anybody who had to inject get big bruises?? Lovanox...

danzeppelin
on 8/12/12 10:20 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
I have to inject myself with lovenox morning and night....the first couple of injections I did wrong, or something, I got these two huge bruises on my gut... The last three I've done pretty good...they're just little bruises... The thing is ya think it will effect my surgery on Wednesday?? Kinda looks looks I've already been through abdominal hell....
Anybody else lack technique in giving yourself shots and look like ya had Bruce Lee kick ya in the gut?

Ohiogirl
on 8/12/12 10:31 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Gosh - i can't help you but I'll be looking for you answers as I will have to be doing the same and I have never self injected either.

Good luck!
danzeppelin
on 8/12/12 10:46 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
Well I found that you have to put them in more on your flanks than in your stomach....so... good to read instructions carefully...(guy thing..who needs instructions??) It's not a real hard thing to do, the med burns a little, but don't rub it.(makes the bruise worse)
Anyway...here is more useful information.
The old disclaimer tho...I'm not a doctor. I do not play a doctor on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once... Ask your medical professional for proper technique instruction, don't just assume you could do it like I did.

Missey J.
on 8/12/12 10:51 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
I was in the hospital last year for a month and they gave me Lovanox daily and I had a HUGE bruise across my tummy. It was all the way from one side to the other.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
danzeppelin
on 8/12/12 11:02 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
That's the way mine is...was it a nurse that gave you the bruise?
Cause if so...maybe..my technique ain't so....naw! It sucks

Calking
on 8/13/12 12:55 am
VSG on 05/31/12
It is normal to get bruises with these shots.  Think it through.  Lovenox is to prevent blood clots.  It does this by thinning your blood.  With thinner blood, it is easier to reach the surface and cause bruising.

By the way, I had a nurse post op hours after surgery give me heparin shots which is a blood clot preventative.  She have me two on my left side almost as high up as my belly button.  No bruising. She gave me one on my right side, very low on my belly ... two inches lower and we would be talking thigh. I thought nothing of it.  A week after surgery that area looked like a vericose vein.  It was a three inch bluish vein looking thing.  Another week goes by and it was blood red with major bruising covering an area about three palm sizes.  This freaked me out because it was two weeks after surgery and wasn't even thinking about that little shot of heparin I had on day of surgery ... especially since other two shots did nothing.  I thought I had internal bleeding or something.  Called the surgeons office and a person that worked there asked about heparin.  I got my sides mixed up as I only saw this initially in the mirror .... lol.  I said I had the shots but they were higher up ... mixing up sides.  Called my primary care physician for an appointment the next day.  While sitting there I finally remembered this bruise was in exactly the spot I had the heparin shot.

Speaking with the doctor, she said it was very likely why I had the bruise and it makes sense that anti blood clotting medicine could very easily cause bruising.  It will not affect your surgery at all.  I can't imagine a surgeon that is aware of why the bruise is there might have any issue with surgery going on as expected.  On a side note that part is my opinion and you should ask your surgeon to put your mind at ease.  Likely he will have a little chuckle and tell you there is nothing to worry about.

I have a lot more to that story but you got the main point.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

danzeppelin
on 8/13/12 5:46 am
VSG on 08/15/12
Thank you Calking. Sets my mind at ease. I surely appreciate it.

I just looked at it like giving an insulin shot. My Grandma took them shots for years, and I helped her many times. This stuff is a completely different animal... What you say makes complete sense. (And here I was worried about my technique! Lol! Just kidding.)

By the way, congrats on your loss! Looks like you're working that sleeve right! Close to goal! Way to go!
Day after tomorrow, and I'll be on the table...join ya there on that bench when it's all said n done.

Thanks again.

Chenoa
on 8/13/12 5:59 am - Kingston, PA
VSG on 05/07/12
I had to take them a few years ago and I had baseball size brusing on my stomach.

HW 373 PreOp 338 Day of Surgery 321 1st 34lbs 287 2nd 8lbs 278 3rd 13lbs 265
4th 7lbs 258 5th 10lbs 248
6th 4lbs 244 7th 2lbs 242 8th 0lbs 242 9th 0 242

Tracasa
on 8/13/12 9:50 am
First make sure you have the needle facing down, pinch your skin then go! This should not effect surgery at all, it's just bruising under the skin. I'm a retired lab tech and this common for most who aren't trained to give injections.

Hislady
on 8/13/12 1:10 pm - Vancouver, WA
You should be fine I've taken them before and after 13ish surgeries in the last few years. Yes they will cause bruising doesn't really matter your techniques they just do it, I did mine in the stomach less feeling there! Two days before my band surgery I was too thin and bruising all over so they just had me stop the shots and rechecked me before surgery and I was back to normal so they went ahead with the surgery. The effects of the lovonox only last about 12 hrs so isn't as long lasting as say coumadin. I would also advise according to my nurse to not pinch the skin it can make it brise more and hurt more. I've never pinched and it hardly hurts at all. You'll do great!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views