I did it! Onederland! 175 lost, 14 months post VSG

sleevegirl
on 8/22/12 7:13 am - Austin, TX
Okay, I'm just going to mainly point you to my personal blog post for the details and all the fun part (read that first and for fun photos LOL), but I'll share stuff below that I didn't share there. This is long and rambling and overly honest (I know you guys would expect no less from me) LOL

But hell yeah! I did it! I usually stall this week so I was NOT expecting to hit onderland until next week at the earliest but I got on the scale, got off. Got on. Got off. Took a photo. Got on. Got off. *laughing*

For those of you just starting out, especially those that started out SMO (I was 375 and am 5'6") know that YOU CAN DO THIS. It takes times. You are going to stall. You are probably even going to gain a pound or two. It WILL come off.

My pattern (and many people I talk to here) of losing has been stair-stepping but in a weird fashion. I don't record any gains, but if you go to my profile (click on my username under my photo) and scroll all the way down, you will see my weekly and monthly numbers. What you don't see is that I do weigh every day (I want that accountability and I've learned to not worry if thd scale goes up or doesn't move from day to day, but you have to do what works for YOU). What you don't see is that I will lose 2-4 pounds, then go up 1-3 pounds, then go back down to where I started, lose 2-4 pounds, then go up 1-3 pounds, then go back down to where I started. Rinse, Reuse, Repeat.

I see so many people freaking out. Stop it. Trust in yourself and your plan. Do what you're supposed to be doing.

I also don't always follow the heavy plan you see promoted here. I do, for the most part, but I also say that I stay 90% on plan. I plan days where I go over my numbers. Heck, I can even plan a nice dinner out with dessert with my husband and still only go over on carbs. It CAN be done. Find what works FOR YOU and work it.

Does that mean that I've forced myself to lose slowly? I dunno. 175 pounds in 14 months doesn't sound too bad to me. Yes, I might have to tighten up as I get closer to goal, but I'm always ALWAYS aware of what I'm eating and doing. I have, a few times, done something mindlessly, but I work VERY hard at being very concious of what I'm doing.

Right now.... at 14 months out, I eat 800 calories a day, try to stay around 40 carbs and get at least 70-100 protein. I do take Miralax and/or ducolax daily for a supplement. I take ALL of my vitamins and drink like a fish. I drink coffee (with caffeine) a few times per week. That is what is working FOR ME. I go over my carbs at least a few days per week, but I try to not overdo because carbs do slow me down.

Last month, I lost 6 pounds. This month I lost 10 pounds. That's at month 14, people. That's also, sadly, without working out like I used to. I got really thrown for a loop when I had neck fusion surgery in April and I've admittedly lost momentum. My goal for month 15 is to get back on the workout wagon. I definitely have lost some muscle mass and now that I'm fully healed and cleared for everything, I'm ready to hit it again.

Things I cannot do anymore:

1. Drink soda. It freaking HURTS. I don't know how some of you guys are drinking anything carbonated. I have a friend that manages to drink beer, but it feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest. I've never actually tried it on purpose, but a few times, I grabbed the wrong cup and OMG. I'm counting this as a good thing because I was a MAJOR diet coke addict before this.

2. Eat much of anything fried or greasy. I never was a fried food lover, but nowadays, if I eat anything that's cooked in anything less than minimal oils, I get sick feeling. I just don't do it.

3. Eat chicken wings or any dark meat chicken. It sits like a rock and leaves me feeling really ill.

4. Eat pork that hasn't been slow cooked. Pork is not my friend. I do miss a nice grilled chop, but well, it's a small price to pay.

5. Eat bread or pasta. I actually can eat small amounts, but more than a few bites (and I really do like both so I do allow myself small amounts on very rare occasions) and I'm in pain. My stomach, even at this far out, doesn't like anything that swells.

Things I can do... well, I can't even begin to list them. My life is so vastly different, but I will tell you that the best part of this journey has been my family. My husband has been amazing and has stepped up in ways that, well... he's just amazing. My son has lost 20 pounds and looks great. My daughter is an amazing cheerleader, but my son. He's really the cheerleader. One of the highlights was late last year when I picked him up at school. He ran up to me put his arms around me like he usually does, stopped. Looked at me. Hugged me again and then whispered very quietly in my ear with a huge smile "Mom, my hands touch when I hug you!". He now will give me the measure test now and then with a big hug and show me how far his arms overlap.

I actually had to excuse myself from a restaurant a couple of weeks ago. I used to not fit in restaurant booths very comfortably (if at all) and my daughter was sitting beside me against the wall and needed to go to the bathroom. She slid across my lap and went. I sat there for a minute before I realized what happened. I had to spend a few minutes in the bathroom getting myself together because I could NOT believe that just happened.

I'm also going to give a big nod to mental health, guys. I lied to myself for years about my weight. I was STILL lying to myself when I visited my surgeon for the first time. About a month before surgery I had to really look deep into myself and I knew that no one gets to be as big as I was because they are hungry. I have a lot of deep dark horrible reasons why I gained to 375, I can pretend that they don't matter all I want. I'm 37. I got married and left home when I was 18. I've been very very happily married for nearly 20 years. But those first 17 years STILL matter. What happens in your life, throughout your entire life, stays with you. I urge you guys... seriously and completely. If you have a lot of weight to lose, please seek a counselor. Even if you find with them that there's nothing really there, at least take a few sessions to make sure you've worked on yourself fully. I honestly believe that my therapist is probably the most important tool in my arsenal, even more than my surgeon.

The bottom line is that you are your own success. The surgery matters little, at the end of the day. It's a tool (yes, cliche). You have to use that tool properly for it to work. I plan on working it until the very end.

One more thing... I read a lot that people stop losing at 6 months out. Or 12 months out. Or whatever number. I don't believe that. I believe that if you do what you're supposed to do, you can keep losing. YOU control what you eat. YOU control your exercise. YOU can do this.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

nanarama
on 8/22/12 7:23 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
Oh my gosh!  What a fantastic post.  Just read through the whole thing and now can't wait to go look at your blog.  I wanted to put comments in after just about every paragraph.  But I'll restrain myself!! 

To say congratulations or awesome job, etc., just doesn't seem like enough.  It's more than that.  Not only have you been unbelievably successful, but you just shared so very much of yourself and your journey.  Your post applies to everybody at every stage - including maintenance I think!  It's so real and down to earth. 

Plus, it made me laugh a couple times too! 

I am so very thrilled for your success .... and for your happiness, both recently and in your marriage!  I am seriously at a loss for words for what else to say.  But I will add great, great job!!  Nicely done!

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

sleevegirl
on 8/22/12 8:09 am - Austin, TX
Thanks, sweetie. Honestly, I don't know what to say myself. A year is really a short period of time to adjust both mentally and physically and I'm still working my head around it all.

I will tell you that because it's been a longer journey than some here that I actually have put myself into maintenance mode for a week or two at a time because I just needed that mental health break. It is really draining at a times to always be "on it". BUT doing what works for you is what matters most.

You got this too, you know. Believe in yourself fully.

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Mom4Jazz
on 8/22/12 8:29 am
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Congratulations!

In spite of all you've been through, you've done just amazingly well! And you've caught me on the weight loss...you'll pass me soon since I'm in maintenance. Yay you!!

Off to read the blog.....

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

sleevegirl
on 8/22/12 9:12 am - Austin, TX
Heh... I still gotta catch you weight-wise... trust me, I'm chasing your skinny butt :) Hehehe... thanks, you are always so sweet and caring. Will you adopt me? ;)

Mom4Jazz
on 8/22/12 4:37 am, edited 8/22/12 4:38 am
Consider yourself adopted.

I actually think I'm a little too thin (I'm 5' 8 1/2"). Been trying to steel my resolve to go back up to 150 but deliberately gaining is flat out too scary at this point. I think if I had plastics on my legs I'd lose another 5, maybe another 5 if I had a full body lift (the loose stuff is all over, not in one particular place).

My butt is not skinny, btw. My butt is non-existent. It just dropped off and left a droop of skin below each former cheek. Wide hips, no butt. It's a look.

sleevegirl
on 8/22/12 12:18 pm - Austin, TX
*laughing* OMG, you're trying to kill me. I just chocked on my letteuce wrap.

I have an amazing flat butt. I ALWAYS did. Even when I was 375. I have little tiny droopy cheeks. It's so freaking weird.

Eep. Yeah. Intentionally gaining must be scary for sure. I hope you find what you need to do. I think regain terrifies us all so much that it's rough to even thinking about doing it on purpose. You know yourself better than anyone else though. xoxo

Mom4Jazz
on 8/22/12 5:52 am, edited 8/22/12 5:52 am
On the odd body topic, I was the only flat-chested fat chick I knew...wore 52B bras back in the day. Who makes 52B bras? Why pretty much nobody, you have to take Cs and make 'em work. Now I wear a 34AA. Those are easy to find - they're called training bras. They come in pink and cute stripes and whatever else is popular with the early middle school set at the moment. I like the padded ones because then I can pretend I have boobs. See what a rough life I lead?

Just getting the freakin' weight loss stopped was a huge stride. Lots of folks look and say "Whoa, 32 lbs below goal, awesome!" and maybe the first 20 or so were awesome. The last 5 or 10 not so much.

I always hate saying that because I know how some folks have struggled with those last 20 lbs. It almost seems horrible to say "Gee, I wish I hadn't lost quite this much." But I do make an effort to keep it real, ya know?

Anyway, I'm just trying right now to not lose another pound and see how things shift around in the next few months. If I don't see any bounce back, I'll consider upping my calories like 100 a day and slowly gaining some back.

sleevegirl
on 8/22/12 3:54 pm - Austin, TX
I have had the weirdest time so far with bras. I went from a C to DD to D to DD and back to a D. My band size has changed so many times and I guess the cups don't always change so the measurement differences are always off. I'm honestly trying not to laugh, but I can just see you sporting around with a pink little bra on with a little bow in the front. OMG. Did you find the matching panty set? LOL... sorry!

No, I can imagine that it's tough. I think you're on the right track though... see where your body settles at over the next little bit and then think about what you want to do. Ha! I bet if I told you 3 years ago that you'd want to gain weight one day you would have looked at me like I have 3 eyes...

LALAinGA
on 8/22/12 7:30 am - GA
Congrats!!! What an inspiration!!!!! Way to go!!!!
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 36 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 36 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 280 views