Insurance Issues

pml_rs
on 7/16/12 12:10 pm
Hello!  I'm getting more and more anxious and excited about the upcoming surgery date.  I'm 275 and 5.5.  I need this sugery.  I'm close to having diabetes, (Boarderline actually) but I have found a ton of things that were an issues, such as low potassium, low vitamin D, low iron and others.  I'm looking forward to a new start on life.  However, I have epilpsy.  I can not do the bypass, nor would I be a big fan of that.  I have seen others who have and they look GREAT!  I thought of doing the lap-band, but the Dr doesn't feel that would help me loose enough weight so we decided on the sleeve.  Given my medical history the Dr is going to write a letter to the insurance company to see if they will allow me to do the sleeve versus the lap-band.  Has anyone else gone thru this?
diane S.
on 7/16/12 2:28 pm
different states and different insurance companies vary. read my blog page under the section  "four and a half months out" which has my insurance appeal info. it is out of date as its nearly 3 years old. but its what worked for me.

you need to take an active part in your appeal and not just expect your doctor to do it for you. look at the appeal procedures in your insurance plan.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

pml_rs
on 7/17/12 2:17 am
Thank you so much!  Is it okay if I plagerize to a certain degree?  Obviously we don't have the same cir****tances, but we have a lot in common!  What a great letter you wrote.  I do not write as eloquently as you do, nor have I had the opportunity to research in as thorough detail as you.  I will however change things and make it my own with your permission!  :)  
diane S.
on 7/17/12 2:56 am
yeah, copy all you want. lots of people in my state did this until the rule changed. thats why i posted it.

But be sure to update the research. The ASBMS now has a statement approving vsg and at the time i did my appeal they didn't have that. and there are more studies and stuff out there.  kind of depends on their reason for denial. in my case, they thought it was investigational. your denial reasons may be different. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views