What would YOU like to hear in a support group presentation?

Could_It_Be
on 8/1/12 5:15 am
 Hey there-

I've been asked to give a little presentation of "my journey" at our next support group meeting. The group has people at verious stages- from 3 years out to pre-op.

I was wondering if you had heard any presentations that stuck out in your mind or if there were things you hoped people would have talked about?? 

Of course I'll focus on the positives but will also briefly discuss the challenges- I had a rough start with my stomach just not wanting to 'wake up' so I will address that, hopefully without scaring pre-ops. I'm also lactose intolerant, which is not a biggie.

Any other things you all think would be beneficial to talk about to the group? 

Thanks so much!

VSG on 6/22/11
Shagdoll
on 8/1/12 5:24 am, edited 8/1/12 6:44 am
Maybe discuss how to deal with creeps of the opposite sex. I swear I wish I was a lesbian sometimes!!!

Actually, I think a great topic would be how you are dealing with your new smaller body.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Happy966
on 8/1/12 6:23 am

No, dear Jenn.  You can find creeps on both teams.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Shagdoll
on 8/1/12 11:51 am
Darn, it was a nice thought!!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

MuttLover
on 8/1/12 5:28 am
VSG on 11/14/12
I would be interested in knowing when you no longer considered yourself fat!  From posts and personal experience, it seems many of us still "feel fat" or "look fat" even when we have lost a lot of weight -- and that messes with our ability to keep eating correctly -- because we aren't  "seeing" results.

I think in presentations, people like to hear funny stories, to balance out the risks, bad stuff, etc.  So maybe something funny that happened.  Stories I've hear range from a person's own mother not recognizing her immediately, to a woman who almost lost her baggy pants at church. 

Lowest point (if there was one) and most satisfying point. 

If you are married/in a relationship - how did that change?  Supportiveness of SO or Spouse.  Or stupid things that Spouse/SO did that they didn't realize were stupid -- ie, kind of a concrete example of how you have to be sure to communicate clearly so they understand what comments are helpful/hurtful.

That's enough from me --let's see what other people want to know!
vogue
on 8/1/12 5:35 am
VSG on 08/30/12
Id want to hear about the things that surprised you.... the things they didnt tell you about or didnt tell you enough about or the things you didnt expect...
Cinderella50
on 8/1/12 5:35 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
As a pre-op I am always curious as to whether you'd do it again or not. How to manage the pre-op diet (mine is all liquid), hair loss???? YIKES, if you miss your favorite foods, what meal times are like with your family or at work. Wish I could come to hear your presentation. Good Luck!

loverofcats
on 8/1/12 5:56 am
Everything that other people said, but I would also stress that to be successful, it is all about changes in lifestyle and healthier choices. WLS is just a tool. We have to do the the rest. I think food tracking, support (face to face and online) frequent weighing, exercise (including weight training), not eating fast food, taking vitamins, protein first, are the tools for success.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Could_It_Be
on 8/1/12 7:57 am
Great suggestions!!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

VSG on 6/22/11
Barbara W.
on 8/1/12 8:18 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
A good topic would be about those who lose large amounts of weight right