the nausea.

Desari63
on 7/5/12 1:27 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
How long since the surgery? I found that warm liquids like tea, broth, etc seem to soothe the tummy that we has so unintentionally upset with the surgery. Isopure makes a liquid protein and multiple flavors and that will help you get your protein in. Are you taking a PPI? To much acid in the tummy will have that effect too. Like the post above, talk to your doctor and see if that may be the case or if he can prescribe something for the nausea. I hope you find a happy medium in all this and trust me...it will get better and go away at some point. 

Barbara McKeown

moonglo82
on 7/5/12 2:00 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Definitely call your dr about the nausea. There are several things they can try, including a patch. Weird, huh???

As far as the protein goes, the good news is you are getting your fluids in, if I read your post right. This is a challenge for many at your stage. Just keep trying different protein supplements until you find one you like. It can be difficult to get them down at your stage. I was like Happyteacher; to me, they were all very dense and heavy at first. But I gradually got to where I could get them down in less and less time, and you will too. It just takes time for your tummy to heal and get used to anything thicker than water.

Feel better soon!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Chana
on 7/5/12 9:51 am
Can you thin them out a little with skim milk?  I did that the first week or two, when the shakes were just too darm thick.
Kelly-AnneH
on 7/5/12 10:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Thin them out with water and chill them well. My tummy likes hot or cold - not so much the room temperature.

You can also make yourself high protein broth (mix unflavoured whey into a small amount of cool water, then add ho****er and broth powder or (my fave) Better Than Bouillon.

You can make protein jello, too.. Just mix your unflavoured whey into the cold water, dissolve the jello powder in boiling water, then stir in the whey mixture. It'll look a little funny but taste just fine.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

jenngirl
on 7/8/12 11:55 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
Thanks everyone. I have not been able to get in the Isopure. It makes me gag to sip it. If I could gulp it, I could get my protien in, but  not so much. I hate the flavor. I hate the consistensy. Blech!!

I will have to try warm drinks. I have tried my Optifast Chicken Soup and still like it okay. It has flavor!!

I have tried the EAS and Atkins Drinks and I like them okay. It just takes so long to drink them. I feel like it takes all day to get 15g of Protien in and I need 5 times that amount.

I see my Doctor tomorrow. He sent me home with Rx for nausea, but I cannot keep it down. I may have to see about patches. That sounds good to me.

Again, thanks for all your responses and advice!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views